<u>1st Round</u>

Game #1: Martinsville (18-6) 65 Carroll Co. (12-12) 49

Game #2: Grundy (17-9) 48 Lee (15-9) 46

<u>Semifinal Round</u>

Game #3: Martinsville (19-6) 58 Abingdon (18-6) 50

Game #4: Bassett (14-8) 61 Grundy (17-10) 48

<u>Championship</u>

Martinsville (20-6) 82 Bassett (14-9) 79 2OT

All I can say about this is that MagnaVista may or may not get any calls from the referees during the upcoming Piedmont Tournament. Seems like they haven't forgotten the "swing" that the MagnaVista player took at their fellow official the other night. AND the player only got a 2-game suspension. Talk about angry!

Seems like you have some inside imformation on the subject DM, some refs tell you this or is this speculation on your part. The kid was upset that the Mavahi player had him around the head in a loose ball situation and shoved him. He was given a "T" like he should have been but as he was walking away to his bench a good 30 to 40 feet away from the incident the ref reached out to grab him as he walked by and the kid shoved his arm away from him, he didn't swing at the ref. He was ejected(and he should have been), and the suspension for this type of ejection is 2 games. The ref who made this call is well known in this area as one who does not keep control of games very well, I've witnessed several times where things start to get out of hand and instead of taking control of the situation he sticks the whisle in his pocket and disappears.One the kid got what he deserved for his actions,Two he didn't swing at the ref, and three the punishment did fit the crime. If you are privy to some conspiracy by the refs to unfairly call a game against MV, I would think it would be your duty as the head scorekeeper of the Bulldogs(or is that LD, I get ya'll confused LOL) to let the proper officials know. If we play ya'll in the semi's and big Apple walks out before the game,I'll just let Kevin and the kids know it's time to go home!!!

G-Man, won't Mavahi be playing Carroll Co. in the first round of the regionals instead of Grundy. At least that was what I was told by the Bulldogs AD tonight. Just wondering, trying to make my travel plans for next week!!

SWD semis are at Carroll Co.

Go down 77 to exit 14. Take a left at the bottom of the ramp onto 58 East for about 10 minutes. You'll pass through Hillsville (be careful at the light - left-turning traffic just over the hill may not be visible), and the school is about a mile or two down on the left.

[ QUOTE ]

G-Man, won't Mavahi be playing Carroll Co. in the first round of the regionals instead of Grundy. At least that was what I was told by the Bulldogs AD tonight. Just wondering, trying to make my travel plans for next week!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are correct...I made a mistake by putting Grundy as the #1 team from the SWD...changed it to Carroll Co...thanks for catching that.

pdman, if you will read the posts on the "ASK THE REFEREE" board on VirginiaPreps, you will quickly see that I defended your player by saying that the referee should not have touched him in his agitated state. And, while everyone else was for "hanging" him, I thought he should have just been suspended for the rest of the season and required to apologize - which STILL would be a GOOD thing for him to do even now. And I've talked to everyone who was in the gym that night that I could find, and EVERYONE with whom I've talked says that the player from MVHS DID swing at the official. Whether the official of whom you speak does or does not stay in control of the games that he officiates - and let's remember there are THREE officials at each VARSITY game - is not at question here. The greater question here is ARE HIGH-SCHOOL BASKETBALL PLAYERS CAPABLE OF CHANNELING THEIR EMOTIONS INTO THE GAME AND DEALING WITH THE FRUSTRATION OF "POOR OFFICIATING" :-) IN THE LOCKER ROOM LATER? (And I say "poor officiating" because I happpen to believe that we are blessed with very good officials here in the PD. And to clear up your confusion about Mr. Oakes and me, I am the clock operator at the 'Dogshouse who is also able to keep the scorebook when needed, and Mr. Oakes is the scorekeeper during the regular season. Besides, his hair is much grayer than mine.)

[ QUOTE ]

SWD semis are at Carroll Co.

Go down 77 to exit 14. Take a left at the bottom of the ramp onto 58 East for about 10 minutes. You'll pass through Hillsville (be careful at the light - left-turning traffic just over the hill may not be visible), and the school is about a mile or two down on the left.

[/ QUOTE ]\

i know where carroll co. hs is but someone told me they play at middle school and if so is it close by?

