Paul McCoy Of Matewan High School

mhstigers1987

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2006-09-30-matewan-mccoy_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

W.Va. prep RB McCoy rushes for 658 yards, 10 touchdowns

Updated 9/30/2006 6:09 PM ET

DELBARTON, W.Va. (AP)  Matewan's Paul McCoy rushed for a state-record 658 yards and scored 10 touchdowns in a 64-0 win over rival Burch.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound senior's performance Friday came one day after the Secondary School Activities Commission ordered Matewan to forfeit its first two wins of the season on an eligibility issue.

The National Federation of State High School Associations lists the national record of 619 yards held by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995.

However, Doug Huff of Wheeling, a national high school records historian and secretary-treasurer of the West Virginia Sports Writers Association, said John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., rushed for 739 yards in a game against Mountain Lakes, N.J., in 1950.

"The National Federation book for some reason does not include that, and I think the reason is there's a formal process for submitting those things. This school doesn't exist anymore," Huff said Saturday. "The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It's been in my records for years."

In August, it was reported that McCoy rushed for 537 yards against Shelby Valley, Ky. But Huff reviewed media accounts and a videotape of the game and determined that McCoy actually had 440 yards.

Until Friday night, that temporarily left intact the state record of 460 yards set by Gilmer County's Jacob Lilly against Tygarts Valley in 2002.

Matewan coach Yogi Kinder defended his decision to keep McCoy in Friday's game.

"Why should there be any guilty feelings?" Kinder said. "Our school's smaller than they are. Why should I punish my kids for having a pretty good team? We were going to score 60 points if Paul doesn't even get on the bus."

McCoy's effort came one day after Matewan appealed an SSAC ruling that had taken away three of the team's four previous wins. On Thursday, the SSAC reduced the number of forfeited games to two and restored linebacker Garrett Epling's eligibility.

Matewan (3-2) plans to further appeal because the forfeits could jeopardize its playoff chances.

McCoy made his own statement about the controversy.

McCoy, who had 29 carries, ran for 477 yards alone on his touchdown runs, which covered 69, 1, 53, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards. He had a 77-yard TD run called back by penalty.

His 10 touchdowns would tie him with two others for the second-most ever nationally. The record is 12 set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.

McCoy has 1,723 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns this season. He's averaging 345 yards per game, which is on pace to break the state 10-game record of 2,744 yards set last year by Nitro's Josh Culbertson.

Kinder, who also teaches driver's education at Burch, said he'll have no problem going back to work.

"I show up every Monday after we beat them," he said.

I know what yall are suggesting about records and ssubstitutes such, but really how many opportunities are their to go for a national record. Don't think the previous national record wasn't from some out of hand game, certainly there's not an rb that would have that yarfdage in a competitive game, example what's the record for the pros?

That said likely most records in sports are from games with lesser competition, not all but likely most.

[ QUOTE ]

That said likely most records in sports are from games with lesser competition, not all but likely most.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's usually the case, and I don't think anyone considers Burch to be a top notch program, I can think of one major exception, the 1998 AAA title game that Nitro beat Morgantown 69-52, certainly no lack of competition when House threw 10 TD passes.

Whether Burch had anything of a team our not, it's still an outstanding accomplishment, and not just a 1-game thing from what I'm hearing. Whether the kid's good enough to play division 1 or not, they'll certainly look at him at least.

It sounds like Matewan and Mt Hope could really challenge Wheeling Central in single A this year. Those 2 teams used to be power players in that division years ago, and it's nice to see them get back to that level, or so it seems.