Graham vs Christiansburg

ghs84

this could be a good game and with the lack of Graham not having much speed it could be another long night for the G-Men.i dont know much about what c-burg returns or what they had last year,so if anyone can tell us anything about what is expected of this team this year we would like some info please.

Christiansburg returns six starters on offense and seven on defense from a 7-5 team a year ago. They lost their leading rusher, Nick Thompson. From what I understand C'burg wants to become a more balanced team offensively, but their returning QB struggled with passing the football last season. If Graham can keep from turning the ball over I look for the G-Men to win this one. C'burg doesn't have the overall speed of Bluefield, especially at the skill positions, and as such Graham should find its offensive groove..

i think Graham will get better offensively with each game,but its hard to coach speed.and Graham just doesnt have much this year.Graham needs to sustain long drives and chew up the clock as much as possible.sounds like c-burg could have another good team this year.

[ QUOTE ]

i think Graham will get better offensively with each game,but its hard to coach speed.and Graham just doesnt have much this year.Graham needs to sustain long drives and chew up the clock as much as possible.sounds like c-burg could have another good team this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda of hard to chew up the clock when you can't hold onto the ball.

If Graham starts to throw the ball more instead of running it up the middle every play I can maybe see them win this one, but if they just constantly run they won't win.

fumbles are something that happens to every team at one point or the other.i think Grahams had theirs for the year.i hope lol i remember in 2005 when salem won state against powhatan they fumbled their first 3 or 4 possesions it was. i think both teams couldnt hold on to the ball that day.

i dont know about graham, but bluefield most definately coaches speed. and thats why our linemen run (in order from miller to stone) 5.1, 5.0, 5.4, 5.0, and 4.7 forty times. might i add the first to weigh 265 and 235 lbs! how bout you send some of those g-women over to the blu and have them hop on the vertimax, do some wall drills, march arch-angled with the block and hammer, and learn to breathe while running and see their forty times go down. call me a liar? before you do, double check the amount of people that say bluefield is alwasy quick and fast. im sorry, you just dont get born quick as john payne, at least 22 starters dont. its taught, and learned. Fred Simon is the king of details, and his football teams are his best works of art.

[ QUOTE ]

i dont know about graham, but bluefield most definately coaches speed. and thats why our linemen run (in order from miller to stone) 5.1, 5.0, 5.4, 5.0, and 4.7 forty times. might i add the first to weigh 265 and 235 lbs! how bout you send some of those g-women over to the blu and have them hop on the vertimax, do some wall drills, march arch-angled with the block and hammer, and learn to breathe while running and see their forty times go down. call me a liar? before you do, double check the amount of people that say bluefield is alwasy quick and fast. im sorry, you just dont get born quick as john payne, at least 22 starters dont. its taught, and learned. Fred Simon is the king of details, and his football teams are his best works of art.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't teach speed, but you can improve someones overall quickness.

NRV Football Preview: Christiansburg Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NRV Football Preview: Christiansburg

By Jason Pounds

CHRISTIANSBURG - The Christiansburg Blue Demons don’t need hype. They don’t need predictions. All they need to be happy is a football field under the Friday night lights, eleven opposing players and a pigskin.

When the discussion turns to River Ridge District football in 2007, a few teams immediately come to mind.

Salem is, well, Salem. The Spartans have dominated district play over the last half decade.

Blacksburg is another attractive topic of conversation in the River Ridge. The Bruins have 30 seniors and are loaded with talent.

Hidden Valley has a new quarterback and returns a host of players from last year’s Region III Division 3 championship team.

You would think after reaching the playoffs each of the last four seasons, Christiansburg might get some love when predictions are being tossed around. Nope. But, go ahead and overlook the Demons – they like it that way.

“Most predictions are based on what happened last year. Maybe if we would have won that last game against Hidden Valley in the playoffs people may have been talking about us, but we’re really not concerned with predictions, honestly,†said Christiansburg head coach Tim Cromer, who has led the Demons to a 29-27 record in his five seasons on the sideline of his alma mater.

“We’re concerned with going one week at a time. I don’t know if it really matters. Predictions just don’t mean anything to me. I think we are going to be competitive and I think everyone expects us to be competitive. If I was going to make a prediction, the district is Salem’s until someone proves otherwise, that’s the way I look at it.â€Â

True, the Spartans are the four-time defending district champion and have rolled up a 19-1 record against the RRD in that time but, ask anyone, the River Ridge is up for grabs in 2007.

