Molly Tynes

BigD4VT

Is anyone here familiar with the story of Molly Tynes? She was a young Tazewell County woman who in 1863 rode across the mountains to Wytheville and warned the people there of an impending Yankee attack. Sort of like Paul Revere except on a local scale. There has been a lot a debate lately about whether it really happened, or if it's more myth than truth. She has a tombstone in Tazewell but some believe it's just a monument and that she's actually buried in West Virginia with her husband. Well tomorrow the president of the Tazewell County Historical Society is taking me to the cemetery where I will "dowse" the grave and determine with 100% certainty if the grave is empty or occupied. Grave Dowsing is a technique I learned a couple of years ago that will also tell me the gender of the person in the grave and their approximate height. Just thought some of you might find this kind of thing interesting.

Similar to divining rods used to find water, actually it's the same thing. I learned about it when I was helping to restore an old family cemetery in Baptist Valley. We knew we had a lot of unmarked graves, and since there was a boundary dispute with the landowner, we needed a way to see if any of them extended outside the fence. I went on the Internet looking for ways to do that (things like ground penetrating radar) and stumbled upon grave dowsing.

Basically it works by holding the rods in front of you parallel to each other and the ground. You just walk slowly with them and once they are over a grave they will cross (x marks the spot) I was skeptical when I read about it but I made the rods and took them to the cemetery to test them out anyway. I tried them on my grandparents graves and nearly dropped the darn things when they crossed. I didn't know whether to be amazed or scared. I've used them many times since and found that the cemetery in Baptist Valley has around 100 unmarked graves (only 12 marked ones) I even found a horse buried outside the fence.

For anyone who thinks I'm making this up, I can show you how to do it and I will even lay down on the ground and allow you to test them on me. They behave exactly the same way on a live person laying on the ground as they do a deceased one six feet beneath it. This is the way our ancestors checked a grave site prior to digging. It's been around for hundreds of years.

id like/have to see that done..and im not doubting you at all but how did you confirm the 100 or so unmarked graves?? were they dug up and relocated or what??

Heck no that would be a felony. Some of the graves were obvious because they were sunken. Others, when I found them, usually had a small field stone close by that was hidden by the weeds and/or dirt, but all I really need for confirmation is the way the rods behave. Like I said, there is no difference between a live person, an unmarked grave, or a marked grave.

Also, they do find water. I made a believer out of a friend when I located the water pipes in his yard and followed them across the street. He knew exactly where the pipes were because he's seen them dug up.

No one can explain why it works. It must have something to do with a magnetism in the bones and the way they are polarized to the earth. Also, male and female bones are polar opposites. That's how I determine gender.

If you want to see it just let me know next time you are in the area. I'd love to meet you anyway and I always get a kick out a person's reaction when they see it. By the way, every person I've showed this to not only believed it, but (the ones who wanted to ) were able to do it themselves within minutes.

after i read this i looked up grave dowsing on google. i went to my closet and got out 2 metal clothes hangers and bent them into a 90 degree angle and told my mom to go lay down in the floor. Much to my surprise the clothes hangers acted just as Big D said they would. As i walked over my moms body the rods crossed. and as soon as i was back over her body, they went back straight. Se tried it on me and it didnt work quite as well for me but they most defineately crossed. But one of the rods actually did a full circle. dont know what that means...maybe i have like super powers like magneto or something.

Anyway, i think this is really cool.

Ask your mom to lay on the floor then tightly hold one rod above her, as high as you can reach and point it across her (not towards her head or feet) then release your grip... the rod will then "circle" and point to her feet. That's means she's female. It would point to the head of a male.

By the way, based on what I've read I don't expect to find her buried there. I think the marker came long after her death, or at least that's how I understand it, and if her husband is buried in West Virginia it would be very odd if she wasn't buried beside him. Especially in those days.

"Many people may not aware of the many Scientific studies and experiments, all of which disproves dowsing capabilities. In one such study conducted in 1986, University Physicists from the University of Munich and the Technical University of Munich in Munich Germany spent 400,000 German marks (about $250,000.00) testing the dowsing theory. The results provide the most convincing disproof imaginable that dowsers can do what they claim. In fact, the results showed that the dowsers would have done better had they left their rods at home and guessed in the experiments. For the complete story as published in the January 1999 issue of Skeptical Inquirer, see http://www.csicop.org/si/9901/dowsing.html. "

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~rasmus/skepticism/dowsing.html

I was a little curious of the practice and how it worked and found these sites. I don't doubt the claims, but I thought I should at least link these. They're all liked from the same site: http://www.savinggraves.org/education/bookshelf/unmarked.htm and furthermore the tests were performed by people who wanted it to work.

Haha, yeah I've read those and they have nothing to do with graves. They did the study by placing water pipes underneath the floor of a barn. The dowsing may have been performed by people who wanted it to work, but the tests were designed by people who wanted it to fail. Also, there were many different methods of dowsing used, including a forked piece of wood.

Trust me it works.

[ QUOTE ]

i have about 200 acres in tazewell. think they may be 3 graves on it... like to know for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to check as long as you can show me about where they are.

Would you be interested in giving me permission to take some nature pictures on your land sometime this winter?

My uncle can make quarters appear from behind my ears.

Actually Mrs. Tynes some spell it Tines drove a 1966 Nova through the woods warning "of those they do not speak of" in the valley that the sky was falling. This stick thing is hillarious, why not just poke it in the ground and see if you hit something or at least dig with it. You are not truely going to get in front of a large group of people and pretend this works? shocked.gif

Warning: This post is a light hearted joke not meant to be taken seriously. I am however very skeptical of this!

[ QUOTE ]

So let us know what u find out because we walked to the cemetary last year in school and looked at her grave for a project

[/ QUOTE ]

I went there but the lady who was going to be my guide didn't show. I walked around in the rain for about 30 minutes and I couldn't find Molly's grave. I'll try again when her or someone else can show me where it is.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i have about 200 acres in tazewell. think they may be 3 graves on it... like to know for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to check as long as you can show me about where they are.

Would you be interested in giving me permission to take some nature pictures on your land sometime this winter?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure anytime. its own a small flat ridge, three sink holes. lots of indian relics around them

Guest JJBrickface

This is the most fantastic thread in the history of this forum. I am going to have to try it to see for myself. Be sure to update the Molly Tynes story.