Can someone give me the realignment for 2007?

jblank

Marion and Abingdon are going to the Southwest, the River Ridge District goes to Region IV. John Battle, Virginia High, Lee High, Gate City, and Lebanon are forming a new district (Clinch Mountain District) in Region D.

[ QUOTE ]

Marion and Abingdon are going to the Southwest, the River Ridge District goes to Region IV. John Battle, Virginia High, Lee High, Gate City, and Lebanon are forming a new district (Clinch Mountain District) in Region D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clinch Mountain....I like that. This is single A isn't it?

Kinda hate that we're dropping to single A, but it may make us more competitive overall. I'm just glad the initial proposal that had us going into a district with Pound and some other teams didn't pan out, that would have been awful. At least this way we keep playing teams we're geographic rivals with.

[ QUOTE ]

Where are the Highlands teams gonna up, etc.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

The adopted redistricting and reclassification information for the next two years can be found here: http://www.vhsl.org/MoreAboutVHSL/RR.htm

Choose the first link, it opens to the Microsoft Word document detailing the location for all Virginia schools.

<u>Group AA, Region IV:</u>

River Ridge Dist.

Blacksburg

Cave Spring

Christiansburg

Hidden Valley

Pulaski County

Salem (S)

District #2**

Abingdon

Carroll County

Graham

Grundy Senior

Marion Senior

Richlands

Tazewell

Piedmont Dist.

Bassett

Magna Vista

Martinsville

Patrick County

Tunstall

<u>Group A, Region D:</u>

District 1

Council

Haysi

Honaker

Hurley

Twin Valley

District 2

Castlewood

Coeburn

Ervinton

Rye Cove

Saint Paul

Twin Springs

Walker, Thomas

District 3

Appalachia

Burton, J. I.

Clintwood

Kelly, J. J.

Pound

Powell Valley

District 4

Battle, John

Gate City

Lebanon

Lee

Virginia

Well, a good number of us in Virginia would like things to be simple like in the TSSAA. The problem is, the VHSL is run by the Group AAA schools and nothing will ever change all around the board while everything is goin' good up there. Things would be a lot better if we had a body in the VHSL that basically dictates "you are a single A school or double A school or triple A school and this is the district you will play in because its the best geographic fit." Lee High playing down in single A, Carroll County being in the SWD, the Piedmont District in Region IV, 30 somthing AA size schools playing in Triple A, and a playoff system where a team can go 9-1 and miss the playoffs while a 3-7 team can make the playoffs, the list of idiocies in the VHSL just go on and on... If Virginia scrapped its current system and went to a more simple and logical system like most other Southern states do, not just Tenn. things would be a lot better.

[ QUOTE ]

Well, a good number of us in Virginia would like things to be simple like in the TSSAA. The problem is, the VHSL is run by the Group AAA schools and nothing will ever change all around the board while everything is goin' good up there. Things would be a lot better if we had a body in the VHSL that basically dictates "you are a single A school or double A school or triple A school and this is the district you will play in because its the best geographic fit." Lee High playing down in single A, Carroll County being in the SWD, the Piedmont District in Region IV, 30 somthing AA size schools playing in Triple A, and a playoff system where a team can go 9-1 and miss the playoffs while a 3-7 team can make the playoffs, the list of idiocies in the VHSL just go on and on... If Virginia scrapped its current system and went to a more simple and logical system like most other Southern states do, not just Tenn. things would be a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 8-2 and 9-1 teams in Group AAA that miss the playoffs.

/ just sayin'

[ QUOTE ]

but does a 3-7 team from the same district get in? It happens here!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know as well as I that there will never be a consensus on this issue.

/prefers a 3-7 get a shot as opposed to a 9-1 be denied

Each of the three classes are split into two divions for football only. The divisions are not divided state-wide though. Each of the four regions in each group is divided into a higher division and a lower division. 16 teams from each division make the playoffs, 4 teams in Region A, Division 1 make the playoffs and 4 from Region B, Division 1 make it and so on. District champions automatically make the playoffs then there are wildcard spots to fill up the rest of the playoffs spots. We use a points system to decide wild card berths and seeding in the playoffs. So like in Region D there are 3 districts so there are 3 automatic spots in the playoffs, Haysi is division 2 and they already more than likely won the Black Diamond District, so they automatically get a spot in the Region D, Div 2 playoffs. If J.I. Burton wins the LPD, they are division 1, so they will automatically get in the Region D, div. 1 playoffs. Castlewood will win the Cumberland title, they are div. 1 so they also get a berth in the Reg. D-D1 playoffs. So there are three wildcard spots in Region D, Div. 2 playoffs and 2 are left for Region D, Div. 1. Those spots will go the teams who have the highest power ranking.

If you got all that, here's what happened in 2004 :

Rye Cove, Powell Valley & Honaker were the Dist. champs - all 3 were in Div. 2, leaving just 1 wild-card spot.

