My BCS dream

sandman

All of us who want a playoff in college football have been looking for a window or a "BCS nightmare senario" to advance our pro-playoff agenda. So please comment on the following.

Va Tech continues to gain on, and surpasses USC at or near the end of the season on the strength of defeating Miami and Florida State and that denies the Trojans the chance of winning their 2.50 championships.

I don't think USC is in any danger of falling from #1 to #3 without losing. A more likely scenario would be for Tech to pass Texas. The most likely scenario would be for the BCS standings to remain as they are with one or more unbeaten teams on the outside looking in. Any of these scenarios will create controversy for the BCS.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think USC is in any danger of falling from #1 to #3 without losing. A more likely scenario would be for Tech to pass Texas. The most likely scenario would be for the BCS standings to remain as they are with one or more unbeaten teams on the outside looking in. Any of these scenarios will create controversy for the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bypass Texas? Hell Texas is passing other teams! The PAC-10 is weak, the only opponent that USC has left with any fight in them is UCLA, and I don't think that the surfers will provide much resistance. Unless someone looses, VPI's best hope is for USC's opponents to be so bad that the Trojan's strength of schedule to drag them down.

Tech's strength of schedule gets stronger from here on out while Texas' gets considerably weaker. USC has a weak schedule as well but it's going to be hard for them to drop to #3 without losing a game. I think it will be USC and Texas in the Rose with VT being this year's Auburn. Tech does have a shot to pass Texas in the computers though and that might be enough to get them in the Rose. If not, maybe they'll get a bowl with Notre Dame and give them a little payback for stealing their BCS bid a few years ago.

too bad fsu lost to uva.. if they didnt and texas and usc lost & georgia and bama stayed undefeated, it could've been #1-VT #2-FSU #3- UGA #4-Bama with the conference championships in the acc and sec that could've been sorta like a playoff for the national championship game.

sorry it seemed so complicated.. if ya think about it, it makes some sense lol

Yeah it does, and it brings up the point that ALL conferences should have a championship game. That won't happen unless they all go to 12 teams, or the NCAA changes the 12 team requirement.

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Texas passed USC n the BCS so dosnt that mean VT can? The schedules r about the same. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech's schedule gets harder as we continue deeper into the season. USC's gets softer, except with the UCLA game. My point is that VPI has a better chance of passing USC than Texas in the BCS formula.

i hate the BCS and want a playoff... so here are a couple things to look at that could bring down the BCS.

there are currently 6 undefeated teams (USC, Texas, VT, Georgia, Alabama, UCLA). USC and UCLA still have to play, so that will knock the number of undefeated down to 5. if all goes as planned, then Georgia and Alabama would meet up in the SEC championship... which would leave us with 4 undefeated teams. if the season finishes out with 4 undefeated teams... and you've got teams like Texas, VT, or the Georgia/Alabama sitting on the outside looking in, while USC goes into the title game without even being tested. then heads should roll... and something would change. but the biggest way for this BCS crap to be done away with is for USC to finish the season undefeated, but out of the title game. if that happens, and our golden boys of Southern Cal don't get the opportunity to 3 peat - I GUARANTEE heads will roll and something will change

now of course, if it all comes down to there only being 2 undefeated teams - then nothing will change. but i think this will be the year that it all crashes...

and why does everyone discredit Georgia and Alabama? look at their remaining schedules. if both of those teams go into the SEC championship undefeated, then the winner would have a good chance of leap frogging the #3 AND #2 teams in the BCS and put themselves right in the Rose bowl... now that would cause a stink

no way a sec team be there with all the other teams still being undefeated on the season!!! Its all about the money when it comes to the bowl games. If the team can bring the money then they will be in the game!!!

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that VPI has a better chance of passing USC than Texas in the BCS formula.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible they could pass both with the computers but the polsters are going to keep USC #1 and Texas #2, which is why I said I don't see USC dropping to #3 in the BCS standings. I can however see Texas dropping to #3.

[ QUOTE ]

and why does everyone discredit Georgia and Alabama? look at their remaining schedules. if both of those teams go into the SEC championship undefeated, then the winner would have a good chance of leap frogging the #3 AND #2 teams in the BCS and put themselves right in the Rose bowl... now that would cause a stink

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are currently #4 and #5. It's important to remember the human polls are 2/3 of the formula. They aren't going to change their votes unless someone loses.

maybe so, but they are both good teams... and if they go undefeated, then they deserve to be there just as much as Texas or USC or VT or whoever.....

i just hope it all pans out so we can see the controversy

I hope that the situation at the end of the year is so jumbled, that the public outcry for a playoff system cannot be drowned out the talk of "revamping" or "tweeking" the BCS formula to make it more equitable.

The only way that we are going to move toward a playoff system is the viewing public take a vocal, active role in this process. I'm tired of being told that "this" is the national championship game and have unbeaten teams left out. Everyone that watched last years National Championship game knows full well that either of the Sugar Bowl participants would have been a stronger opponent to USC.

actually they showed the strength of schedules today for each of the top 3 and texas has by far the weakest of the remaning schedules so it would be far more likely for tech to pass them than usc.....

I was about to say Texas plays no more ranked teams, USC plays UCLA, CAL, & Fresno St. Tech plays Miami, & possibly Florida St. So strength of schedule is on the USC & Tech side rather than Texas. I hope to see 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year and the NCAA under so much pressure they have to go to a playoff from now on!

we could still have 4 undefeated teams at seasons end, but Alabama won't get the same credit for beating a 1 loss Georgia that they would have got if they would have beat an undefeated Georgia.