Clintwood, Castlewood, & Coeburn granted move down?

shanefive

I just heard that Clintwood, Castlewood, & Coeburn where granted there wish to move to the lower division. Anyone else heard this?

If so it maybe tougher to make the lower division playoffs than the upper division? If Burton and Haysi win there LPD & BDD crowns (which we will know a little more this week) then that means only 1 automatic bid for the upper division Region D playoffs the other 3 spots would be based on points? Whoever wins the Cumberland, if Burton wins LPD,and if Haysi wins the BDD that leaves only 1 spot for the lower divisions?

There are some huge games in the Region D this week with this being not even half way through the season:

Burton @ P.Valley, Honaker @ Haysi, Clintwood @ Lebanon,

Rye Cove @ Castlewood, Gate City @ Appalachia, &

VA High @ Chilhowie to name a few.

It's looking like everyweek is a big week in the Region D from here on out if you want to make the playoffs!

How could they be "granted" permission...it's strictly cut off in the middle by enrollment...top half are division 2...bottom half are division 1...If the VHSL allowed them to do this, then the VHSL is full of crap and why should we abide by any of the limitations they set?

It's from the "Rye Cove Rule" that was put into place a few years ago due to the disparity between enrollment within Region D's schools.

The best thing that could happen, which we know won't, would be to have classification done statewide - not based on regions - to make it an even playing field (at least in terms of enrollment).

If you think that Coeburn, Castlewood or Clintwood is gaining some advantage over other regions within the state by doing this, here are their enrollment figures:

Castlewood - 308

Clintwood - 329

Coeburn - 396

There are 35 Division 1 schools within the rest of the state, excluding those in Region D. If any of those three were located elsewhere in the state, this is where they would fall within enrollment:

Coeburn - 16th (out of 36, the 35 from Regions A,B & C including themselves)

Clintwood - 20th

Castlewood - 23rd

Castlewood actually has mainly been a Division 1 school since the class split took place, bouncing back and forth between Div. 1 & Div. 2.

I hardly think that this ruling is going to stack the deck in their favor.

According to those figures...they would fit in well in Division 3!!! in the SWD, with Graham, Grundy and Tazewell...that's total B.S. VHSL needs to get their act together and make a new classification system and stick with it..quit letting people slide up and down!!!

[ QUOTE ]

According to those figures...they would fit in well in Division 3!!! in the SWD, with Graham, Grundy and Tazewell...that's total B.S. VHSL needs to get their act together and make a new classification system and stick with it..quit letting people slide up and down!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those 3 schools could be heading down the next time they have a chance? It would be up to them, right now the only reason they are AA is because they choose to be.

I agree with them going to a classification system, but they need to do it statewide, not just based on region alone.

Graham (560), Grundy (483) and Tazewell (615) very well may be in the Single A classification in a few years, but as Single A Division 2.

From the VHSL website:

• Approved requests from Castlewood, Clintwood and Coeburn High Schools to be assigned to Division 1 in football for the 2007 and 2008 schools years based on their enrollment being at least 50% smaller than the largest school in Region D (Handbook Section 68-8-3 (4))

I do think that all three schools deserved the Division 1 classification they received though. With Lee High with an enrollment of nearly 800 (given Single A status based on travel hardship) and Virginia High with 700 - then yes, I can't understand why you would have a Castlewood with an enrollment of 308 kids 9-12 being put in that same division.

I said this when i heard the appeals where being talked about. Now their reality and come playoff time some will find themselves sitting at home and not understanding why. Why they had to win the games they didn't.

The G-Men, Golden Wave,and Bulldogs have stayed above the A level longer than I thought they would. Been up and down with every sport too. I do admire them for playing up though. I know it was hard on Tazwell last year they did not even have a JV BBall team from what I had heard.

Anyway there needs to be a statewide reclassification done and it needs to take place with input from everyone not just those in Richmond or Roanoke.

[ QUOTE ]

The G-Men, Golden Wave,and Bulldogs have stayed above the A level longer than I thought they would. Been up and down with every sport too. I do admire them for playing up though. I know it was hard on Tazwell last year they did not even have a JV BBall team from what I had heard.

Anyway there needs to be a statewide reclassification done and it needs to take place with input from everyone not just those in Richmond or Roanoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The start of the 2009 season you will see these 3 teams in single A. Numbers are going down in Richlands as well. They have already said when Tazewell and Graham drop they are going to be right there behind them.