Haysi went 9-1, losing only to Honaker. Gate City went 8-2, but played a tougher schedule, and had more ratings points than Haysi, so the 9-1 Tigers stayed home.

Hurley lost to Honaker, Haysi & Twin Valley, but had 4 wins, which gave them enough points to be the #4 seed in Div. 1 (which had just 3 schools that finished above .500)

I also remember in 2003, when Honaker sat at home 9-1 because Rye Cove went 4-6, but won the very weak Cumberland District so they got a spot in the D2 playoffs. Of course Honaker played a pretty weak schedule that year and got outpointed by Powell Valley by 1/10 of a point for the last spot. Same thing happened to George Wythe in '04 Grayson won the MED, GW lost to Lebanon and GW's fairly weak out of district schedule kept them home from the playoffs at 9-1.

[ QUOTE ]

Each of the three classes are split into two divions for football only. The divisions are not divided state-wide though. Each of the four regions in each group is divided into a higher division and a lower division. 16 teams from each division make the playoffs, 4 teams in Region A, Division 1 make the playoffs and 4 from Region B, Division 1 make it and so on. District champions automatically make the playoffs then there are wildcard spots to fill up the rest of the playoffs spots. We use a points system to decide wild card berths and seeding in the playoffs. So like in Region D there are 3 districts so there are 3 automatic spots in the playoffs, Haysi is division 2 and they already more than likely won the Black Diamond District, so they automatically get a spot in the Region D, Div 2 playoffs. If J.I. Burton wins the LPD, they are division 1, so they will automatically get in the Region D, div. 1 playoffs. Castlewood will win the Cumberland title, they are div. 1 so they also get a berth in the Reg. D-D1 playoffs. So there are three wildcard spots in Region D, Div. 2 playoffs and 2 are left for Region D, Div. 1. Those spots will go the teams who have the highest power ranking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever you guys have comeing up and running this stuff ought to be shot. I've read this 4 times and I still don't understand it... I feel sorry for you guys cause youhave to play in that mess... Why make it so complacated?... In TN, (in football) there are 5 classifacations, 1A-5A. Each classifacation is divided into 8 regions. At the end of the regulare season, the top 4 teams from each region makes the play-offs. Its that simple. Why is is so complacated up there?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever you guys have comeing up and running this stuff ought to be shot. I've read this 4 times and I still don't understand it... I feel sorry for you guys cause youhave to play in that mess... Why make it so complacated?... In TN, (in football) there are 5 classifacations, 1A-5A. Each classifacation is divided into 8 regions. At the end of the regulare season, the top 4 teams from each region makes the play-offs. Its that simple. Why is is so complacated up there?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not that much diffrent then how you do it there!!

yeah, it's a real mess, all because the principals have voted against a wholesale state-wide realignment for many years. With 300 schools, many of us think VA should go to a 4A or 5A set-up. If they think the enrollment is too spread out for football, it should be that way for basketball and other sports, too.

I would love to see ratings points tossed aside (maybe used as a tie-breaker) and let District records decide who gets in, like TN & KY do.

Single A right now is about 650 and fewer in grades 9-12, which is similar to the old 500 and fewer in 3 grades that they used for years. We also let schools "play-up" if they wish, so AAA has about 125 schools right now, including 1 near Richmond that is just barely AA. Going to a 5A set-up would basically split AAA in half, and combine the bigger A's with the smaller AA's.

The problem is - that would actually reduce the number of playoff teams in football (meaning less money going to the state), while increasing their expenses due to adding 2 more state tournaments for all those non-revenue sports.

that is why teams like graham in the swd and gatecity play a much tougher out of district schedule than others do. because if you are in a bigger district it makes it more difficult to win the district so the power points you get from and if you win your non district games helps with a wild card berth in the playoffs. so it pays to play as big a school as possible and the toughest schools possible.

Like someone else said earlier, this isn't just a A and AA problem. Last year Virina, a AAA powerhouse in the Richmond area missed the playoffs at 9-1. They didn't win their district because they lost to Highland Springs. Anybody that saw Varina play would say they were a tremendous team and would go deep into the playoffs, but because the Springers got up for them, the Blue Devils sat home. Varina didn't have the power points to be a wild card cause nobody anywhere near them will schedule them as a non-district game. It is rediculous. I have heard people argue that changes won't be made because of how it would effect other sports and what it would cost the VHSL (especialy with non-profit sports) but I just don't buy it. Realignment for football doe not have to mean realignment for every other sport. Break it up into 1A through 5A, 6A, or even 7A. I don't understand how teams in the same school district are not in the same athletic district. There should be some huge rivalries there that would make the VHSL plenty of money, but you loose money when you force teams to travel 2 to 3 hours because they are worried about power points.