If Christiansburg is going to make a run at a district title this season, they certainly have the offensive firepower to do it. Quite frankly, the Demons are loaded at the skill positions.

Senior quarterback Wes Bond (5-foot-11, 170 pounds, Sr.) is back under center for CHS and the experienced signal caller has plenty of weapons at his disposal this year. Senior halfback Zac Evans (5-11, 186, Sr.), who averaged 9.3 yards per carry in 2006, is back to tote the rock in this his final year. Joining Evans in the backfield is junior fullback Keith Johnson (6-0, 188, Jr.). Johnson played halfback a year ago but will fill the role of the departed Nick Thompson in ’07.

Another player switching position for Christiansburg is junior big-play man Sidney Brown (6-0, 176, Jr.). Brown played wide receiver last year but will move to halfback this season to better utilize his game-breaking explosiveness.

The Demons won’t lose home run potential in the passing game with Brown moving to the backfield. Senior wide out Patrick Asconi (6-4, 180, Sr.) is a big target for Bond and displayed his ability with an acrobatic diving catch during a recent scrimmage with Appomattox County.

The only question mark on offense is the O-line, where senior Trey Dillon (5-11, 283, Sr.) is the only returning starter.

“A big key for us is the development of our offensive line,†said Cromer, who led the Demons to a 7-5 overall record and a perfect 6-0 mark at home a season ago. “Every year here we’re trying to field an offensive line so that’s nothing new for us.â€Â

Look for Brent Bostwick (6-1, 209, Jr.), Aaron Linkenhoker (6-2, 197, So.), Randy Winnans (5-11, 231, Sr.) and Kevin Meredith (6-0, 238, So.) to fill in the holes along the offensive line.

Scoring points won’t be a problem for Christiansburg. But if the Demons want to become an elite team in their new home in Region IV Division 4 football, the play of the defense will be a determining factor.

The Blue Demons return seven starters who saw action in 2006, along with senior linebacker Miles Ailstock (5-9, 217, Sr.) who missed all of last season after tearing his ACL during the second day of practice.

“We have to get better on defense because of the move to Division 4,†explained Cromer. “I think that’s the area we have to get better in. We’ve done a pretty good job scoring points and we haven’t played bad defense at times, but I think we need to improve overall defensively.â€Â

Christiansburg has the pieces in place to be a solid defensive unit with a bona fide star at each level.

Sophomore nose guard Dante Hayden (5-10, 244, So.) anchors the defensive line for CHS while fellow sophomore Zack Weller (6-0, 195, So.) returns from an eye-opening freshman season that saw him record 221 tackles in 12 games.

Brown, who probably excels more on defense than offense, leads the secondary and intercepted nine passes a year ago.

Bostwick, Evans, Ethan Dickerson (6-0, 176, Jr.) and Asconi also return as starters from last year’s defensive unit.

As mentioned before, the Blue Demons are now a member of Region IV Division 4, meaning they will be battling for playoff spots with teams from the Piedmont and Southwest Districts.

“I like it being an old Christiansburg guy when we were in Region IV. I like playing those teams and that’s why we scheduled like we did,†said Cromer of his team picking up Region IV opponents Graham and Bassett in 2007. “We want to affect our region as far as the playoffs are concerned. I kind of feel like Region IV is home for Christiansburg.â€Â

The postseason has also become familiar territory for the Demons and the road back to the playoffs runs through the River Ridge District.

“The state champion has come out of our district two of the last three years,†Cromer said. “That’s the level of football being played here. We take it as a challenge.â€Â

Christiansburg will open the 2007 season this Friday when the Blue Demons will travel to Bluefield to face the Graham G-Men.

I live pretty close to Christiansburg and have gotten to see them play the past few seasons...and they are definitely not the "whipping boy" that Graham used to beat up on year in and year out. They will definitely present a challenge for Graham...If anything, I would say Graham would be the underdog in this game. Graham's lack of speed is a HUGE concern against Christiansburg.

im not going to say we will win or lose but i bet Graham plays the same type of football we all seen during the grid o rama.and if they can do that and play hard all season then we will have a good season.