Spread offense

tornado99

How does the influence of the spread offense affect teams in Southwest Virginia? To my knowledge, only a couple of teams (Richlands and Powell Valley) have adopted it as their primary offense. Both teams have had success recently, however that may or may not be due to the offensive scheme, since both are traditionally powerful. Are their successes due to only talent, or does the willingness to pass play a factor, as most teams have chosen not to adopt a strong emphasis of the pass? Any opinions? It's a long way until August.

Richlands 8th grade team adopted it as there offense and it opens up the middle for runners because the defense has to stay out incase of a pass because if they cheat over to stop the run then you can throw a pass and burn them but with all good and great teams you must have good coaching and alot of talent.

Abingdon used spread about 85% this year, but we will go back to the conventinal use of a TE/FB. I say, if you have speed, use the spread. Alot of teams around here don't have as much spead as Richlands and PV have had.

I agree that you must have the proper talent to utilize the spread, but I agree with posters that at lower levels, the fundamentals should be first and foremost, including learning how to pass. I believe that passing is developed over a period of time; but there is no need for a complicated to scheme at that time. To be more specific, at the varsity level, how much difference does the particular scheme in general make? I know that being able to run and pass gives a team an advantage simply by being versatile and more unpredictable, but how about the formation in general?

Narrows recently adopted the spread offense. They run spread about 50% and then the wing T the other 50%. As stated above it definitely opens up the middle for the runner. If you have quick receivers and a pretty accurate QB, you can also nickle and dime teams to death with screens and slants.

I think the adaptation of the spread offense in the richlands 8th grade program was a preety good idea it lets the 8th grade kids get a feeling of what offense they will be using in the highschool program

Adapting to an office at an early level does have its advantages. You can still teach the fundamentals, and also work on execution over a period of years. Giles does an excellent job of executing the single wing, which I feel makes them more successful than the rarity of the offense.

They blitz the middle, one of two things happen.

1-Their corners are on an island one-on-one and a good receiver will toast them.

OR

2-You blitz the middle, I start running the option out of the shotgun and let your blitzing LB's chase me from behind.

the spread O is definatly a good thing to have because it forces the other team to spread the D and they cant put as many people in the box. if you face a team the runs 80% of the time you are going to design your D on stoping the run but if you face a team the run 60% passes 40% you are fourced to play a lil softer so you dont get burnt deep.

Offensive tackle(all state)/defensive tackle Aaron Stevens, guard/middle linebacker(all region both spots)Eric Wilson, wide receiver(all state)/cornerback Jonathon Hawkins, All District center Justin Martin, and Luke Reasor at safety. I know that sounds like a lot, but we should have a good team again. Trust me.