Paul McCoy Of Matewan High School

mhstigers1987

Paul McCoy does it again. Matewan played Madonna last Friday night, Matewan won 27-14 and Paul McCoy had another great night. Paul rushed 26 times for 306 yards and 4 TD's. He had touchdown runs of 93 & 67 called back due to penalties. He was just annouched Co-Player of the Week in West Virginia by the Associated Press. Last week he was named Player of the Week by AP.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of size does he have? Obviously, the talent is there but does he have the size to compete on the next level at RB? I heard some assistant coaches from Morehead State University (KY) are interested in seeing some film.

TV advertised him as 5'9, 180 I believe. He looks about 5'7 or 5'8-ish, closer to 170 than 180 from my eyes (but he does appear to be very well built and muscular).

SWVA fans, think of Caleb Jennings except a little bit heavier looking. I'd even say they are both right about the same speed as well.

On max preps it says he is the leading rusher in the nation..if he was i do not think he should be going to morehead. morehead is a great college, but looks like bigger schools should be interested.

Kids from schools below the AAA level in WV tend to not get the looks,or have the credibility of those that are from AAA schools in WV. This kid could average 300 yards rushing a game for the season,and still most likely would not win the Kennedy Award,because of all the AAA bias that goes on with the voters for the award. In WV kids from the schools below the AAA level seem to not even exist to those people at times.

there are a lot of players in college and the NFL that didnt come from AAA schools.But i understand what your saying.I would say if they would happen to win a state championship with him performing the same in 14 games it would really get some eyeballs wide open.Especially the bigger name schools.Is he a SR.?

[ QUOTE ]

no offense to that guy personally, it takes alot to have 500 yards in a game, but he did do it against shelby valley KY. and everyone knows about them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, everybody doesn't.

Are you talking about the SV that has a new coach and scored 70+ points in their opener, then 40-ish against Matewan? Because that's NOT the SV that Grundy's played the past couple of years.

OK, I went to the Williamson game Thursday night to see if this kid is for real. He does look a bit smaller than 5"9' 180lbs but he plays big. Lightning fast speed and moves to match. Everytime you think the kid has been stuffed at the line, he somehow breaks loose and is GONE! After hyper-extending his knee last year, this kid hit the weight room with a vengeance. First guy in, last one out. He is very strong. Watching him run through opposing lineman proves this easily. The ONLY thing against him is his relatively small size. In every other department, he is extremely solid. He can throw a block. He has great hands. I spoke with Yogi Kinder, my old coach from our State Runner-Up team in 87-88, about 2 hours prior to the game and when I mentioned his newest star, his face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. He told me don't let his size fool you, he is very strong. After watching him play, it's very obvious he plays much bigger than he is. 3 games, over 1,000 yards rushing, 16 TD's. Keep your eyes on this kid. He's way bigger than Morehead State.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

no offense to that guy personally, it takes alot to have 500 yards in a game, but he did do it against shelby valley KY. and everyone knows about them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, everybody doesn't.

Are you talking about the SV that has a new coach and scored 70+ points in their opener, then 40-ish against Matewan? Because that's NOT the SV that Grundy's played the past couple of years.

[/ QUOTE ]didn't know that, I wasn't putting Grundy down, I'm just saying they're usually not too good, but everybody can turn it around. Thanks for the info.

I hope this guy does get more attention and possibly an offer from bigger schools than Morehead St., if they offer? But with his size and the schools location it does limit his visual possibilities. UNLESS, he can continue to dominate the comp and stay healthy. THEN, I don't think there can be any question as long as his speed is division 1 speed. I haven't seen anything about a 40 time or his speed on this thread. I know many say speed doesn't matter when your posting the numbers, but speed does matter when you look to get scholarship offers and looks from 1A & 1AA when your 5'8 or 5'9. Not a knock but a fact. Best of luck to Mr. McCoy for a continued great season.

[ QUOTE ]

there are a lot of players in college and the NFL that didnt come from AAA schools.But i understand what your saying.I would say if they would happen to win a state championship with him performing the same in 14 games it would really get some eyeballs wide open.Especially the bigger name schools.Is he a SR.?

[/ QUOTE ]

The town where Colt McCoy (Texas QB) is from only has a population of 700.

Guest JJBrickface

It probably would have helped if he would have went to some camps during the summer, then he could get his name out there and let the D-1 coaches see what he has.

Yes he is, but McCoy (Colt) led his team to a state title in one of the 3 biggest hot-bed states for football (Texas), or am I mistaken him with someone else (too much football this weekend has overloaded my memory...)?

McCoy (Paul) does not have the liberty of playing in a hot-bed football state, however, he does appear to seem like a fit up at WVU, much like Steve Slaton does. Slaton is not a very big back either, and if McCoy can keep up the pace, his feats may travel.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, not sure how official this is yet, but last night Matewan defeated Burch 64-0. Paul McCoy had 661 yards rushing and 10 TD's. HOLY F****** S***!!!!!

So after 5 games, he's amassed 1820 yards rushing and 26 TD's. His TD's were from: 69,1,52,56,53,15,31,84,87,25 yards and he had an 82 yard TD called back!!!!!

In the Williamson game, they had a passing TD while routing them 66-14 or whatever they beat em by. Yes, they do have a passing/receiving threat, but it's way easier to just give Paul the ball lol. After the game, the bulldogs were so pissed that they let him get the rushing yards that they wouldn't even shake hands afterwards. Does anyone know the national single game rushing record? I'm thinking McCoy beat it last night.