Results from day one???

Mouse

[ QUOTE ]

Grundy has nobody in the championship semi-finals....Still

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a sad, sad day for Grundy wrestling.

The athletics in this area continue to go down hill...its time for a county school.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The athletics in this area continue to go down hill...its time for a county school.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its time for all schools that are Class A size to drop down and play in Class A. VERY difficult to compete with schools two and three times your size in any sport...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its time for all schools that are Class A size to drop down and play in Class A. VERY difficult to compete with schools two and three times your size in any sport...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but teams like Grundy and Graham are too full or pride to do that...

Thats why I would like to see Buchanan County finally give in and build a county school or at least consolidate with Hurley.

I finally agree with the G-Man...Time for the "You don't want to play in Single A do you?" to rest...It's time to play where your numbers indicate you play. Single A sounds good to me...Look at this, you have Lebanon playing single A and they are bigger than Tazewell, Graham, Grundy...Why not put those 4 teams in a district with say Virginia High and John Battle. Leave the LPD alone...Play them in Class D. Let Richlands pick up Abingdon, Marion, Carroll County and play them in Region IV...

To answer your question there Beano...Very true that staying double A will give better challenges at times locally...But in the long run of the athletic programs at these three area schools, you're not going to have kids that want to compete when they don't feel like they have a chance to do anything more than the regular season...

Single A is just as tough...Playing football in Region D has Gate City, Powell Valley, Honaker, Haysi, JI Burton...just to name a few...

Look at this too, Grundy (long time AA power in wrestling) puts no one in the semi-finals of the state tournament this year...Places only 5 kids...One 4th and the other 4 were 7th or 8th...If the VHSL wouldn't have placed 8 this year for the first time, there would have been ONE placer from GRUNDY. Tell me we can compete with Double A numbers anymore.

I say, play where your numbers dicate you to play...If it's Double A, then you find a district...If it's Single A then you find a district...Give your kids the best shot of being successful at the end of the season...In the state tournaments...The kids that are good enough to go on to college will get there anyway...Look at Heath Miller, Single A ball to Super Bowl Champion...

It's about the kids having a chance to shine at the end of the year. A school with 500 will get destroyed by a school with 1400 9 times out of 9.5 times...

I don't think it's an enrollment issue. I think it is a talent and coaching issue. When Dresser went to C-Burg, the State Titles followed him there. I think it is sad everybody on here is looking for excuses. Wrestling is an individual sport. Beat your guy or he beats you. That is pretty simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach in Grundy.

[ QUOTE ]

can't, it will take longer than one year to be "A"! check out the proposal in the football site for VHSL

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! Grundy can drop to Class A for the next R&R cycle if they want to...the proposal is only that, a proposal. There will be several changes to the proposal before its finalized. And if Grundy doesn't want to compete at the AA level with Class A numbers, the VHSL can not make them...

"I don't think it's an enrollment issue. I think it is a talent and coaching issue. When Dresser went to C-Burg, the State Titles followed him there. I think it is sad everybody on here is looking for excuses. Wrestling is an individual sport. Beat your guy or he beats you. That is pretty simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach in Grundy."

Something is bad wrong with the system right now wrestlers aren't performing at the big dance the way they have in the past and they are losing at the end of the season to people they beat during the season. Another problem seems to be the all or nothing attitude at the state tourny seems like people wrestle a great match and lose close then the next round they get pinned and are done very few of them are fighting through wrestle backs like they used to. Do they still do the little league program all the way up it doesn't seem like the little leaguers are wrestling as much as they once did.

bulldog4ever -

Teams can't just move anytime they want to - it has to be done at the start of a 2-year cycle (unless something weird happens - like a county closes 2 schools in the same District over the Summer). The next cycle starts in Aug., 2007, which is the earliest C'burg can move to R4 AND the earliest Grundy can drop to A.

The proposal is a "work in progress", and changes can be made up to the Spring of 2007, although waiting that late will cause major scheduling headaches. Then when you take in the fact that divisions aren't announced until July or so, some coaches (like Winter sports) don't know where they officially are until classes start back and they ask somebody.

I'm hoping that if Grundy is joined by at least 1 Taze. Co. school, they'll just say "screw it" for 2007 and wait 'til '09 (a fellow can dream, can't he?).

Back to where the wrestlers placed - you'll also noticed that we beat Brentsville, which also beat TA. The order was just reversed this weekend. Anyone who's been to state knows anything can happen (like 2 #1 seeds at a certain weight losing their opening match [AA-HWT] or 2 #1 seeds falling on opening day, giving a guy an "easy" path to the finals, where he beats a kid who Majored him at Regionals the past 2 years [A-103]).