Magna Vista Coaching Situation

pdfootballguy

Best Band  

1. 1. Best Band

I'm not sure if too many people had seen this article in the Roanoke Times so I thought I'd post it on here to see what everybody thinks now.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/etc/wb/45647

I'm sure most have heard what happened with Coach Beckelheimer being let go from his coaching position due to an instance that happened back during the season but what came out in the paper at that time was apparantly wrong information that could come back to haunt members of the Henry County school board and the superintendent of schools Dr. Dodson. He was let go on grounds that he was not a fit role model to the students but in his hearing this past week the judge found him not guilty for drunk in public and then lowered the wreckless driving charge to failure to maintain a vehicle due to falling asleep at the wheel. The state trooper never administed a breathalizer test or a blood test and also stated that coach was very respectful and that he had no problems with him. The judge pointed out that the signs and symptoms that coach beckelheimer was displaying could have been from a concussion sustained in the accident due to the laceration to his head as well as broken ribs and other injuries that he received in the accident. After saying all of this I believe it is obvious that he was wrongfully terminated as the coach at Magna Vista and something needs to be done about the higher ups on the school board all the way to the top. A man should never be let go without his day in court and they are not above the law as they think they are. With everything that was said in the paper from the school board about him not being a good role model for the kids on the team I think it was proven in court not to be so and since that was in writing in various papers I believe that qualifies as defamation which can and I'm sure will be taken to court if coach beckelheimer doesn't get his job back. I would just like to know what everybody else thinks about the situation.

In the poll, do you feel he should get his job back or not?

the school board really messed it up when they came out and said he was unfit. now with that said they must defend their statement in court. should be very interesting to watch. he was unfit to coach, but still could teach, sounds like coach b my be a wealthy man in the near future.

He needs his job back since it was not the truth and the job he has done with Magna Vista he needs his job back I could understand them not giving it back if they was a loosing team but they make it to the play-offs almost everyyear.

Bechelheimer has been on a very short leash with Dr. Dodson ever since the ineligible player incident in 2003. i've heard from others in the school system that they have clashed over other issues as well. i think Dr. Dodson & school officials were too quick & eager to fire him as fb coach.(he still has his teaching position).

Back during the 2003 season MV also had three separate athletic directors that were responsible for that kind of thing, there were three levels that the eligibility of the player had to go through (coach, AD, guidance counselor) and all three missed it, so it was never just on the coach, that's just what Dodson wanted to make it out to be! He was the only one ever disciplined in the incidence also.

This was not about the ineligible player incident, this was a result of another incident that happened in the same 2003 season and then the ineligible player deal happened after that. All of this happened I think as a result of a very bad personality conflict between a very good but strong willed coach and a administration not able or willing to bend in any situation. They were just waiting for Coach B to spit on the sidewalk and they were going to get rid of him. As I understand his coaching contract is seperate from his teaching one, and they are able to terminate his contract at anytime without him having any say so. As Supt. Dodson said in the paper, the courts don't run the school system, her and the school board do. Do I think it's right or fair to him, heck no, he is a good coach and the kids respect and play hard for him, but the bottom line is that this was a power play from the beggining on the part of the admin. and they jumped the gun in dismissing him as quickly as they did. But with that being said, he really has no other option but to re-apply for the job and hope they will re-hire him. And if you think they will, I've got some beach front property in Ridgeway I will sell you real cheap also!!!

• 1 month later...