WVU's finest showing great class...

GMan

Going to a college or pro football game for the first time or 100th can be an exhilarating experience, But if you have to put up with the drunks and unruly fans it can be a nightmare. I have decided to not use my money to attend any pro or college game anymore. I will watch it for free on my tv, or listen to it on the radio. I have a simple solution that will put an end to 99% of unruly fan behavior.

Pro Teams: Stop selling alcohol

College Teams: Break up the blatant use of alcohol in tailgating activities.

Until someone takes a stand and says "It's not cool to get drunk, spill beer, and throw up", then this is going to keep continuing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Going to a college or pro football game for the first time or 100th can be an exhilarating experience, But if you have to put up with the drunks and unruly fans it can be a nightmare. I have decided to not use my money to attend any pro or college game anymore. I will watch it for free on my tv, or listen to it on the radio. I have a simple solution that will put an end to 99% of unruly fan behavior.

Pro Teams: Stop selling alcohol

College Teams: Break up the blatant use of alcohol in tailgating activities.

Until someone takes a stand and says "It's not cool to get drunk, spill beer, and throw up", then this is going to keep continuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You take that approach, and the game will be played in front of 15-20,000 in a 80,000 seat stadium. The underlying theme is no action will be taken to stop the flow of paying customers. If you cut off booze, you'll cut off your fan base that attends every home game. Its chopping off your nose to spite your face.

Now if paying customers begin to stay away because of drunken debauchery, some measures will be implemented by school officals and local law enforcement.

The bottom line is the fans and customers will dictate the level of order or lack of order by voicing their preferance wilth their wallet.

[ QUOTE ]

they usually suck but have had a few good years and may have a few more good yrs in the future but reality will settle in again and people will see that VT is still just a wanna be in college athletics

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep 3 Big East Championships, one ACC Championship and 12 consecutive bowl trips really sucks! smirk.gif

Lets be honest here, WVU fans and anti-VT people have been saying this for 12 years. So I have a question, when is this supposed drop-off going to occur? The Hokies continue getting better and better players. And now more of the nation's best recruits are looking seriously at VT.

It reminds me of the Graham fans preaching that "one day Bluefield will fall from their throne and not be any good anymore." They proclaimed that it had happened after the 2001 Beaver/Graham, that Bluefield football was done and Graham was the supreme power now. Well four years later Bluefield has been to three straight state title games and won a state title. So much for the downfall of the empire huh?

And the statement by Tom, and not to pick on you Tom, hits home to the biggest reason WVU fans hate Virginia Tech. The Hokies are, in the minds of WVU fans, where WVU should be. The Hokies succeeded where WVU fell short. After WVU reached the national title game in January of 1989 WVU’s program was on the rise. It was ready to take that next step and become the new “Beast of the East.†However, thing didn’t work out that way for WVU.

WVU followed up the 1988 undefeated season by posting a very respectable 8-3-1 mark. However, the following three seasons saw WVU hit hard times again going 4-7, 6-5, and 5-4-2 in consecutive seasons. Then 1993 came along and WVU once again rose to national contender going undefeated throughout the regular season, but were snubbed by the media from the national title game and forced to face Florida. The Gators would rout the Mountaineers in that game ending WVU’s season at 11-1.

Following 1993, much like 1988, WVU was again supposed to rise to become a yearly national power. Unfortunately, WVU could never get over that hump. From 1994-2004 WVU would post eight winning seasons in those 11 years, but could never post fewer than four losses during that same span. The march toward elite status in college football has left WVU running uphill in sand.

Now move over to VT. Frank Beamer’s arrival in Blacksburg was greeted by NCAA sanctions thanks to the poor decision made by the last staff to reside in Blacksburg. However, as the sanctions against the program ended something began to change in Blacksburg. Beamer began to turn the program around and it began in earnest during the 1993 season. The Hokies entered that season fresh off a 2-8-1 campaign in 1992, so the expectations in Blacksburg were not that high. However, that quickly changes as winning returned to the program. The Hokies posted an 8-3 regular season and received their first of 12 straight bowl bids, thrashing Indiana 45-21 in the Independence Bowl.

Tech followed up 1993 with another 8-3 regular season in 1994, but a Gator Bowl loss to Tennessee to finish at 8-4. The 1995 and 1996 seasons saw the Hokies back-to-back 10-win seasons including a 28-10 thumping of Texas in the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 1995 season. The 1997 season saw the Hokies have the lowest win total it has had since 1992, posting only a 7-5 mark. Then came 1998 and a 9-3 record, which including pounding poor Alabama 38-7 in the Music City Bowl.

Finally, in 1999 the hard work of Beamer and his staff paid off at the Hokies would finished the regular season undefeated and earn the right to play for the national title. And after trailing FSU 28-7 early on the Hokies would rally behind Michael Vick’s unbelievable ability to take a 29-28 lead at the end of the 3rd quarter. However, the depth of FSU was too much and the Hokies would fall 46-29.

Unlike WVU though, the Hokies have shown they have staying power at the top of college football, posting three 10-win seasons in the five since the 1999 season including another 11-1 season in 2000. And they have finished with no less than 8 wins in the other two years. They’ve been ranked in the top five of the national polls at some point during six of the last seven years, counting their current ranking of 3rd. They’ve garnered nation-wide respect from coast-to-coast and many in the media love them b/c of the blue-collar work ethic and their crazy, loyal, and diehard fans.

For WVU fans this is hard to imagine if you look back to the late 1980s when they were the program on the rise and VT was going down the tubes. Now, more than a decade later VT is the program on the rise, the one getting into the ACC and securing their future. While WVU’s future is left in limbo with the severely weakened Big East holding onto their place among the elite conferences by a thread. While in Blacksburg, the building of a program continues and soars full-steam ahead. That folks, is where the hate for Virginia Tech lies. It lies in the fact that in the minds of WVU fans they should be where Virginia Tech is at now. Call it jealously, call it envy, call it whatever you like, but that’s why this hate is what it has become.

rules, you and i are friends so we can argue the VT/WVU point as friends..lol and i agree with your comment that VT is right now where WVU wants to be..not ACC wise but national prominence wise..WV rarely gets any national respect and when they do, they blow it with a blowout loss or a loss to an unranked team...VT has had a nice run but im tellin ya, it may be a few yrs down the road but the streak will end and they will be back to being a mediocre program at best..its destiny..look at OK, NEB, Penn St,..its bound to happen, things change..it will happen to Tech as well..as for jealousy..im no means jealous, WVU has let me down so many times it isnt funny, they frustrate me to no end..luckily i have my FIRST love, the Vol team right close by for me but i just have never ever liked Tech..ever, never will..true WVU/VT fans usually despise the other team..

[ QUOTE ]

on the Rivals board this week...pathetic...some people are too stupid to realize how ignorant they make the whole state of West Virginia look...

[/ QUOTE ]

And I get pissed on for trying to make a YAHOO thread for NCAA basketball March Madness ... that just happened to be created already. My motive was positive for the entire board.

ROTFLMFAO

Sorry for my earlier spam. lol