Virginia High @ Tazewell

parsons

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this one. I hear that no one does homecoming quite like Tazewell.

It will also by a chance to see what VA High has.

I know McDaniels is chomping at the bit to play. If he does he could be the X factor Tazewell needs.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to this one. I hear that no one does homecoming quite like Tazewell.

It will also by a chance to see what VA High has.

I know McDaniels is chomping at the bit to play. If he does he could be the X factor Tazewell needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

??????Tazewell has a good homecoming?????

A few factors will come into play.

Can we hold on to the ball? We have had some fumble issues.

Can we tackle against a bigger team? We're definitely gonna be the smaller team and that sometimes causes us big problems.

Is this the "let down game"? We've had two straight nailbiter victories, can the kids get up for Tazewell?

Can Tazewell match our speed? If we can get outside a lot I don't see us losing.

I say its a 6 point game, maybe 24-18 us, or 13-7 them.

[ QUOTE ]

Can we tackle against a bigger team? We're definitely gonna be the smaller team and that sometimes causes us big problems.

Is this the "let down game"? We've had two straight nailbiter victories, can the kids get up for Tazewell?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have had 3 nailbiters...ABINGDON, MARION, and GATE CITY.

Can we tackle against a bigger team? GATE CITY was bigger up front and PARKS is a load. We tackled him....granted he rushes for 147 yards but took him 27 carries to get there @ 5.4 yards per carry. He got most of those yards on their 2 scoring drives. Gate City punted 6 times I think.

I don't know why the kids wouldn't get up for this one. Possible 1st round playoff game on the line.

I HOPE SO! haha

We had a "BYE" after Abingdon, thats why I said two in a row, meaning two straight weeks.

The Marion kid caused us problems and so did THS, and the GC kid still got 150 against us, not exactly stellar. The game is very winnable though, but there are a lot of factors in play.

[ QUOTE ]

Va.High is 4th in the state.Bearcats will win easily against a still injured Bulldawg team.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rating might be a BIT inflated, but its winnable, you're right about that, but easily?????? I don't know.

[ QUOTE ]

The Marion kid caused us problems and so did THS, and the GC kid still got 150 against us, not exactly stellar. The game is very winnable though, but there are a lot of factors in play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Marion kid...the FB will cas many teams problems. They had 2 HUGE fullbacks.

Yes they did. I was impressed with that kid, Creasey I think was his name? Tough runner but he ran tall and I'm surprised we weren't able to get some fumbles from him.

mcdaniels will play this friday, walker is back and riddle still has hip pointer but he is too tough a kid to let that stop him...not saying T-town will win but they will be looking to bounce back...

[ QUOTE ]

you crack me up drew!!! maybe if you participated in more activities... and showed some school spirit... you'd see the fun! way to support your school

[/ QUOTE ]

I have plenty of school spirit and I participate in everything.

The homecoming game comment was not dealing with football; it just irks me that our homecoming dance is in the cafeteria just like a normal dance. Homecoming week in Tazewell is not as big of an event as it is at other schools.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

those two big FB's didnt seem to give Graham alot of trouble...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought when I read that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said GRAHAM scored early on BIG PLAYS they didnt drive the ball on Marion really. BIG PLAYS BEAT MARION IN THAT GAME

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said GRAHAM scored early on BIG PLAYS they didnt drive the ball on Marion really. BIG PLAYS BEAT MARION IN THAT GAME

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...no they didn't. Graham scored one a 1-yard run by Barreras in the first quarter then scored on a 7-yard run by Brown and a 6-yard run by Cole in the second quarter. The only "big play" Graham scored on was a 64-yard run by Brown in the third quarter.

Graham amassed 359 yards of total offense (226 rushing/133 passing) against Marion. They held Marion to 71 yards of total offense for the games (all rushing).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...no they didn't. Graham scored one a 1-yard run by Barreras in the first quarter then scored on a 7-yard run by Brown and a 6-yard run by Cole in the second quarter. The only "big play" Graham scored on was a 64-yard run by Brown in the third quarter.

Graham amassed 359 yards of total offense (226 rushing/133 passing) against Marion. They held Marion to 71 yards of total offense for the games (all rushing).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there and the BIG PLAY DID set everything up for those short TD's...haha but OK!

G-Man is right.no big plays.Grahams objective was to control the clock and get first downs which they did.Marion didnt get a first down until the 2nd qtr.they had negative yardage in the first qtr.the 2 fullbacks werent a problem at all.

They didn't control the clock really..I'm not saying they didn't stop MARION...haha... by all means they did. I'm saying they used big plays to get into scoring position early on.

I know Graham ran FB trap and the read option on Marion with good success down inside the 25 yardline and scored on both those plays by the FB and the QB. But to get in that position, it was the big plays to your speedster Brown.

