Beavers start season 4-0

Bogeavers

The last time the Bluefield Beavers started a season 4-0, they went on to go undefeated and win a state title. I am not jumping out and saying that now, but the Beavers were victorious tonight against the Oak Hill Red Devils. They used great defense and a mix-it-up offense to defeat the homestanding Devils by a final of 40-14. Ansel Ponder recorded 2 TD catches and had another but it was taken away on a very "questionable" call by the refs. He also made an amazing catch-and-run screen play where he used shear speed to blow through a few tackles and gain a first down. Shaun Brooks was big running the ball again, scoring two TD runs and Aaron Bowes broke off several long runs including a 60 yard rumble to get the Beavers out of the shadow of their own goalposts. Cody Wassum caught several passes including an electrifying catch and run in the 2nd quarter after he got popped as he caught the ball. Chase Joyner and Marcus Patterson caught a few screen passes and whenever either of them get the ball it is exciting. Will Cole played a pretty good game. He had a few missed passes and stuff but overall he managed the game well. Also had a nice run for a first down on a broken play. Deak Kersey was able to run down the Oak Hill quarterback in the 4th quarter for a safety to give the Beavers a 33-7 lead in the 4th quarter. Eric McClanahan came in at QB and played well while he was in the game. He broke a few tackles on a busted play and rumbled down the right side of the field and stretched the ball over the pylon...but again the TD was taken away with

another "questionable" call. Asher Sexton was a perfect 5-5 on extra points and added a 36 yard field goal in the 3rd quarter. The Beavers played a good game tonight, but still left some points on the board. If our defense keeps playing good, we might can afford to not get those points against some of the weaker teams, but when playoff time rolls around we are going to have to capatilize. Looking forward to the next game and the many others to come. Keep up the hard work guys and you will go a long way into the playoffs.

brooks wassum and lilly had great games at linebackers as well. mcclannahan did a great job on his outside containment, and the beaver defense was once again an obstacle that their opponent just couldn't overcome.

early in the game, oak hill's running back barreled a couple of hard runs down the middle, ducking his head each time. after the 2nd, the entire bluefield defense smacked him on his head saying to keep his head up or he's going to get hurt. this sportsmanship was noted later on by the officials, and after the game the captains were complemented on one of the nicest, hard hitting games they had called. this says something about a team...

I think if Bluefield and James Monroe keep playing the way they are, that game at the end of October may very well be a preview of the state final.

Seems like we say that every year, but with both teams blowing everyone away, whoever wins that one will probably be ranked #1, and the loser 2nd or 3rd, provided that's there only loss of the season, putting both on a collision course for Wheeling. That a long way off, but in no way wishfull thinking, as long as JM gets there first semifinal win wink.gif

And everyone in Monroe County knows, that beating Bluefield for the title would just be the icing on the cake.

not trying to start anything here MavsRock..but just about every year JM goes in undefeated to this game and get their butts handed to them...and from what i can tell its all about the weak scheduling..i dont know anything about this years schedule for you guys...but i hope it prepares you better for the type of game you will have with Bluefield...which is very fast paced and everything coming at you at once...

You are partially correct. Did you mean the best that the bluefields had to offer. No offense meant. I don't agree with our scheduling however the first three AA or AAA games B has played this year will be lucky if combined their records equal 5-25.

I won't dissagree with that. But our talented players have been kiddnapped by an inexperienced head coach during critical games, loosing when they were the best team on the field. He will hopefully learn from his misstakes.