It's great that everyone you talked to said he swung at the ref. Sitting there with 2 other MV coaches and looking right at the incident no more than 30 feet away, one the ref grabbed at him as he walked by, 2 I don't think the boy even knew who it was that grabbed him and 3 he didn't swing at the ref he swung to get someone off of him that had grabbed him. I know that we are talking semantics here but you make it sound like he stood toe to toe with the ref and took a roundhouse swing at him and that just didn't happen. By the way, what do you think of the very good officiating that we are blessed with here in the PD (as you say) that we had in the championship game tonight. Boy they were some of the best you had all year I guess. By the way congrats to the Dogs on the win in a very exciting game tonight 64-61. I guess that last play was just how Coach Wells drew it up in the huddle wasn't it???LOL

The lead official was horrible tonight, wasn't he? I really have to eat "crow" on that one.

If you read my post on "ASK THE REFEREE" on VirginiaPreps, I said that the referee should never have touched the player in question because he was evidently NOT in control of his emotions at that point of the game. And, every time I have watched the replay of the game, he brushes the official's hand away from him and, in the follow-through of his move, ACCIDENTALLY "HITS" the referee. And, remember, if you will, I was there too.

I can tell you this for sure - Ashmond would have the LAST player for whom Coach Wells would have "designed" that play. We have been joking with him at practice about the fact that he has such an UGLY-looking shot. I guess the joke's on us now, huh?

Great atmosphere also tonight at the game. The cheering back and forth between the crowd,the flag waving(by the way I'm glad Finney let the young boys run with the flag some tonight,that's alot of running at 70plus). Also I'm glad to see MV isn't the only school that has 250 coaches who know more than the man on the sidelines does. The Bulldog faithful second guess everything even what cheers the cheerleaders do!! By the way Ashmond now is officially the Bulldogs go to guy!! See you in Carroll Co. and hopefully back at Bassett next Saturday night(a good possibilty,don't you think?)

Lee County beat Va High with a shot at the buzzer. The kid shot a off balanced 3 point shot. There was 4.8 seconds on the clock and they had to go the length of the court. They were able to roll the ball to half court before they picked the ball up and the clock started. I believe the coach was telling his defense to back up as the ball was rolling. I could not understand why there was no pressure in the back court. Abingdon won by 30 or 40. They dominated a very weak Marion team.

I found it very interesting that the Bulldog crowd actually "took over" the cheerleading from the Mavahi cheerleaders. I have always thought that the BEST cheers were the simplest - unfortunately, that seems to be a minority opinion. And I really enjoyed the battle of the flags - but I think Bassett's flag is a whole lot "neater" than the 'Dogs. Don't you? And our "grandstand coaches" have got yours beat "all hollow". In spite of delivering TWO STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS as the head coach of one of the most prestigous public high school programs in the state, everyone thinks Coach Wells should do something other than what has got the 'Dogs to the regional playoffs for six of the last SEVEN years. There are people who have openly told me that he is NOT the coach for this program. And they always look hurt and bewildered when I ask them in return: "THEN WHO IS?"

pdman,

you don't seem to add anything constructive to this post. your obvious anti-Martinsville attitude seems to dominate your whinny posts. quit crying, and by the way if you're so concerned about the cheerleaders and the cheering section, put a skirt on and show folks how its done. i've got a feeling it would come natural to you.

Talk about an anti-Martinsville bias! At the Piedmont District semi-finals, MagnaVista and Bassett - who can't stand each other - were seated on the same side opposite Tunstall and Martinsville. Talk about a sea of red and white! Although it could have been done for safety concerns seeing Mavahi and MVHS don't quite see "eye-to-eye" either these days.

Norseman,

Sorry about being whinny,didn't know it would upset you so.No anti-Mavahi bias here,been going to the gym on Cleveland Ave. to watch the Dogs play since before you were born(probably). Dm and myself have known each other for years and just like to get on here and give each other a hard time.As far as cheerleading and wearing a skirt, well that would probably be a very ridiculous site but, you are welcomed to come over and try and put one on me if you think you can. Dm, hope ya'll had a safe trip back from Abingdon. This is one MV fan who will see you at Bassett tommorow. The Falcon fans weren't to happy afterwards about the Dogs strategy(almost saw a fight in the parking area after the game), but the key this time of the year is just like Jimmy V used to say"Survive and advance"!! Good luck against the Bengals,should be another good one.

From what I've been given to understand, it's almost impossible to please the "whine and cheese" people of Abingdon. It's almost as if they exist on another plane of reality. And it's certain that their perception of THIS reality is somewhat skewed.