Graham got the ball to him as often as possible. Marion couldn't stop him on jet sweep or anything off tackle or wider or in the passing game either for that matter.

Graham would send Brown in motion and it was obvious where the ball would be going and still Marion couldn't stop it.

I.E...BIG PLAYS... most of the yardage came in chunks not really from sustained drives.

Marion's first, 1st down came with just about 6 minutes to go in the 2nd Quarter...you don't have to tell me, I was there. haha

Graham's defense played great...never said they didnt. I think Marion could give Carroll Co, Tazwell, and Abingdon trouble. They aren't a bad football team.

BUT WHO CARES...Graham @ Marion is old news.

Lets move on please.

[ QUOTE ]

They didn't control the clock really..I'm not saying they didn't stop MARION...haha... by all means they did. I'm saying they used big plays to get into scoring position early on.

I know Graham ran FB trap on Marion with good success down inside the 25 yardline but to get there, it was big plays to your speedster Brown.

Graham got the ball to him as often as possible. Marion couldn't stop him on jet sweep or anything to the outside or in the passing game either for that matter.

Graham would send Brown in motion and it was obvious where the ball would be going and still Marion couldn't stop it.

I.E...BIG PLAYS... most of the yardage came in chunks not really from sustained drives.

Marion's first, 1st down came with just about 6 minutes to go in the 2nd Quarter...you don't have to tell me, I was there. haha

Graham's defense played great...never said they didnt. I think Marion could give Carroll Co, Tazwell, and Abingdon trouble. They aren't a bad football team.

BUT WHO CARES...Graham @ Marion is old news.

Lets move on please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...here's the write up on the game. Other than the 64-yard TD, where are the "big plays"???

Defense shines as G-Men hand Marion first loss

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

MARION, Va. — With Richlands on tap next Friday, the Graham G-Men had to get its swagger back. They did.

Steven Brown ran for 100 yards and two touchdowns, and the Graham defense didn’t allow Marion a first down until the third quarter, as the G-Men prepared for next week’s Southwest District tilt with Richlands by blanking Marion 27-0 on Friday night at Hurricane Stadium.

It was a much-needed win for the G-Men (2-2), which had lost consecutive games to Martinsville and Blacksburg.

“We should have done better the last two weeks,” Graham senior Josh Broyles said, “but we got our swagger back tonight.”

Brown used the same word to describe the win for Graham, which led 27-0 before the Hurricanes ever got a first down. The G-Men took a 21-0 lead into the break, having out-gained Marion 258-(-7).

“It was real important to get this win because we were real down because of the past two losses,” Brown said. “We knew we had to get our swagger back. We had to come out here and play our hardest. We knew in our heart we had to keep going no matter what.”

Graham was never threatened in this one. On the first play of the game, Marion’s Nathaniel Creasy was dropped for a 10-yard loss by Jim Ed Williams. For the game, the ‘Canes (3-1) had just 71 yards on the ground and none through the air.

“They were undefeated and we came in here maybe wondering a little bit about ourselves,” Graham head coach Doug Marrs said. “We bowed up and played like we’re capable of playing.”

Led by a strong effort from the offensive line, Brown, T.J. Carper and Tyler Barreras ran for 15 first half first downs and three touchdowns. Will Cole also threw the ball with efficiency, completing 6-of-12 passes for 133 yards and he also ran for another score. Brown caught three of those for 72 yards.

“We did play very well in the first half,” Marrs said. “It can make a great deal of difference when we can give (Will) time to throw the ball. It was a total team effort tonight, we did what we had to do to win.”

Brown put the G-Men on the board early in the second half, busting through a huge hole and dashing 64 yards for the score. Barreras, Brown and Cole each had first half rushing touchdowns.

“I give all my credit to those boys up front,” Brown said. “They open the holes and I just go in them, it’s all them.”

Defensively, Broyles, Williams and Barreras sparked a strong effort that didn’t allow the ‘Canes to even consider getting points on the board.

“We just wanted to come out and get ready for next week,” Broyles said. “We wanted to get our confidence back and just try to hit hard and show people that we shouldn’t have lost those two games.”

Next up is Richlands (4-0), which has won four games by a combined score of 202-20. There’s little doubt it will be a challenge. Marrs said the preparation would begin when the bus pulled into the parking lot Friday night.

“We hadn’t had a chance to think about next week,” Marrs said. “I just know it’s on the schedule, but we’ll start to watch film as soon as we get back.”

at Hurricane Stadium

Graham. (2-2).....................7 14 6 0 — 27

Marion (3-1)........................0 0 0 0 — 0

First Quarter

GR—Barreras 1 run (Mahood kick)

Second Quarter

GR—Brown 7 run (Mahood kick)

GR—Cole 6 run (Mahood kick)

Third Quarter

GR—Brown 64 run (kick failed) GR MR

First Downs 18 5

Rush-Yards 40-226 33-71