HURLEY and HAYSI who will come out on top?

Bballer23

I think that the rebels have a real good shot at upsetting the tigers and go to 8-0 this is a better HURLEY team all around,than the one they had last year not so much as players but they now know what to do and were to slide there bodies to on each play thanks mostly to there added coaching this year but I guess we will just have to wait and see!!!!!!!!(lifes to short to just play so play hard!!!!!!!!)LOVE THOSE REBELS!!!!!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hurley wins it by a late TD...Justice can still get his yards against Haysi and that gives hurley a slight advantage I think as far as game control...either way this will give us the first good look at what Hurley *might* do in the playoffs!

Don't get me wrong I am pullin' for the Rebels all of the way on this one, it sure is nice to see a Buchanan County team making some noise this season.

But I see the Rebels running into the "war of attrition" mode on this one. I expect the game to be close for sometime maybe into the 3rd and for Haysi to pull away. Expect them to get some junk TD's in the 4th quarter to make the game look a lot worse than it was.

However, if the Rebels can get their starters some much needed rest throughout the game, a play here and there, they could find thereselves in a dog fight at the end. They could pull it out.

Good Luck

YOU GOTTA STOP THE KICKOUT !

I think Hurley will win by 2 points. Quite frankly, when they do win I don't think it should be deemed as an upset. Everyone in the community is talking about the Rebels but in the same note they talk about how they haven't played anybody. They have played the schools they should be playing and they have been successful so Congrats to the Rebels and bring home number 8. You have the talent to do it, all you need is the want to. Get the monkey off you back and 'Let's goooo Fellas'

I will agree with you on that.

All that I have heard is how Hurley hasn't played anyone, although some of the teams that they have played do not have a good record, look at it like this. The Rebels have dominated every opponent that they have played they have beaten these teams soundly and that proves that although some of their opponents might not have good records they are much better than the competition that they are playing. After all they have whipped everyone they have played and thats what good teams do when they play a weak opponent.

I will add this however, I really do not consider some of their opponents to be all that weak for a division 1 schedule. Ervinton has improved leaps and bounds, so has Big Creek, and Castlewood is twice the team they were last year.

Nuff said

Good luck Friday night

I'm not going to say Hurley hasn't played anybody...they have played the teams on their schedule and some of those teams are pretty good ball clubs...they have played well so give them credit. Hurley has a good ball team but the question is have they played anyone as good as Haysi yet? I think that question will be answered Friday night and I believe the answer will be: NO.

I think it all comes down to Justice...if they can get the run going early and keep it rolling, Haysi won't be able to score enough to beat them...I look for a lower scoring game...maybe in the 20's...if hurley is smart they will just get the run going and use up the clock...I think the offense will be fine, question is can the defense come up with a couple of big stops an give them some help? I think they can do it.

I agree with you Lance, but to get the run going hurley will have to be able to throw it. If they put 8 or 9 in the box it would be hard for Barry Sanders to have running room against this defense. Haysi has a very good defense and Hurley must be balanced. Haysi is a very good football team I think they are in the top 5 in southwest virginia. I think for Hurley to win this game they must play great defense. The best team Hurley has played so far is Big Creek so this will be the biggest test by far.

Lets Do It

The answer is no ! HURLEY hasnt played a team that has as much history of wins vrs. loses that can compare to HAYSI,and just because they havent played any division 1 schools that has had as much of a winning tradition except maybe big creek they have a few state buckles on there belts but as that is (history) dont get me wrong HAYSI is a far better program all around than HURLEY has had in the past few years, the real only upside to this match up for HAYSI is numbers they have more to sub in and out but dont think that the rebels will lay down because ive seen them out numberd before this year and they have pulled it of then and I do think they can against HAYSI. I dont know if you were at the game last year JAMES but if you recall it was very close at the half and if not for COLLEY and those onside kicks then it would have been alot closer! yes onside kicks everyone there that saw the game would tell you if they tell the truth that they were setup beacuse they are afraid to kick it long they have weak down field coverage and with the lose of the star QB (there best all around player) to graduation, well I still think it is going to be hard for them to win without him . but i will say this also the other thing that helps them is they have one of the best ever coaches to have ever coach in THE BDD he brings alot of football know how to the table, this could be truly one for the record books one to keep in your thought for a long time to come. and as said in one of my earlier post HURLEY has got some of if not the best over all coaching staff that I have ever seen there so with that said go gettem REBELS!!!!!!!!!(LIFES TO SHORT TO JUST PLAY SO BEAT THE TIGERS!!!!!!!!! LOVE THOSE REBELS!!!!!!!!!

one question about hurley running the ball. who is capable of blocking josh yates w/o double or triple teaming him,and if they have to do that ryan jones and dave pigman will eat them alive(the tiger D is tough ask honaker they have speed and it was tough for them). Also who are the rebels QB RB and FB I know the names but what are their positions.

GO TIGERS!!!

Im not worried about him comeing up the middle let hime shane isnt a up the gut runner he bounces his runs to the outside and if big duck cant handle him then well I guess he will just have his way there to a empty back field because if JUSTICE gets the hand off he will not be caught in the back field for a lose it only happend one timE so far this year and that was a bad hand off fumle he recoverd. and they play in alot of positions coach moves them acording to the downs mostly. and not taking anything away from HAYSI the are a good football program with alot of peps. backing them and yes HURLEY is a small time school that has had a ruff last few years with very little backing from the fans but I guess with wins comes the band wagon and it will be full, friday nite at THE CLIFF this could be one or if not the bigest ballgame ever played for the most of these boys I look forward to hopfully seeing the REBELS stand with the rest of the power houe teams in this great BDD.(LIFES TO SHORT TO JUDT PLAY SO PLAY HARD!!!!!!!!!)LOVE THOSE REBELS!!!!!!!!!

