Preseason Top 10 in WV AA

MavsRock

Just a few teams I thought might be a factor in 2006. As summer practice approaches, I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks on this subject

1. WAYNE

2. BLUEFIELD

3. WEIR

4. HERBERT HOOVER

5. JAMES MONROE

6. POCA

7. TOLSIA

8. MOUNT VIEW

9. POINT PLEASANT

10. OAK HILL

in my opinion some top teams in aa in '06 will be bluefield, with perhaps the highest expectations, james monroe, keyser, herbert hoover, and grafton returns a lot from their team, and potentially weir or wayne, maybe wayne more than weir. I honestly don't know what teams have what elsewhere in aa though, scott could be good, poca likely won't be down for long so maybe this season they'll be strong who knows.

Laugh all you want, they had to replace several key plays from 2004, and ended up just a few plays away from playing in the big game. I know Bluefield has as much talent as any team around, but they've got a long way to go before thay consider themselves a championship team. The biggest thing with Bluefield is maturity, take the meetings with Weir the last 2 years. In 2004 Weir outplayed Bluefield the whole game, but because of discipline, and keeping their composure, Bluefield stayed in the game, and gave themselves a chance to win. Last year, in a similar situation, Bluefiled's players got frustrated, and let themselves basically get ran over, same thing happend at Princeton and Herbert Hoover earlier in the season.

I'm not saying that Bluefield won't contend for the title, but there is certainly room for improvement.

[ QUOTE ]

Laugh all you want, they had to replace several key plays from 2004, and ended up just a few plays away from playing in the big game. I know Bluefield has as much talent as any team around, but they've got a long way to go before thay consider themselves a championship team. The biggest thing with Bluefield is maturity, take the meetings with Weir the last 2 years. In 2004 Weir outplayed Bluefield the whole game, but because of discipline, and keeping their composure, Bluefield stayed in the game, and gave themselves a chance to win. Last year, in a similar situation, Bluefiled's players got frustrated, and let themselves basically get ran over, same thing happend at Princeton and Herbert Hoover earlier in the season.

I'm not saying that Bluefield won't contend for the title, but there is certainly room for improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne returned EVERYBODY from the 2004 team...they were loaded last season. And they lose just about everyone for 2006...they'll be OK by WV AA standards but not a Championship team by any stretch of the imagination...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even mention Bluefield, I simply laughed at you having Wayne as preseason #1. Wayne lost just as much as Weir did to graduation, both much like Bluefield did after the 2004 season. Both lost many key players that started two or three years for each school. You mention Bluefield lacking maturity, but yet Bluefield will have more experience and maturity than Wayne and Weir combined in 2006 season. Bluefield proved in 2005 that they could still win at the highest level without their golden senior class, now Wayne and Weir must prove the same in 2006.

That's just it, you can't really expect an overall underclassmen team with some key players being sophomores to be able to handle adversity in some games and to be able to overcome many errors. Bluefield was frustrated against herbert hoover and obviously weir and the games did get away from them, but that's the big difference between a veteran team and a youthful team.

The '04 bluefield team wasn't really any different, they were 2 - 8 in '01 and in '02 made it to wheeling with a lower ranking at 6 - 4, and the title game against poca started competitive but they finished poorly in that game as well.

1. Bluefield

2. Weir

3. James Monroe

4. Wayne

5. Grafton

6. Mt. View

7. Tolsia

8. Magnolia

9. Keyser

10. Logan

Bluefield is the preseason #1 team, because most of their team is back from last year where they made it to the state title game. However, I think Weir has a great shot at winning another state championship in 2006. They return Taflan, Perri, Flinn, Frankos, Buffo, Rasicci, Brogdon, and Davidson from last year's team. They also have a lot of sophomores that have only lost one game in three years and their defense didn't give up any touchdown's last season as 9th graders. James Monroe should also have a good football team next year and Wayne will make the playoffs again.

[ QUOTE ]

I love how G man throws his punches at WV ball by saying they'll be ok by WV AA standards. Typical typical stuff. I will bite my tongue though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang man...you need to chill before you blow a gasket...you love taking my words and twisting them around.

I wasn't "throwing (any) punches" or taking any cheap shots with that comment. What I meant was there are really only three, maybe four, teams that actually have a shot at winning the AA Title in WV...that is normal, happens every year. I was only saying Wayne won't be in that top 3 or 4 but they will still be in that group from 5 to 8 which are good teams but don't really have a shot at winning it all.

Will this be a record if bluefield does make it to the island?

5 years in a row? isint that a record?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nope, not a WV record, Moorefield has that record 8 years in a row from 96 till 02

Not even 2nd place, Sisterville 7 in a row from 80 till 86

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of talk about Wayne...I just want to clear up some things.

Wayne lost 21 seniors after the 2004 season. Wayne ran a lot of tandem's on offense that rotated a lot, so let me break it down as such: Wayne lost 1 of 2 fullbacks, Wayne lost 1 of 2 halfbacks, and Wayne lost both wingbacks. Wayne returned its starting WR (which is an oxymoron in its own right...he's the 4th option much of the time). Wayne lost 4 OL from 2004. All Wayne had back from 2004 on offense were Dunkle on the OL, Newell at QB, Runyon to split time at FB, Roland at HB, Marcum at TE, and Ferguson at WR. Everyone else on the offense was new.

In 2005, Wayne must replace 19 seniors...a 3-year QB (no easy task, but then again, we don't throw much). 1/2 the fullback tandem is gone. 1/2 of the halfback tandem is gone. The wingbacks are all back. The WR is back. Wayne loses 3 OL and its TE. There are actually fewer losses from a numbers standpoint to this team offensively than there were going into 2005. However, Newell's and Marcum's don't fall off trees around here, and losing 40 seniors in a 2-year span can't be discounted. Add it all together and Wayne will return 6 starters on offense from 2005.

Defensively, Wayne lost the following from the 2004 squad: 3 DL, 1 LB, 3 in the secondary. In other words, Wayne brought back 4 starters from 2004. From the 2005 squad, Wayne will lose 3 DL, 1 LB, and 1 in the secondary. In other words, Wayne will bring back 6 starters on defense.

I'm not disputing what you all are saying, I'm just trying to put some more information out. Wayne has a strong class of freshmen and sophomores from this year. The talent pool looks to be diminishing beginning with next year's freshmen, which could lead to a small hiccup in the program.

The last time we rebuilt like this was 2003. We went 8-4 that year, and lost the 4 games we did mostly because of fumbles. No doubt this team will have its growing pains as well, and opening its season in Welch is no easy way to get started, but this Wayne team isn't going to be bad at all. Maybe not at the level of the 2005 team...but not as much a drop as some people believe. This is not as complete of an overhaul as Weir is going through, or as Bluefield went through after 2004. It's still no easy task.

So again, I'm not proclaiming anyone should rank Wayne #1....but don't be surprised if the Pioneers are contenders again this year.

If you keep knocking on the door, eventually the darn thing will open...at least...that's the hope around here...

Quote:

"If you keep knocking on the door, eventually the darn thing will open...at least...that's the hope around here..."

That's definetly the hope in Monroe County as well. Hopefully our local boys could rectify that in 2006. I'm sure if JM and Wayne had to match up, that could be one of the better playoff games, I know they gave us all we wanted back in 1999. I know it would involve some travel, but I'd like to see James Monore & Wayne play eachother in the regular season for a couple of years, SINGLE WING vs WING T could be an entertaining matchup.