[ QUOTE ]

I think what he was saying is that the Mavericks are the Colts of the WV AA football. well up until this past year anyways. They played excellent the whole season then come playoff time they screwed the pooch

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically I've been a Colts fan almost as long as I've been a James Monroe fan, same goes for WVU. Post-season's went the same for all 3 in the past traditionally, right? Here's how its been going lately

WVU:

2005 Sugar Bowl Champ

2006 Gator Bowl Champ

Colts:

2006 Super Bowl Champ

Mavericks:

2007 State Champ???

Who knows, we've been close for years, these have been the results of our 5 undefeated seasons:

1998 semis DuPont 20 JM 14

1999 semis Wyoming East 31 JM 24

2002 quarterfinal Bluefield 3 JM 0

2005 semis Bluefield 24 JM 14

2006 semis Tolsia 7 JM 6

I wouldn't consider any of those a blowout. I've said before that we'll have a very hard time going 10-0 this year, as our schedule for the second half of the year's as tough as anyone's. James Monroe, Bluefield, Wayne and Keyser IMO are the 4 top runners in the state, Wyoming East, Mt. View, Liberty ®, Scott, Berkley Springs, Tolsia and Grafton are teams that probably won't win the title, but are good enough to end someone's year early in the playoffs.

James Monroe just needs to worry about getting in the playoffs, and once there, not change what got them there. The coaches panicked and started trying to throw the ball all over the place in the last 2 playoff losses, and we lost the game in the 4th quarter with drive-ending interceptions. God-willing, he'll bless them with wisdom, and we'll get over the hump and bring the big trophy home this year.

The Mavericks are doing their best to improve the strength of schedule but it takes time. They've taken good steps recently with the addition of teams such as Scott. It'd be great if they could get Princeton back on the schedule or another AAA team.

If the truth is out there and anyone knows it then tell it. P says we dropped them and JM says they dropped us. 1 minus 1 isn't 1 Strength of schedule is a good thing. Better to love and loose than never to love at all.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say the two teams no longer playing is a result of Princeton joining the MSAC more than anything else. They're only allowed 2 non-conference games if I'm not mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought, beginning this year, the MSAC schools had only one open date for non-MSAC opponents...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Were the only "non" MSAC

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes i wish we were in it...

[ QUOTE ]

I think if Bluefield and James Monroe keep playing the way they are, that game at the end of October may very well be a preview of the state final.

Seems like we say that every year, but with both teams blowing everyone away, whoever wins that one will probably be ranked #1, and the loser 2nd or 3rd, provided that's there only loss of the season, putting both on a collision course for Wheeling. That a long way off, but in no way wishfull thinking, as long as JM gets there first semifinal win wink.gif

And everyone in Monroe County knows, that beating Bluefield for the title would just be the icing on the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]I promise you BLUEFIELD WILL blow James Monroe away when they play not even a decent game

we don't need no confrence like the msac cause if we did it would be all sorry teams and we couldn't go out and play the decent ones to get us ready ...Monroe should look more outside of west v to strengthen schd. ppl like graham richlands and finaly play giles in regular season not preseason

QUOTE:

I promise you BLUEFIELD WILL blow James Monroe away when they play not even a decent game

I wish I was as smart as some people...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

we don't need no confrence like the msac cause if we did it would be all sorry teams and we couldn't go out and play the decent ones to get us ready ...Monroe should look more outside of west v to strengthen schd. ppl like graham richlands and finaly play giles in regular season not preseason

[/ QUOTE ]

there are 7 teams in the top 16 of AAA in the MSAC. Thats pretty good competition if you ask me

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are 7 teams in the top 16 of AAA in the MSAC. Thats pretty good competition if you ask me

[/ QUOTE ]

But aren't half the AAA teams in WV in the MSAC??? So 7 out of 16 would be about right.

[ QUOTE ]

QUOTE:

I promise you BLUEFIELD WILL blow James Monroe away when they play not even a decent game

I wish I was as smart as some people...

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a hint of sarcasm in that...from what I have seen with James Monroe's defense I think that Bluefield will beat them by a pretty good margin. It all depends on how Coach prepares them to defend that retarded offense up at Lindside. The one were the "quarterback" and center move early on nearly every play but never get called for a false start. I don't see the Mavs defense being able to contain all of Bluefield's weapons. Bluefield has 4 or 5 guys that have a chance of taking the ball all the way everytime they touch it and that is something that is hard for any defense to stop, especially on their home turf at Mitchell. We will have to wait until that Friday night rolls around and the two AA contenders face each other under the lights at Mitchell Stadium.