martinsville-richlands final

mhsalum

dogs won 71-55. slow start to the game, but martinsville hit another gear and pushed the score to 24-10 at the end of the quarter. they lead by 19 at the half i think. the lead swelled to about 26 or so at one time, but several 3s by richlands kept the game from getting completely ugly. (that one kid, number 4 i think, hit probably 6 3s!)

and as i said it would be, the doghouse was not a whole lot over half full.

oh yea...i saw one of the weirdest plays i've ever seen in a high school bball game...

richlands had the ball in their halfcourt set...martinsville was pressuring them man to man. richlands through the ball out of bounds and a spectator swatted it back in play (the front row of bleachers at the doghouse are only a few feet out of play). a richlands player gathered it in and headed straight to the hole for the layup. none of the 3 officials whistled the ball out of bounds.

it kind of was a momentum swinger for richlands...they got that layup, then i believe hit back to back 3s on their next 2 possessions.

boy he wasnt too smart then eh??...i wouldnt pick a swva team to win in basketball against a piedmont or riverridge team anyday unless one of them had a lebron on there team lol.....buti would still root for them

As I said before the season started, the SWD and Highlands are the "whipping boys" for the Piedmont in basketball...but no one would listen to me, I don't know anything about basketball...

[ QUOTE ]

what about carroll county how did they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was wondering the same. we were told at martinsville tonight that if all 3 swd teams lost, then the semis would not be at graham...they'd be moved to abingdon.

MV played terrible tonight. Missed a boatload of layups and easy putbacks. Will give it to Lee though, they played hard all game put just didn't get many easy looks against the ball-hawking pressure of MV.Now Thursday night Bassett & MV (15 minutes apart) get to drive 2 hours or so to play each other on a school night. Ought to be a big crowd for that one.LOL.. By the way mhsalum we had a crowd of about 450 or so at MV tonight, the cheerleaders voices were echoing due to the small crowd,heard it was about the same on Cleveland Ave.

[ QUOTE ]

As I said before the season started, the SWD and Highlands are the "whipping boys" for the Piedmont in basketball...but no one would listen to me, I don't know anything about basketball...

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you are absolutely true! The SWD teams are hurt in basketball so much bc football coaches discourage kids to play basketball and stay in the weightroom all winter to lift. Do i disagree with this?? lol....well, i'm not so sure

man Grundy played theyre heart out was a back and fourth game till the 4th..Jimmy Ashby pretty much owned the paint several blocks..i will miss jimmy..great athlete..and i must congratulate the Bassett Bengals sportsman ship..especially #31 out theyre acted like he was best friends with the entire Grundy team..LETS GO CAVS

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was wondering the same. we were told at martinsville tonight that if all 3 swd teams lost, then the semis would not be at graham...they'd be moved to abingdon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?

I was looking forward to watching some real HS bball.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?

I was looking forward to watching some real HS bball.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard mhs's athletic director and coaches mentioning it after the game.

although it certainly would be nice to see a piedmont matchup using non-pd refs...i bet everyone would foul out!! hahaha

[ QUOTE ]

where you at Fraizer11???

[/ QUOTE ]

he said he'd be in the stands laughing tonight. so i'd think he's still got 30 mins to an hour before he gets to the house. just a guess

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

va high won by 20 some

It's not that, G-Man; mhsalum and I are "old friends", and I would have liked not to have seen either Bassett or MV anymore this season. Hopefully, it looks like we will see one of them at least one more time.

All three SWD teams did lose but the semis will be at Graham - although I was told that GMS had no more seating in it than the 'Doghouse. They may have to empty the gym between games to find everyone a seat if that's the case. And, if I remember correctly, GMS has a rubber floor. Not good for growing knees.

[ QUOTE ]

It's not that, G-Man; mhsalum and I are "old friends", and I would have liked not to have seen either Bassett or MV anymore this season. Hopefully, it looks like we will see one of them at least one more time.

All three SWD teams did lose but the semis will be at Graham - although I was told that GMS had no more seating in it than the 'Doghouse. They may have to empty the gym between games to find everyone a seat if that's the case. And, if I remember correctly, GMS has a rubber floor. Not good for growing knees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it's rubber, same with the ones at TMS and RMS if I recall correctly.

I didn't mind the rubber part, but they always seemed to be slick.