quick Beaver / Graham questions

total

I'm not starting anything here... just trying to get some facts so that I can educate some people here at work.

I've been trying to search for these answers, but

1) what was it that espn had the Beaver/Graham ranked at??? was it 7 or 9 or something like that... anyone have that link?

2) what is the all time series record?

thank you

cant answer the espn question.but the record is

Bluefield 58 wins

Graham 20 wins

ties 2

thats what i could come up with.i think this is right.now most of the bluefield wins were when they were AAA and had 3 times the enrollment as Graham.now since 1990 when the enrollment has gotten more closer to Grahams size this is what the record looks like,

Bluefield 10 wins

Graham 7 wins

and Graham has outscored bluefield 301-289(i hope my math is close lol) in those 17 years.so its getting more competetive every year.

thank you ghs - off of the top of my head, I was thinking that it was 58-22... I forgot about those ties.

and yes, it has been much more competitive since 1990... and I'm actually glad for that. when someone asks me about who is going to win - every year, I always say... I just want a good game. it's much more fun that way, even when we do come out with a L

[ QUOTE ]

It really helps when 10% of the population in the WV side has resided in the VA side over the last 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good, and interesting point. I haven't really lived in Bluefield since the late 1980s, as when I graduated college, I lived in Charleston WV, then Christiansburg VA, and now metro Atlanta for the past 4.5 years....but my question is this:

Why is the Virginia side gaining population (or staying steady), while the WV side is losing a LOT of population? Is it taxes? Cheaper housing? School system?

I know that the bottom has dropped out of the Bluefield WV population. It was something like 17,000+ in 1980, and I guess it's down to 11,450 or so now, right? What's causing this, in your opinion?

Found this in the archives of an old SWVAFOOTBALL.com poast

Sporting News/Student Sports High School Football Magazine. I found this magazine at Peoples News.

It says the following about the rivalry:

Like the #9 game between Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas, the Bluefield vs Graham is a meeting between schools in the same city but different states. Bluefield is the only public school in Bluefield, WV. and Graham is the lone public high school in Bluefield, Va. These competitive teams kickoff the season against each other. The game also serves as a cross reference on the competion between the two states, since there are few WV vs Va. high school matchups. Bluefield, once a large school state power, has dominated the matchup. Bluefield teams posted a record of 87-6-1 with 5 undefeated seasons between 1959-68. Bluefield has won 7 state titles. The most recent in 1997. Graham was rated as high as #20 among all schools in Va. last year. A 21-14 season-opening win over Bluefield helped Graham climb in the Va. rankings.

Top 11 Rivalries in the nation:

#11 Cincinnati Elder, Ohio vs Cincinnati St. Xavier, Ohio

#10 Northside Warner Robbins, Ga. vs Warner Robbins, Ga.

#9 Texarkana Ark. vs Texas High from Texarkana,Texas

#8 Graham vs Bluefield

#7 Bergen Catholic, Oradell, NJ vs St. Joseph, Montvale, NJ

#6 Nothwestern, Miami, Fla. vs Jackson, Miami, Fla.

#5 Midland Lee, Midland Texas vs Permian, Odessa, Texas

The book "Friday Night Lights" is based on Permian

Football

#4 Garfield, Los Angeles Calif. vs Roosevelt, Los Angles, Calif.

#3 Jenk, Okla. vs Union, Okla.

#2 Canton McKinley, Canton, Ohio vs Massillon Washington, Massillon, Ohio

Massillon is the 2nd winnest high school in the nation. This rivaly is played at the NFL Football High of Stadium in Canton every other year. Massillon is best know for its former coach, Paul Brown, the founder of the NFL Browns and Bengals.

#1 Trinity, Louisville, Ky. vs St. Xavier, Louisville, Ky.

[ QUOTE ]

Taxes for one. Business climate for two. No land for development for three.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a Bluefield City Government that won't do anything about it...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Taxes for one. Business climate for two. No land for development for three.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a Bluefield City Government that won't do anything about it... four!