Richlands #1, Graham #10 in latest AA AP Poll...

GMan

Class AA

1. Richlands (6)

2. Salem (3)

3. Liberty (Bealeton) (1)

4. Liberty (Bedford)

5. Harrisonburg

6. Amherst (2)

7. Turner Ashby

8. Louisa

9. Powhatan

10. Graham

Others: Hidden Vally, Orange County, William Fleming, Cave Spring, York, Magna Vista, Courtland, Handley, Heritage (Leesburg), Grafton, R.E. Lee (Staunton)

Class A

1. Manassas Park (6) 4-0 , 88

2. Franklin (3) 3-0 , 83

3. Rural Retreat (1) 4-0 , 66

4. J.I. Burton 5-0, 63

4. Gretna 4-0 , 63

6. King Wm (1) 4-0 , 52

7. Glenvar 3-0 , 41

7. Wm Campbell (1) 3-1 , 41

9. Washington & Lee 3-0 , 38

10. Buffalo Gap 4-0 , 31

Others receiving votes: Gate City 24, Chatham 21, Stonewall Jack. 20, Goochland 15, Honaker 12, Chilhowie 9, Mathews 7, Giles 6, Essex 2, Windsor 1

Guest old_school

[ QUOTE ]

Salem will probably get beat soon. They haven't played any good talented teams yet. Martinsville tied them 14-14 in a scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Salem plays Fleming next and they will have a tough time with them. They will also have to watch for Pulaski Co. now that they are healthy.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Salem will probably get beat soon. They haven't played any good talented teams yet. Martinsville tied them 14-14 in a scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Salem plays Fleming next and they will have a tough time with them. They will also have to watch for Pulaski Co. now that they are healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Pulaski, are they already out of the Virginia playoff picture or could they still get in?

They are still in the hunt. If they win the River Ridge they are in. If they only lose one more game, they still have a shot but will come down to points for the 4th seed in the Region.

They are still in the hunt. If they win the River Ridge they are in. If they only lose one more game, they still have a shot but will come down to points for the 4th seed in the Region.

Unlike last year when 8-2 wasn't good enough to get in, 6-4 might do the job this year. Fleming is a lock from the Blue Ridge, and Salem and Amherst look to be headed for playoff spots. That leaves PC (2-2), JF (0-3), Heritage (1-2), and Staunton River (2-1) to compete for the final spot. All three of those Seminole schools will likely lose at least two more games (Liberty & Amherst). If Pulaski loses only one more game (a district game), they're in barring some major Seminole upsets. Two more losses for the Cougars and they'll still have a solid shot.

Liberty moving back to Division 3 has opened up a playoff spot in Division 4.

[ QUOTE ]

Class AA

1. Richlands (6)

2. Salem (3)

3. Liberty (Bealeton) (1)

4. Liberty (Bedford)

5. Harrisonburg

6. Amherst (2)

7. Turner Ashby

8. Louisa

9. Powhatan

10. Graham

Others: Hidden Vally, Orange County, William Fleming, Cave Spring, York, Magna Vista, Courtland, Handley, Heritage (Leesburg), Grafton, R.E. Lee (Staunton)

Class A

1. Manassas Park (6) 4-0 , 88

2. Franklin (3) 3-0 , 83

3. Rural Retreat (1) 4-0 , 66

4. J.I. Burton 5-0, 63

4. Gretna 4-0 , 63

6. King Wm (1) 4-0 , 52

7. Glenvar 3-0 , 41

7. Wm Campbell (1) 3-1 , 41

9. Washington & Lee 3-0 , 38

10. Buffalo Gap 4-0 , 31

Others receiving votes: Gate City 24, Chatham 21, Stonewall Jack. 20, Goochland 15, Honaker 12, Chilhowie 9, Mathews 7, Giles 6, Essex 2, Windsor 1

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the Richlands ranking in the Richmond Times Dispatch while eating lunch at work today. It made me hellified happy. Is this the first AP sportswriter's poll of the year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the last 20-some odd years ... I don't EVER remember the Blues entering in the first slot, even in 92.

Best wishes to them and my hopes they treat every week like championship week, staying focused and finding even the smallest detail to improve! Props guys.

Question: Who besides Graham and Liberty (Beal) -- I think -- is D-3 in those 10?

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands, Liberty-Bedford, Turner Ashby and Graham are the Division 3 schools in the top 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands - 781 students

Liberty - 1037 students

Turner Ashby - 712 students

Graham - 385 students

Looks like somebody has a slight advantage...

(Enrollment #s are according to the 2005-06 VHSL School Directory)

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands - 781 students

Liberty - 1037 students

Turner Ashby - 712 students

Graham - 385 students

Looks like somebody has a slight advantage...

(Enrollment #s are according to the 2005-06 VHSL School Directory)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with the current system at all. Splitting the divisions on a regional basis is fair and equitable.

baghdad-bob.jpg

- Don Bock, Chairman of VHSL Executive Committee

Tunstall almost beat Gretna Monday night. Tunstall had Gretna 21-7 at halftime. Tunstall's starting running back was eating them up in the first half, but had to sit out the second half because of "turf toe". Anyways, Gretna worked their way back and kicked a 25yd. field goal with a couple seconds left in the game. 22-21 Gretna. In two weeks we (Martinsville) play them. Hopefully we can knock off that 32 or 33 game winning streak. That would be a big win for us.

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands, Liberty-Bedford, Turner Ashby and Graham are the Division 3 schools in the top 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a serious note, Richlands folks (and Region IV fans in general) shouldn't overlook Turner Ashby. The Valley District is pretty well stocked with great athletes, and they play a pretty fundamentally sound brand of football up that way.

I still stand by my prediction that the victor in the semifinal game between Region III and Region IV will win the Division 3 title, but it won't be an easy chore.

(I'm wavering a little bit on my prediction that the actual semifinal matchup will be Richlands vs. Liberty, but a good effort by the Minutemen against Staunton River on Friday will boost my confidence once more.)

Freshman classes are always quite large, but drop-off quite a bit by the time graduation rolls around. When I was a freshman we had 245 in my class, by the time graduation day rolled around only 184 graduated. The same thing happens almost everywhere with an average dropoff of 15%. Many things contribute to such including people moving, kids failing a grade, kids dropping out, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Freshman classes are always quite large, but drop-off quite a bit by the time graduation rolls around. When I was a freshman we had 245 in my class, by the time graduation day rolled around only 184 graduated. The same thing happens almost everywhere with an average dropoff of 15%. Many things contribute to such including people moving, kids failing a grade, kids dropping out, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...well we started with maybe a hundred as a freshman class and are down to 90

point is classes are getting bigger.