AA State Wrestling Tournament

BigRV

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-03-02-0050.html

Group AA wrestlers move on to Day 2

Friday, Mar 02, 2007 - 11:27 PM

BY LLOYD COMBS

Sports Correspondent

A day that started well did not end well for Grundy.

All eight Golden Wave wrestlers entered in the Group AA wrestling championships at Salem Civic Center won their first-round matches. Only two remain in the championship rounds.

Five area wrestlers are in today’s semifinals, including Grundy’s Jerami Bartley (160 pounds) and Jon Dotson (125).

Virginia High’s Brandon Castle (119) and Chase Owens (189) and Tazewell’s Eric McDaniel (171) are also in the semis, while a number of area wrestlers were involved in consolation action.

In the quarterfinals at 160, Bartley bounced back after losing his 7-5 lead at the third-period buzzer to Lord Botetourt’s Travis Franklin and earned a 9-7 win 12 seconds into overtime.

Dotson responded to match-tying move in the third period of his quarterfinal match by sticking William Byrd’s Brian Wood to the mat and pinning him at the 5:16 mark.

"Jerami answered the bell," Grundy coach Travis Fiser said. "He came to wrestle and so did Jon Dotson. We had some tough losses [in the quarterfinals]. We’ll try talk to these guys and keep them motivated [in the wrestle-backs]."

The Bearcats’ Chase Owens dominated Liberty-Bedford’s Roger Shepard and got the pin at 1:59 in a 189-pound quarterfinal match.

Castle fell behind Chancellor’s Chris Smith, 4-3, but took control early in the second period in the quarters at 119 pounds and never relinquished it. Castle, who pinned his first opponent, took a 14-7 decision over Smith.

"[smith] was extremely tall and it’s really tough for a short kid to wrestle a tall, lanky guy,"

Virginia High coach Ed Cressel said. "So I was really worried early.

"But Brandon scrambles real good, and he’s so quick and explosive he catches people in a scramble situation. And that’s how we got back points."

McDaniel’s quarterfinal win over Brookville’s Eric Laughlin was won one of the most exciting matches of day one at state. The Tazewell senior got a takedown call with one second remaining to win an 8-7 decision.

"I had to suck it up," McDaniel said. "I didn’t know if I had any wind left. I just had to fight through it. It was just good training from my coach.

He taught me to fight through adversity."

Eleven other local wrestlers won first round matches, but lost in the quarterfinals Friday evening, including Abingdon’s Devon Puriefoy, who was upset in the quarterfinals at 130 pounds, 3-2, by Grafton’s Justin Cooper.

The consolation rounds continued late Friday night.

Complete results were not available at press time.

Among those who advanced were Puriefoy, Marion’s Adam Freeman and Grundy’s Ethan Owens, Kaleb Smith, Josh McCowan and Josh Lee.

I heard that Richlands evan simmons won his first match against the number 2 ranked wrestler in the state. Anyone have any information about him?

bartley had a GWC career ending knee injury=(..and all grundy wrestlers are done wrestlin highest was Freshman Ethan Ownens at 3rd place ..Grundy is pretty much guarantueed to finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th great season

Dotson has to wrestle again, the worst he could do was 6th, and the same with bartley, by making it to the semis he guaranteed a top 6, yeah good tourny and season for them, if they could have won on of those semis I think they would have brought home a top 3, it hurt losing that one to poqoson

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-03-04-0024.html

BY LLOYD COMBS

SPORTS CORRESPONDENT

SALEM, Va. – Brandon Castle worked hard for years to get to the state finals.

Unfortunately for the Virginia High senior, his final match lasted just 83 seconds.

The only area wrestler to work his way into the finals, Castle placed second at 119 pounds in the Group AA state wrestling tournament Saturday night at Salem Civic Center.

Castle was one of 10 area athletes to place at state, a list that includes Grundy freshmen Ethan Owens and Tazewell senior Eric McDaniel, who earned third-place medals.

Christiansburg clinched its sixth straight AA team title early Saturday, and eight of the Blue Demons’ nine finalists won individual championships.

The other area place-winners included Abingdon’s Devon Puriefoy (4th at 130 pounds), the Bearcats’ Chase Owens (6th at 189) and five Grundy wrestlers:

Josh McCowan (4th at 152), Kaleb Smith (5th at 145), Jerami Bartley (6th at 160), Jon Dotson (6th at 125) and Josh Lee (8th at 189).

Brandon Castle won 147 matches, district and regional titles and two state medals with an aggressive style. He got his 41st win of the season by pinning Staunton River’s Will Epperly in 1:42 in Saturday morning’s semifinals.

Saturday night, Castle faced another wrestler who likes to attack, and Andrew Williams got the upper hand early.

The Tabb sophomore won his second straight state championship by taking Castle to the mat midway through the opening period. Williams, who has been ranked nationally all year at 119, pinned Castle in a minute, 23 seconds.

"My philosophy has always been to go wide open," Castle said. "I wanted to try to catch [Williams]. He just caught me first."

After watching all the hard work building up to the state finals, it was difficult for Virginia High coach Ed Cressel to watch his talented senior go down so quickly at the end.

"Brandon worked his whole life to get to this point," Cressel said. "I wanted to see him go hard for six minutes. It’s unfortunate that it ended that way. Everybody knows he’s a tough wrestler. But I’ve seen a lot of tough wrestlers and I’ve been around long enough to know that sometimes you just get caught."

Tazewell senior Eric McDaniel bounced back from a semifinal loss to claim third at 171 pounds by pinning Lafayette’s Shawn Sweeny in 1:54 in the consolation finals.

Owens wrestled back from a quarterfinal loss to take third place in the 119-pound weight class.

"Ethan Owens did a good job," Grundy coach Travis Fiser said. "His first time down here and he loses one match to a defending state champ, and he wrestled him well."

Owens lost a 12-7 decision Friday night to Andrew Williams. He won three straight matches Saturday, winning close decisions in his final two bouts.

"I know most freshmen don’t get third, but I wanted to do better," Owens said. "I’ll use this as motivation to come back stronger next year."

Grundy earned a fourth-place finish after finishing 15th last year.

Christiansburg’s Cody Gardner, who will wrestle for former Grundy and Blue Demons coach Kevin Dresser next year at Virginia Tech, won his fourth state title.

The point was for being improperly equiped. Like if you went on the mat without a headgear. I thought this was a very petty call by the ref. Simmons came back to the middle with the mouthpiece in his hand, put his foot on the line, the ref blew the whistle, he showed the ref he had not put the mouthpiece in, then the ref hit him for a point. I felt like the ref should of waited until he put his mouthpiece in before he started the action. This was the Quarter finals. It should of been decided by the wrestlers, not the ref.

• 1 month later...