Last year, Hurley's defensive gameplan alone kept them in the game until halftime. Last year, the OL and DL both got dominated by Haysi. Of course, the lines had no consistency last season and really didn't dominate anybody.

The key this year will be Hurley's "big uglies". The war in the trenches will determine this games outcome. So far, Hurley has seen great OL and DL play against every opponent. Haysi may win the battle upfront, but Hurley will fight them for every inch.

Hurley Vs Haysi...Gets me excited when they come to town...(haysi women..lmao)..but anyways..We went down to dick county last year for the game it looked good for the rebels the first half..haysi came out second half and onside'd it every kickoff...never givin hurley the chance to get in it(which is smart but dirty)..2 years ago a young shane justice ran a kickoff back on haysi they was clueless for him..hurley just didnt run him enough cause they had there pick of conrad to start and run him instead of shane everydown this years diffrent...i love hurley and always have...i hope they win but i see them losing close 20-14 maybe...hurley hasnt had to rely on there defense to hold there lead this year really..they just keep scoring on the teams theyve played..if they can knock Ryan Jones in the mouth and make him wish he'd cut his hair before he came to the cliff then our chances are so much greater but if they let the big guy get rolling its gonna be hard for em...issac shane alex and james johnson HAVE to have a big game and the other boys have to play the best game of there lives, Mistake free ball if they wanna win this one..good luck Rebels ill be there watchin and freezin..practice hard this week...Go boys...

Playing at the cliff is always tough when Hurley has a good football team...they have a distinct homefield advantage that alot of other teams don't have and especially with them coming in undefeated it will be a test for Haysi no doubt. I don't think the loss of Jake Colley has been nearly as big a factor as most people thought it would....Colley was overrated big time as a QB but we miss him in the defensive backfield along with the loss of Sperow, Lyall and Stanley off last years team. This years team has responded well like I thought they would. About the onside kicks Hurley should have been prepared for that because Haysi DOES NOT ever kick the ball deep...they do that against every team they play so if Hurley didn't recover them its their own fault for now watching any film and not being prepared.

hurley has a good fb team ,but id say the biggest thing they have goin for them right now is (WELL DESERVED CONFIDENCE)and that might be just what it takes to pull this game out .if their confidence drops then haysi will be sure to capitalize on it .good luck to a injury free game we hope to both teams .

Josh will be in the backfield as much as hurleys rbs to the point that hurley will focus on him and open everyone else up. I dont know how hard it is to play at the cliff when hurley is good I have never seen a good rebel team(not trying to make anyone mad I have only kept up with BDD football for the last 7 years,not a glorious streach for hurley) but the cliff is a great home field advantage I mean its in the middle of nowhere(not a bad thing). The rebels always play hard and the game will be a test for haysi but I still say haysi by 4 TDs.

GO TIGERS!!!

BGJames,

I do agree with your assessment that Colley's loss at QB is a bit exaggerated, but from the Hurley fan's perspective, Colley was flawless. Two years ago, he could do whatever he wanted against us. Drop back and he hit his WRs in stride. Scramble and he would run untouched for dozens of yards. That game looked like a practice session for Haysi as they scored on there first five possessions or something like that.

Last year, when Colley went out of the game, Haysi sputtered. There offense couldn't do anything for two drives and we moved the ball on there defense a little bit. He came back in and led them on a 99 yard scoring drive to end the first half and the game was over from there.

As for the onside kick issue, no question Hurley SHOULD have been prepared for the onside/short kicks in the 3rd quarter...as for the 4th quarter, once Haysi was up 30-0, thats just pouring salt in the wound. Of course, Haysi winning 30-0 against Hurley doesn't look quite as good as 43-0 so I can see there reasoning. Of course, its hard to tell 2nd stringers on the kickoff team not to run downfield as fast as they can and recover a loose ball. Still yet, the ball should have been kicked downfield, but that was last year.

One thing is for sure though. The Cliff will be aboslutely packed. Better get there early or you'll have a long walk to the field. I figure Haysi will travel more than usual (and they usually travel a lot) since this game has more at stake than it has since 1996.

In 1996 the district championship was decided at the Cliff. Haysi beat Hurley 7-6 and Haysi was a big underdog, but the Rebels got them back in a rematch in the first round playoffs 18-6. yeah this is the first time this game has meant anything sice 1996. 1992 was the last time Hurley won the district and the beat Haysi something like 30-6. This will be the first time this game has meant anything to either side since 1996.

Well before today I thought Hurley would pull out the win and improve to 8-0 but I understand that for some 'reason' the Head Coach at Hurley missed practice yesterday and considering he is running the defense I dont' think that was a very smart, committed, decsion and that will influence the outcome of the game on Friday. I really hope there was good reason for that miss other than attending a volleyball game. A team has 2 work days a week to work their techniques and schemes (Tuesday and Wednesday), now if the Defensive Coordinator misses the Defensive day then how will they ever be prepared enough to face a team such as Haysi?

Hurley won the BDD championship in '92 beating Haysi 22-6 in the process. In the last 21 seasons Hurley has only been able to register 2 regular season wins('86,'92) against Haysi and 2 playoff wins('86,'96) while Haysi has garnered 19 regular season wins and also a playoff victory against the Rebels('91). I am very glad to see this game take on some significance...good news for everybody involved. The BDD has to be happy about it.