Bluefield/Princeton

beaverbaseball

Guest JJBrickface

Here is my analysis of the game. Yes the refs were pretty bad but here is what else I saw. 1. Bluefield can not shoot the ball. We are not a great shooting team, neither from the 3 point line or the free throw line. 2. We did try to penetrate Princeton's D but they usually did a good job of cutting the play off. When we had open looks we just didn't knock them down. 3. We did a poor job of stopping Princeton is transition. Princeton was able to drive easily to the basket. Better defense would have created more fast break opportunites and probably a Bluefield victory in my opinion.

Losing to Princeton was pathetic, but are you surprised? They played a zone defense and Gilliard doesn't teach his kids how to attack a zone defense. Wait, yeah he does. He teaches them to throw up 3-pointer after 3-pointer just like they did in the state semi-finals last year. Bluefield won't win another state basketball title as long as Gilliard is the head coach. He has so much talent this year that anything less than playing on championship Saturday should be considered a massive failure.

And do you blame Princeton for celebrating like crazy? I mean they had lost 10 STRAIGHT games to Bluefield on the hardwood. In the last 15 years the hardwood "rivalry" between these two has been horribly lopsided, so every Princeton win in the series is like a state title for them.

some of the Westside followers told me and others over on BR's board that Princeton would surprise some ppl this season.

i didnt believe it at first but when more talks from WS started telling me this, i kinda bought into the hype.

now i dunno how the game went, as far as officiating, but if the comparisons to Bluefield in this game to them in the semi-final's is true, then Blfd. must have looked bad then!

cause i'd never seen a team throw up so many three's and do as bad as they did against WS in the semi's in Charleston, and that is no slam against them, just stating truth, i still scratch my head from that.

but with all that being said i will still stand by what i said over on BR's site about this whole situation.

i think some of you guys might be jumping to the gun on your predictions and thoughts of how Blfd. will do this season.

i mean i'll be the first to admit, i'm not a bluefield fan or anything like that, especially when it comes to basketball i'm renegade to the bone, but as folks told me when i was an Oceana Indian to the bone and our Indians wouldnt do to good, they'd always say these regular season games are just practice!

it doesnt mean nothing until March!

so dont worry until then, you team has all this time to get prepaired for the zone attack and all that.

i gotta feeling Blfd. will be fine come tourney time, and will be among the final 4 if not final 2 in basketball this season.

Guest JJBrickface

If you were at the game then you didn't pay much attention. We DID attack their zone. We passed the ball to the middle, and the guy was usually doubled teamed immediately, we tried penetrating the baseline and they either cut it off or one of the players missed the shots, we tried shooting threes but they didn't fall. If they did fall then no one would be complaining. What hurts us more than anythig is our inability to shoot and our lack of size. With the capabilities of our players we are going to be a fast break team and our half court offense will probably continue to struggle.

"I DO BELIEVE PRINCETON BEAT BLUEFIELD THREE STRAIGHT TIMES IN THE 02-03 SEASON"

are we allready in the double jepordy round alex?

I'll take 2004 west virginia state champs in AA for 200 alex, becuase i do not believe that answer he gave us was correct..

Guest JJBrickface

Hey dude, this was the first time Princeton beat Bluefield since my junior year in high school which was 2001-2002. Bluefield has dominated the past three years buddy. Not too good of a record for a AAA vs. AA