Rumors??

mavsgrad

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgantown hasn't been a dynasty for 10 years. They won their first title since 1983 and only second title in school history in 2000. Morgantown is now the most dominant team in WV, but everyone acts like they've always had success. They had to have the right coaching and work ethic to achiece the success they have now. Also, Bluefield is far from a dynasty. They are one of the more storied programs in the state, but they seem to lose in the state title game very often, such as in 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005. I have great respect for Bluefield, but I wouldn't call them a dynasty. Morgantown has won 4 AAA state titles in 6 years and will most likely win the state title in 2006. Also, even though it was 12-0 at the end of the third quarter, just remember that Weir had a sure touchdown pass that was not caught to end the first half and we didn't have a field goal kicker due to injury, so it should have been 21-0 in the third quarter.

"They are one of the more storied programs in the state, but they seem to lose in the state title game very often, such as in 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005."

I don't know about dynasty either, I'm inclined to say not because in my opinion a dynasty has to do with actually having title after title, but they are 1 of the more successful programs in the state overall. In my opinion 1 of the reasons they are defeated in the title game more is because they odten overachieve or earn the opportunity to compete in title game because of the caliber schedule they often have.

"just remember that Weir had a sure touchdown pass that was not caught to end the first half and we didn't have a field goal kicker due to injury, so it should have been 21-0 in the third quarter"

just remember also, that Bluefield got down inside the red zone 2 maybe 3 times in the 1st quarter... so we felt like we should have had 14 maybe 21 points going in at the half. when if's and but's are candy and nuts, then we'll all have championship teams... it comes down to execution. and we didn't execute because of our lack of experience, and Weir did. that was the difference in the game. not that you all were that much better then us.

A dynasty would be Sistersville in the 80's, Moorefield recently, and Morgantown. You have to make it to the state championship game almost every year but also win more than one state title. I'm sorry to tell you but Parkersburg holds the most state championships for football and Weir has 7 state titles in football which means Bluefield only has one more state title than Weir. Also, Weir was by far the best team in AA this year and they defeated Bluefield by 40 points after having one of their worst games of the season. If they would have executed like they had at Wayne the week before, it could have been 70-0.

Getting technical... back in 60's and i think some 70's the state choose who thay whated to play in the title. there where no play offs . BLFD had many many undefeated season, so you would say we almost had like 12. Just like you could say Weir almost has as many Championships as BLFD. You could ask anyone in the state that like HS football in the past 50 yrs. and they have heard of BLFD. Weir ...maybe the last 6 or 7 yrs.

[ QUOTE ]

A dynasty would be Sistersville in the 80's, Moorefield recently, and Morgantown. You have to make it to the state championship game almost every year but also win more than one state title. I'm sorry to tell you but Parkersburg holds the most state championships for football and Weir has 7 state titles in football which means Bluefield only has one more state title than Weir. Also, Weir was by far the best team in AA this year and they defeated Bluefield by 40 points after having one of their worst games of the season. If they would have executed like they had at Wayne the week before, it could have been 70-0.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say to those last sentences is Weir was certainly due not to CHOKE a game away against Bluefield. Heck even Pctn. and James Monroe gets an occasional win against the Beavers.

I'm not going to start arguing over the games in 2003 and 2004 but Bluefield fans know those games could have easily been wins for Weir, but Bluefield executed when they had to and they made it to Wheeling. Also, if you think noone has heard of Weir before the last few years you're mistaken. Weir is one of only a few teams to ever win back to back AAA state titles. They also have had 3 Kennedy Award

Winners and 7 state championships.

Just remember we had the ball past the 20 twice before weir could even get past our 50 yard line, and a personal foul penalty and mistake cost us that, so could have been 14-0 early. Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't matter. My point was that it wasn't the pasting it looked like till late in the game.

