Work has started at Mitchell Stadium (picture and design details inside)

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_162232040.html?keyword=topstory

Dirt churned at Mitchell Stadium

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  The transition from natural turf to artificial turf has officially begun at Mitchell Stadium. Crews began installation work Monday to bring a new playing surface to the city’s old football venue.

“We have gotten all utilities cut off and from a city point of view, we’re ready for them to start excavation,†Bluefield board of directors member Ron Crabtree said. “They have committed that they would be in this week to start excavation.â€Â

That excavation began as dirt was piled up at the stadium field. It was the first step in the installation of the artificial surface known as FieldTurf, or as Crabtree put it, “the rug.â€Â

“They have to take out eight inches worth of soil and come back in with the base material for the rug,†Crabtree said. “But that’s the beginning of it all, is just excavating the existing ground and then coming back in with the underlaying support for the artificial turf.â€Â

Crabtree said that the deadline for the project is the first week of August.

“That gives us plenty of time to get geared up and ready for ... the last Friday of August when school starts and Graham and Beaver play their first game,†Crabtree said.

The new field will represent the city. Crabtree stated that the 50-yard line will feature an outline of the state of West Virginia with a white star at Bluefield’s location. He also said that the word “Bluefield†would occupy each of the end zones.

FieldTurf will not be the only change coming to Mitchell Stadium.

“We’re going to be putting in a new fence around the perimeter of the field itself to replace the old rusty fence that was there before,†Crabtree said.

He said the fence will be “plastic coated to resist the rusting that went on with the old chain-link fence. It will be a dark blue color to match some of the areas that are going to be blue on the field.â€Â

For Crabtree, the installation of a new playing surface at Mitchell Stadium is a goal he has strived to achieve for a long time. He takes a great amount of pride in the accomplishment as well as what it will mean for the athletes playing on it.

“When I first came here and was city manager, that was one of the things I really wanted to get something done to, Mitchell Stadium,†Crabtree said.

“We’re moving forward. It’s going to be a very nice, very state-of-the-art, very professional job and I think it’s going to be very much encouraging to the kids that come over and play on that quality of field.â€Â

 Contact Jed Lockett

at jlockett@bdtonline.com

[ QUOTE ]

There only putting West Virginia then a white star to represent Bluefield? when i was at the rec, they were talking about having West virginia and virginia

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Virginia outline might have gotten axed b/c Bluefield intends on bidding on the Super Six once all the upgrades are complete and the next bidding cycle comes around. Although, everyone knows that the Super Six isn't leaving Wheeling anytime soon...

[ QUOTE ]

So in other words. This stadium now looks completley looks like its only home to the bluefield beavers. I mean, basically maroon,white and blue endzone art. and a white star on bluefield WV..

[/ QUOTE ]

The stadium's turf will look as if it's property of the City of Bluefield, which it should since they own it...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So in other words. This stadium now looks completley looks like its only home to the bluefield beavers. I mean, basically maroon,white and blue endzone art. and a white star on bluefield WV..

[/ QUOTE ]

The stadium's turf will look as if it's property of the City of Bluefield, which it should since they own it...

[/ QUOTE ]i agree 100% rules.but i think that since the Graham G-Men and the Bluefield Beavers have called this field and stadium home for so many years that something should be visibly present to represent each school dont you?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i agree 100% rules.but i think that since the Graham G-Men and the Bluefield Beavers have called this field and stadium home for so many years that something should be visibly present to represent each school dont you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and there might something to represent each school. Regardless though, I'm not going to complain b/c we've got the turf so many us have hoped for and wanted for so long. I honestly don't care what it says on the field. I'm simply thankful for the turf and the fact that Ms. Shott decided it was a worthy cause...

Personally, I'm in favor of putting up small bill-boards on the scoreboard end of the field with the state title owned by both schools and room to add more in the future.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd like that, so on one side have Bluefield Beavers 8-time state champions then list the years that they won it. Then the same on the other side

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it shouldn't say 8-time state champions because that would have to be redone when #9 is won. It should say:

Bluefield Beavers

WV State Champions

AAA: 1959, 1962, 1965, 1967, 1975, 1984

AA: 1997, 2004

Graham G-Men

VA State Champions

AA: 1962(?), 1989, 1995

I don't think Bluefield, WV residents will be taxed more to pay for the fence. I mean, Tazewell County residents will probably be paying for it so that Graham can play their games there. How much does the Tazewell County School Board shell out of their budget to pay for this? Couldn't that money be put to better use?

"How much does the Tazewell County School Board shell out of their budget to pay for this?"

were the heck have you been the last three months? All of this is being DONATED by a BLFD WV resident, all the "shell" out is rent. If they dont like go play in the pasture somewere

[ QUOTE ]

How much does the Tazewell County School Board shell out of their budget to pay for this? Couldn't that money be put to better use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, like for new lighting and a new fieldhouse in Richlands...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How much does the Tazewell County School Board shell out of their budget to pay for this? Couldn't that money be put to better use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha yeah we will take what we can get!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldve spent that money putting a new heating system for Graham high school in.i think that shouldve been at the top of the list.imagine the shoe on the other foot.we have a boiler ready to blow up any time and richlands is getting lights and a field house.go figure that one out.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldve spent that money putting a new heating system for Graham high school in.i think that shouldve been at the top of the list.imagine the shoe on the other foot.we have a boiler ready to blow up any time and richlands is getting lights and a field house.go figure that one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funding to replace the heating system at Graham was approved at the same time as the field house. Both address serious safety concerns. The old lights at RHS were probably the worst in the state. RHS generates more revenue from football than any school in the county and deserve better facilities than they've had.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess Graham needs to win a state championship... lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess when Richlands wins one more they'll have the same number of State Championships as Graham...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I guess Graham needs to win a state championship... lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess when Richlands wins one more they'll have the same number of State Championships as Graham...

[/ QUOTE ]

man i just want one of those big inflatable helmets

[ QUOTE ]

The old lights at RHS were probably the worst in the state. RHS generates more revenue from football than any school in the county and deserve better facilities than they've had.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've said in the past about the lights...send the old ones to Graham HS to replace the ones that have been there since the early 70s...

And, not to beat a dead horse or anything like that, but how about putting some cash into improving the visitors seating.

No school "deserves" better than any other school in the county (not counting that money pit in Pocahontas which should have been closed years ago). All county taxpayer money is "equal" and should be spent that way amongst the schools...

Big D said that Richlands deserve better than they have. Not better than everyone in the county. I think the money for the lights was already set aside by RHS. I believe all county schools deserve an equal share. I wish Graham had separate facilities of their own. They deserve that. The problem is not favortism towards one school or another. The problem is money--or lack of it. And money management--or lack of it.