Giles over Blacksburg 46-43 in OT#6 -- comeback stunner!!

gomavs

After being down 23-0 at halftime, Giles came alive and when regulation time was over, it was tied 23-23. And then came an unbelieveable six overtimes before a winner was finally decided. Unbelieveable!! Congrats to both Giles and Blacksburg. How can you really say anyone lost this one?!! Great game to listen to.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you have a kicker that can drill a 54-yarder with the game on the line you deserve to win...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the 47 yarder the kid kicked to send it to another overtime (about #3 or #4)...

[ QUOTE ]

After being down 23-0 at halftime, Giles came alive and when regulation time was over, it was tied 23-23. And then came an unbelieveable six overtimes before a winner was finally decided. Unbelieveable!! Congrats to both Giles and Blacksburg. How can you really say anyone lost this

one?!! Great game to listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game will be "talked" about for many years to come!!!

Thanks for doing "your thing" mav ......it wasn't the same as being there but your "take" on it was great.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you have a kicker that can drill a 54-yarder with the game on the line you deserve to win...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to wonder, is that a national record for high school?

I'm sure someone has that info. If it isn't, I'd like to know how close it was.

Big win for Giles, coming back from 23 down and winning after 6 OTs says alot about the team attitude, not to mention the conditioning program.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the 47 yarder the kid kicked to send it to another overtime (about #3 or #4)...

[/ QUOTE ]

What? That kid's nickname should be "The Leg." Frank Beamer had better get his behind down to Giles High School and land that kid. What year is he?

Cody Journell is a junior. He also did well at wingback, and as a DB in the secondary. An all around athlete. The heart that this team has really showed in this game. Blacksburg was striking early and often. Their speed was awsome. They were playing great defense, and were as good as advertised. I dont know what Ragsdale did, but after halftime, we found a few weaknesses, and tweaked some blocking schemes, and pounded the football. Our offense was only slowed down once in the second half, and that was self inflicted. Our backfield is hard to contain with several backs with big play capability. We will be a little more versitile this year. Our defense did well after they settled down. Its a shame someone had to lose this game. A real classic. Blacksburg has the team this year. They could win the title if they contiue to improve. This game with us only makes them better. They have a great coaching staff. We will be routing for you the rest of the year.

WDBJ7 has video highlights from the 2nd half, including the 54-yard kick (below is the link):

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=7010578

As I was listening to this game last night, my thoughts in this order were 1) at 23-0 they are going to lose bad, 2) at 23-6 well, at least it won't be a shutout now, 3) at 23-13 I thought there was hope, 4) at 23-20 it was like no way, 5) 23-23 was I can't believe they did it! And then came OT#1, OT#2, OT#3, OT#4, OT#5, and OT#6 and after each one my thought was "unbelieveable". Again, I have to say, congrats to both. By all accounts, it did appear to be over for Giles at halftime. Giles could've just as easily come out at halftime resigned to lose, but they didn't. This should serve as a lesson learned for all that if you keep your heart in it and stay focused, it ain't over 'til it's over. It's not the score at halftime that decides the outcome, it's the score at the end. If Giles stay healthy, I look for them to make many an opponent unhappy this year.

[ QUOTE ]

Not even a state record Mav. The state record is 58 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I saw on the tape, it probably would've been good from about 60. It'll be interesting to see if we see more of those from that kid later on.

i saw Giles and PV last year and if that's the same kicker my Dad and i were discussing the same thing. He didn't kick anything but kickoffs, and the field was somewhat muddy and he was booming them. I said, "Beamer better lock his butt up!" The Giles fans around me were upset he didn't get some of the kicks into the end zone, the first almost went through the uprights. I blame it on the muddy field.