Questions about richlands' 92 state title?

futbolking

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with the Buzzsaw on this. Level playing fields and fair competition are what it is all about. If you find an edge that is within the rules, so be it. Otherwise, play hard and don't cheat.

The true shame of the 1992 fiasco is that people who had no hand it making the decision to cheat were punished, and continue to be marked by the decision of the coach. RHS, has to live with the stigma and that is a shame for all those affected in the first place and all that have followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, plus how stupid was it to order the cleats from CMT in Salem and you're getting ready to play Salem???

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't think the cleats had anything to do with that game. We played both teams that year and both ended up beating us in the 4th quater. Salem's speed was negated down at Richlands because it was so muddy. Richlands just simply lined up and ran Breeding and Salyers down your throats. In '93 Richlands was 9-1 and beat us 14-7. This was without Salyers who was a HELL of a running back.They possibly could have defended their title that year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have played for Graham. That was the Jay Gray era. Actually, we were 7-3, we lost to Lebanon, Powell Valley, and Christiansburg. We did have an excellent team and would have made some noise in the playoffs. That era of Richlands Football was the cornerstone of the program. Most of the people that talk about that era bring up the cleats. To be blunt, I'm tired of hearing about it and tired of having to defend it. The people that smear Richlands Football or Dennis Vaught simply do not know what they are talking about. I do appreciate some positive imput though, oldskool. Brad Salyers was simply an incredible athlete and student. His loss was felt then and is still felt today. I am very proud to be a member of that '92 State Championship team. And I will defend that team, its players AND coaches for the rest of my days.

[ QUOTE ]

the funny thing is that everyone blames richlands bc they won but in fact Salem had the same cleet tips on...no difference...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I never heard that until now. Besides it was the length of the illegal cleats that was the issue, not the tips. Bottom line, cheaters never win, winners never cheat. I guess that was only half true in this case.

"To be blunt, I'm tired of hearing about it and tired of having to defend it."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!

[ QUOTE ]

if it did not matter, than they would not have a rule against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont hurt anyone if i do 26 mph through kimball wv but i will get a ticket cause of that rule they have called 25mph speed zone

Any day that your willing to show me the dream world you live in called Utopia, I'll gladly move there. The term loosely was pointing to the statement. Dude let me guess you've never litered, kicked a cat, or never not flusehed a toliet. Take a laxative and ease that constipation problem it's affecting your mind. There are certain edges that things can be taken too, just dont go over the edge. I'm not making a statement to cheat or to put a hit out on someone, but play to the edge. Your talking about sports and I'm guessing all sports (I'm sure you'll let me know otherwise if not)but have you ever watched a basketball game (high school) lately. Then you know what palming the ball is????? Not legal but they do it and get away with......this is my point. I'm sorry if you had difficulty deriving that from my statement, I hope this opens your eyes a little more and please take those utopia goggles off. The worlds just not that nice, I share your wants, but it's just not.

My mistake, thanks for clearing that up. I thought that they finished 9-1. But they still were a hell of a team and in my opinion with Salyers they would have repeated. if they would have been eligible.