Cola - What Happened at the School Board

Hacker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure can. Started with Shea Cook opening upwith a brief history and present status. I followed with existing conditions and explaining that the public doesnt know what the School Board plans because we have not seen anything. Jason Herndon followed with present concerns and a more feasible solution. Steve Davis was rude, Unlike he was when I talked with him a few years ago when I voted for him. He sent the message loud and clear. Dont call us we will call you.

PS Randy C. I saw your eyes and they deceive you. Be glad Im not in your district.

Thanks for the information. Is it true there is $121,000 in the bank to help pay for the fieldhouse?

I am always amazed that so many elected officials forget that they owe their citizens old fashioned courtesy when they appear before them. The power seems to go to their heads and they forget the lesson they should have learned in Kindergarten: "treat others the way you want to be treated."

Keep the pressure up.

I am not only for sports, I support our children in any endeavor. I approached the School Board as a parent not a football fan, Mr Davis disrespected my friends that attended and the children that could benifit from the Activities complex we asked for.

There is a new group meeting Saturday morning at V& V to have breakfast and discuss plans to take. All are welcome. just buy your own breakfast hehehehe. we are comitted to do something.

My son wont get to use this facility, but someone will and they will smile and do a little bit more because we care. come on out and visit with us. Breakfast @ 830 am- V&V .

The Sat. meeting is a great idea. If I didn't have to work, I would sure be there. I have sorta been on the sidelines (no pun intended) since the early 90's, when I upset people from the school board to Richmond. First over our coach and then over the outdated computers in the class rooms at RHS. Don't know if I made a difference or not with the computers, but I had some people avoiding me. The lack of a fieldhouse and the unacceptable conditions our players have had to endure, while the money just keeps rolling in, has been a sore spot with me for a LONG time. The key is to get a bunch of people committed and once you sink your teeth in, don't let go. They may act as if you don't matter at a meeting, but they can't stop you from having your own meeting, talking it up anywhere in public, and doing everything you can to cost them their precious position next election. OK.....there's my daily rant....I feel better.

I believe that the reason you do not have a field house is because you wouldnt name it after mike compton. He was going to pay half, if you would name it after him, but some idiots from Richlands said they wanted to call it something else. Pretty stupid saying no, considering someone is offering to pay half on the field house. What did Steve Davis do, and what did Randy C. eyes decieve him from?

hope you guys from richlands get your field house. no matter how everyone reacted earlier this year to the mitchell stadium debacle with the city of blfd and the school board it does not matter if you need one the school board should be willing to build this so the kids have a safe place during games. again good luck. if i was still a resident of tazewell county i would be there to support you all in this endevor.

[ QUOTE ]

I believe that the reason you do not have a field house is because you wouldnt name it after mike compton. He was going to pay half, if you would name it after him, but some idiots from Richlands said they wanted to call it something else. Pretty stupid saying no, considering someone is offering to pay half on the field house. What did Steve Davis do, and what did Randy C. eyes decieve him from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? In a day and age where we name stadiums after everything from beer to ketchup, we can't name a field house after the most sucessful athlete in school history?

I can't speak to recent reasons, but I know why it didn't get built in the early to mid 90's. I won't say why, since I don't want to revisit things that are over and done and can't be changed. I will say, however, that some folks should be ashamed of themselves and probably would be if they had to explain themselves in a public forum today.

I think We need a fieldhouse even before I graduated in 2002,the locker rooms at the highschool where falling apart,they stink,tiles are coming up off the floor,its hot and muggy,only one shower works. The weightroom needs to be expanded,when you get 40+ athletes in there working,it gets crowed.

If you look in this weeks Richlands Paper, and I know it's just words at this point. But, if you look at Mr. Davis and his re election ad, he has some area concerns they are working on, and one of the key points says:

<font color="red">much needed attention to Richlands High School that would include a new athletic fieldhouse </font>

I know this doesn't mean it's gonna happen. But, if it doesn't we could always plaster his vehicle with copies of this ad. cool.gif

We have a group starting to form and we are growing, word of mouth is great and we have one agenda. get the kids taken care of. Richlands needs an Activities building. Graham needs their own field, Tazewell needs new bleachers and something with that track being so close. Tazewell county is a great place to raise our children, I thinks its time to focus more on their needs.

i doubt that you will ever see the school board put out the money needed to build a field for graham with the possibility of consolidation in the future. they will probably just wait and take care of that when that happens and the county goes to only 2 highschools.

i think cola needs to run for the school board, i do remember when davis stood outside the richlands football games & was pulling for his votes, the people in this county make the difference not the school board. they need to look at whats going on instead of whats going on with each of them.

Well...this is simple...build a complex somewhere between Richlands and Tazewell in one of those big empty cow pastures that has enough parking for everyone , a new field turf stadium that you can have concerts and all that kind of stuff...track meets and everything...facilities that are open to the public to use with a membership or something? make it a multi functional type place...if Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands all wanted to use it...it would be ok...pick one of the 3 to play on saturday and rotate it every year, the other two can rotate schedules..one home one away each week or open...you could have 3 teams using it easy...then if there is a consolidation later on...it's central to any future schools.

The money Graham pays to play at Mitchell every year would make a good payment.

It sounds like a lot of money to raise, but if you have kids from 3 schools raising money for it, it wouldn't take long...plus you could do like everyone else does and "rent" out the name "Food City Stadium" or whatever...hell I bet Smiley would buy it if you named it after him...he's a football nut.

Let's see here

The money the TCSB pays to rent Mitchell Stadium for Graham $30,000 per year

The payments on a new 10 million dollar stadium @7% for 30yr

$66,530 per month

That would only leave the School board needing

$798,000 per year

down side to 3 teams using the same field each year is wear and tear on the field would be 3 times that of any one field at each school. and that does not take into count any other uses of the field by track teams middle school teams and others wanting to use the field.not saying that it would not be managable if volunteers from around the county pitched in to help with maintaince of the field could keep the cost down. and the field in good shape.

it wouldn't take much to maintain it if you used the new field-turf that so many teams are using now. it looks like real fescue grass. tusculum college has it in their indoor facility that we use during camp ( 2 adays ). real durable. i think the only thing they do is sweep and disinfect regularly. boston college has it. maybe west virginia.

I'd take a $5 million stadium...lol.

seriously...there are ways to make things happen...someone just has to want to do it. Like I said...if you use it for things other than football like concerts and stuff like that it could generate some money to help pay for it...grants...memberships...box seats...stadium name...all kinds of different ways to help out...it all adds up in the long run...it's not an impossible thing to finance something like that.

Guess what , 3 school board members showed at our Saturday breakfast, Following the breakfast we found tazewell county workers at the Richlands locker rooom installing a new shower tree. it aint much but its a start. Ole Cola is starting to like stirring and he has new friends that are very interested in our kids.