GREATEST COMEBACKS...

ghs84

Bluefield versus Weir in the 2004 state semi-finals and there isn't a close second. I don't know of many teams to ever comeback from 14-0 with 2:30 minutes left in the game and the opponent with the ball deep inside your territory. It's like Carolina coming back to defeat Dook in 1974 after trailing by eight points with 17 seconds left; well before the 3-point shot was instituted in college basketball.

Bluefield versus Richlands in 1987-88. Bluefield scores 13 pts in the first 7 minutes of the game. Richlands comes back to win 21-13. That was a good one but the best I have ever seen was the 2004 Weir and Bluefild game.

I'm a Graham fan, and no question that '04 Bluefield/Weir is the greatest comeback ever, I still can't believe they won that game. The Bluefield/Weir game the year before that was pretty impressive too, kid caught a td pass in the back of the end zone on 4th and long. But the '04 game still wins.

that bluefield/weir game was a good one,but i didnt get to see that one because of work,but i did see the one the year before.2 ot that one was a nail bitter.bluefield has had a couple good ot games.

Playoffs.

Parkersburg Big Reds down 18-0 to the Huntington Highlanders with only 7:29 left in the game.

Parkersburg scores and goes for 2 making it 18-8

Parkersburg kicksoff and Huntington runs 4 mins. off the clock. Huntington punts and the Big Reds have only 3:29 to score not once, but twice.

Big Reds seem to score with about 2:30 left but its called back for illegal receiver down field, it was a correct call we had covered up the flanker.

Big Reds finally score with 1:39 left making it 18-15

Everyone in the place knew a on side kick was coming and a sophmore for Parkersburg some how came up with that ball in a huge pile of bodies.

Must go 50 yards for a win or about 35 for a chance at a game tieing field goal with no timeouts.

With 14 seconds left Big Reds try a 28 yard FG, but it misses. Still hope for the Big Reds cause a flag is on the play. Roughing the kicker.

Half the distance to the goal , 1st and 9 from the 9 and only 9 seconds to play. Instead of retrying the FG, Parkersburg QB Marc Kimes talks the coaches into going for the win.

Kimes rolls right and throws a dart to Nathan Fields in the front corner of the end zone with only 3 seconds left. Extra point good 22-18 Big Reds.

2 weeks later Parkersburg almost blows a 24-0 half time lead over Riverside before winning 31-28 in the 1999 AAA title game.

I still have both games on VCR tapes and watch them every summer right before the first game of the season.

The Beaver and Weir game was a very good one and a very important one for the BEavers. The best one that I've ever been part of was the '93 Graham/Beaver game when graham was down 14-0 and came back to win with a TD pass with 8 seconds left in the game to take a 18-14 lead then got an interception return to make it 24-14.

• 2 weeks later...

The first graham vs. Tazewell game last year was a classic...tazewell had the game in the bag with about 3 min left and had contained robert Henry the entire game...1 min 30 seconds later Graham was ahead and Henry had 150+ yards in the books.

The Crigger game was a classic as well...I'd probably go with that one as my top pick. The bluefield game at state a couple of years ago when the other teams coach got arrested after the game was a good one as well...heard it on the radio but didn't get to go see it in person.

• 2 weeks later...