happening today in Bluefield ...

VHSLhelper

It's the Pocahontas Coal Champions Classic at Mitchell Stadium. Action got underway at 1:00 without the

Martinsville Bulldogs, who had Saturday circled on their calendar.

So far, a couple of Region 4 teams have played WV's defending AA champ, Wayne.

Graham got the first shot, and it looked like the goose eggs would never come of the board, but Tyler Barreras hit paydirt from 13 yards out with under a minute left to give the G-Men a 6-0 win.

Next up for the Pioneers were the defending Div. 3 state champs, Richlands. The Blues came out firing as Austin Fuller had a 23 yard TD pass in the 1st quarter and a 9 yard run in the 2nd to go up 14-0. But Wayne came back, as Joey Ferguson & Jeremy Maynard connected for TD passes of 28 & 48 yards in just over 3 minutes to pull Wayne back within striking distance. Tne Pioneers failed on a 2 pt. conversion attempt following the first score, but Ferguson's screen to Justin Gilkerson tied it up with 1:41 left.

The Blues would put together a short drive on their final possession, but an intentional grounding call pushed them back to the 40 with just a few ticks remaining. Romalo Fajardo's 50 yard FG attempt fell just short, so both of the defending state champions walked away without a win.

In earlier action, George Wythe of Wytheville beat Mount View 21-6 and lost to Bluefield 14-7.

very proud of the G-Men today we won both games against strong wv teams.wayne the defending AA champion and martinsburg the AAA runner up.we have a good QB in david marrs.and you just cant say enough about tyler barreras what a tank he is.our line is tough and j.brewster and ronnie scott are a very tough combo in the backfield.good luck G-MEN

G-MEN 6 WAYNE 0

G-MEN 14 MARTINSBURG 7

and again this is just like practice, it doesn't mean anything.. when i played for Tazewell when we played in the grid o rama we would win both games by big numbers and then not a win a game all season. So you cant judge a team by what they did today, dont get me wrong gratz to all the VA teams.

[ QUOTE ]

and again this is just like practice, it doesn't mean anything.. when i played for Tazewell when we played in the grid o rama we would win both games by big numbers and then not a win a game all season. So you cant judge a team by what they did today, dont get me wrong gratz to all the VA teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that. I've seen several teams scrimmage and predict there season records with pretty good success in the past. After the way James Monroe played today, hopefully you can prove me wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

Action got underway at 1:00 without the

Martinsville Bulldogs, who had Saturday circled on their calendar.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like someone at Martinsville failed to do their homework. I hope they do better during the regular season.

Richlands & Martinsburg wrapped up the action and played 16 minutes before either team got a 1st down. A couple of plays later, Joel Elswick threw a 34 yarder to Austin Fuller, who made a leaping catch before going 10 more yards to the house with 6:55 to go. Khevin Schweingruber added a 5 yard run to give the Blues a 13-0 win.

The Dogs were limited to just two 1st downs with -1 total yards rushing, 4 of 18 for 33 yards passing; Richlands finished with -14, but had about 150 yards passing.

Earlier this evening, Martinsburg beat Bluefield 3-0.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say Graham is "OK". Saw something much better than I expected, and Lane was out by the time I got there. Marrs was very sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah david marrs made some good decisions yesterday for such a young QB.I was impressed.