[ QUOTE ]

Parkersburg does not have the most AAA titles ever. BLUEFIELD DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do. Parkersburg has 9 AAA state football titles, Bluefield has the second most with 6 AAA titles. Although, if you want to get technical Parkersburg really only has 5 AAA state titles as there wasn't a AAA class in WV until 1958. Parkersburg other four titles came in 1938, 1940, and 1943 when state championships were not decided on the field, but yet by sportswriters. Their other pre-1958 title came in 1950 when they won the Class A (big school class) title.

Overall Parkersburg is only one ahead of Bluefield, 9-8. Both schools, however, trail Ceredo-Kenova for the most all-time. C-K has 11 state football titles all-time with 10 in AA and one in A. C-K no longer exist as they were consolidated with Huntington-Vinson and Buffalo-Wayne to form Spring Valley.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Parkersburg does not have the most AAA titles ever. BLUEFIELD DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do. Parkersburg has 9 AAA state football titles, Bluefield has the second most with 6 AAA titles. Although, if you want to get technical Parkersburg really only has 5 AAA state titles as there wasn't a AAA class in WV until 1958. Parkersburg other four titles came in 1938, 1940, and 1943 when state championships were not decided on the field, but yet by sportswriters. Their other pre-1958 title came in 1950 when they won the Class A (big school class) title.

Overall Parkersburg is only one ahead of Bluefield, 9-8. Both schools, however, trail Ceredo-Kenova for the most all-time. C-K has 11 state football titles all-time with 10 in AA and one in A. C-K no longer exist as they were consolidated with Huntington-Vinson and Buffalo-Wayne to form Cabell Midland.

[/ QUOTE ]

They formed Spring Valley, not Cabell Midland...CM was a consolidation of Barboursville (whom Bluefield beat in the '84 AAA Championship game) and a couple of other nameless, faceless small schools...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall Parkersburg is only one ahead of Bluefield, 9-8. Both schools, however, trail Ceredo-Kenova for the most all-time. C-K has 11 state football titles all-time with 10 in AA and one in A. C-K no longer exist as they were consolidated with Huntington-Vinson and Buffalo-Wayne to form Cabell Midland.

[/ QUOTE ]

They formed Spring Valley, not Cabell Midland...CM was a consolidation of Barboursville (whom Bluefield beat in the '84 AAA Championship game) and a couple of other nameless, faceless small schools...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. I confuse the consolidated schools of both schools from time to time.

It all depends on who you ask how many they have. If you are being technical and saying who has the most in AAA, it is Bluefield, because like he said, it was Class A and B way back before and sportswriters picked who they thought was the best. A very biased vote back then. AS was said before, many of bluefields best teams went undefeated and never got a shot because of politics up ther wouldn't let them play in the title game when it was decided by the upper men. So technically talking AAA, Bluefield has six, parkersburg 5

[ QUOTE ]

When was this list? Does anyone have a link or something, maybe a list of the schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/05/11/top.high.map0516/index.html

There's your link to the article. It was in Sports Illustrated about a year ago. It was a rather good article. Be sure to click on the SI Extra with the National Top 25!

parkersburg has an exceptional history of overall sports teams, boys and girls in many different sports, while I'd agree bluefield's football history has been equal to theirs overall since the '60s, parkersburg is more than deserving of being recognized for the sports traditions they have.

They also have among the top # of victories in football on the national list, over 700 some. That said, among the present day programs bluefield is among the best in the state and I can make do without them being in sport illustrated.

Let's just hope that God willing bluefields's tradition goes forward for decades.

Hey Weir... Did it have a write up about how coaches beat up there kicker and lose games. There has to be a record for that???

LOL, more false stories. Yeah Joe Filberto was arrested, which didn't make me mad at all to be honest and Weir did lose that game but who cares. You should still be getting over the 40-0 embarrassment on the Island. Coach Simon's expression was priceless after Bluefield couldn't stop Weir in the 4th quarter. Also, I bet Cooper and Crow who were members of that 2004 Weir team wouldn't trade their 2005 Big East Championship ring or 2006 Sugar Bowl Ring for a WV AA state championship.