BLUEFIELD 80 MT. VIEW 59 FINAL

bluefieldRocks

Guest BEAVERTAIL

you compare gaither with one team in one game? there was def more positive than negative. Last i checked he is the only coach to ever when a state title in bluefield basketball histroy. he took a lot of less talented beaver teams and made them achieve a lot more than expected... Plus the whole team just quit that game. period. The attitude and displine problems on that team were horrible. but yes they still lost to a lesser team in independence.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i agree with that also... the only one that really compains to the refs is hammond and he has had some reasons to do so but he doesn't need to talk anyway... Brooks has toned it down a lot compared to the past...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

you compare gaither with one team in one game? there was def more positive than negative. Last i checked he is the only coach to ever when a state title in bluefield basketball histroy. he took a lot of less talented beaver teams and made them achieve a lot more than expected... Plus the whole team just quit that game. period. The attitude and displine problems on that team were horrible. but yes they still lost to a lesser team in independence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok a few things here. I was just using that team as an example because they didn't go upstate. He had other teams that were very good who went upstate and didn't perform well. Gilliard has taken to Charleston every year I think and took us to the state champ game last year. Those teams were not significantly better than the ones Gaither had. As for the 2003 team being undisciplined and quitting......a lot of that falls on the COACH. Like I said I really liked Gaither but it really is unfair to say he is so much greater than Gilliard.

I disagree with that. Playing in such an easy sectional and regional and such. Its nothing for bluefield to get upstate. We have talent year end and year out. And with the talent we've had over the past 10 years for example. Which of the coaches have cashed in for a AA title? Answer: Danny Gaither, and he took it twice!

Guest JJBrickface

Well that team barely beat Pikeview in the sectionals as I recall. Actually in the past ten years Gaither was the coach of 6 of those teams and they won 0 state championships.

Im not saying Gilliard is a bad coach. Far from it. he's a good coach. He just dosent know how to utalize his players and use them for there stregnths. There quick and can shoot. run the ball up and down the court the whole game and get them tired. Its as simple as that, I'll have a hell of alot more respect for gilliard if they bring it home this year. This is one of the better bluefield teams i've saw in the past 5 or so years.... If they dont bring it home, then something is deffinetly wrong

Guest JJBrickface

Many do say Gilliard is a bad coach. I am just saying that his numbers are equal to that of Danny Gaither's.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

also when gaither was a coach the sectionals and regionals were different for many years and im pretty sure we had to play some teams from wyoming county... not sure though...

You're right, Gillyard isnt a bad coach, but alot of people look at one number where he isn't equal to Gaither, which is 2 titles. But titles are very hard to win and Gillyard has had some bad luck, especially last year in the finals. Ravenswood shot 30-40 free throws, and BHS shot 1. I was there and that just wasn't right.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Gaither made sure there wasn't any doubt though in his championship games... free throws would have done then was just added more time till he got the title...lol

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Gilliard = no state titles

Gaither = 2 state titles "back to back"

I dont see where you're getting this comparison from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gilliard 3 seasons - state runner up, and two semi final games.

Gaither 2003 - lost in regionals

2002 - semifinals

2001 - 1st round

2000 - lost in either sectional or regionals

1999 - state runners up and that team was stacked also

1998 - lost in quarterfinals

1997 - state runners up but a 15-12 record

1996 - State Champs

1995 - State Champs

and I don't know when Gaither started but from 1990-1994 we didnt make it up state.

1996 - State Champs

1995 - State Champs

------------------------

So 4 out of the 5 years, gaither has taken us to a Championship game. Thats not to shabby

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

1996 - State Champs

1995 - State Champs

------------------------

So 4 out of the 5 years, gaither has taken us to a Championship game. Thats not to shabby

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the other years? What about his early years, what about his later years?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Gaither still put Bluefield basketball on the map. Period. but arguing who is better is like saying who is better Dean Smith or Roy williams... only diff is Roy has a ring, Ernie is still waiting. But both records are comparable... besides the championship thing...

Im not going to sit here and argue. When gilliard wins a state title. In my opinion he'll be a great coach. Until then he's just an "above average" coach..

Just like peyton manning, how they said if he didnt win a championship, his career wouldnt be valid

So Dan Marino and Jim Kelley are just "above average" QB's?

I know nothing of the situation, but you cannnot compare coaches from two different generations, it is just not plausible.

I am sure both coaches have their pros and cons, but both have been in different situations with different players.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

So Dan Marino and Jim Kelley are just "above average" QB's?

I know nothing of the situation, but you cannnot compare coaches from two different generations, it is just not plausible.

I am sure both coaches have their pros and cons, but both have been in different situations with different players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point there. I have been saying all along that Gaither was a GREAT coach but I am trying to say that Gilliard has been just as good. Gilliard is only in his 4th season you can't judge because he hasn't won a title yet. Our players are very good but they in the last three years they haven't been good enough to just dominate double AA. The only teams that we have had that could do that were the 95 and 96 team, the 99 team and the 2003 team.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

no they are great quarterbacks but just never got the thing that truely validates their careers. A super bowl. Its just the greatest accomplishment and great leaders are measured by it. It usually only pertains to quarterbacks and coaches although some NBa players are scrutinized as well.. who ever hears of a O lineman not being great cause he didn't win a SB?

gaither started coaching at bluefield around '95, maybe '94 but if i'm correct '95, and started with 2 titles and a title game appearance against poca in '96, a game they were in but poca simply played better late in the game. The sectionals were harder then as mullins had some really good teams and oceana if i recall was aa, and those were good southern wv coalfield basketball teams.

99's team was ahead of tug valley by 12 if i recall after 2 quarters, but tug valley literally fouled their way to the title in the 4th quarter as bluefield couldn't make a free throw to save their lives and tug valley knew it. they had some good teams and at this point I wouldn't consider gilliard any lesser a coach, although didn't he sit 1 of bluefield's better players on the bench with 4 fowls in the 3rd and 4th quarter untill it really didn't make a difference in the title game? This season will be how to determine the caliber coach gilliard is in my opinion.

Guest JJBrickface

That's fair enough Buzzsaw. For some reason I thought Gaither started before then but I have no clue. But I wouldn't judge him based on this years either. We have to get through Wyoming East who is very good this year.