Grayson and the MED

fieldgeneral

Sure they do....or at least they think they do. Geographically, that conference is the closest for them to play in. On the other hand though, they should be AA and playing in the SWD. Or at the very least A D2 and playing in the TRD or Hogo.

Guest Woolybugger

Thanks G-Man. Tired of hearing that year in and year out. There are 14 Group A schools in the state larger than Grayson Co. including three in Region D.

Just because a school moves down does not always mean that will instantly compete in everything! What people forget sometimes is that sometimes the smaller schools are better, it's not always about total numbers but numbers in a particular sport. Just because Graham moves down, that does not change who comes out for lets say baseball and there are just as many group A teams that would beat Graham as AA? I think Lee thought the exact samething when they combined 4 schools to make 1, they thought they would win everything coming and going, not even worrying about travel back then, it didn't happen and now all you hear is how far THEY have to travel to play not that anyone has to go to Benhur. Yes, year in year out Graham could win any group A district in southwest virginia, but when it comes playoff time they too would strugle just like the rest of us.

[ QUOTE ]

I think Lee thought the exact samething when they combined 4 schools to make 1, they thought they would win everything coming and going, not even worrying about travel back then, it didn't happen and now all you hear is how far THEY have to travel to play not that anyone has to go to Benhur.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 schools combined to form Lee High. You may be forgetting, but remember, three of the schools were Dryden, Keokee, and Flatwoods. Even had St. Charles not long before that. Lee had to go through with it. The only other alternative was to have two schools instead of one. I'm not sure how much Thomas Walker not wanting a part in the consolidation had to with not going through with that though. Had nothing to do with athletics. From what I understand the issue of travel was not always a concern, because it wasn't like this when Lee opened. The issue has just come up in recent years. And of course we know others have to come here. But everyone tries that one, don't know why either, never works.

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard that ENROLLMENT is down in the SWD. Supposively Grayson has as many or more than Graham.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grayson Co. has had more students than Graham for a long time...

[ QUOTE ]

Just because a school moves down does not always mean that will instantly compete in everything! What people forget sometimes is that sometimes the smaller schools are better, it's not always about total numbers but numbers in a particular sport. Just because Graham moves down, that does not change who comes out for lets say baseball and there are just as many group A teams that would beat Graham as AA? I think Lee thought the exact samething when they combined 4 schools to make 1, they thought they would win everything coming and going, not even worrying about travel back then, it didn't happen and now all you hear is how far THEY have to travel to play not that anyone has to go to Benhur. Yes, year in year out Graham could win any group A district in southwest virginia, but when it comes playoff time they too would strugle just like the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

shane:

i believe my post specified "girls' sports. in your post, you used baseball as an example, and i don't know baseball. girls sports, i know, and graham would be infinitely more competitive in girls' sports as a member of the med than they ever would as a member of the swd...which was my point to begin with.

Graham would definitely make runs as a single A school, but they would not be a "PowerHouse". The MED would not be a good district for them. They would most likely overpower most of the schools there. Grayson is the only school that has been anywhere near consistent. The one aspect of this debate that is overlooked by most is that of money. Look at the schedule Graham plays now and you'll see that when Graham hosts games the visiting team brings fans with them. That does not happen(consistently) with some of the smaller schools. Also, the Graham/Beaver game has the potential to fund a high school program for an entire year. With Graham moving down that could significantly hurt the chances that Bluefield would schedule them(due to West Virginia Ratings). Graham will not drop down anytime soon.

You also have to look at geography...Graham draws their kids from a much smaller area than Grayson. Grayson is an extremely spread out county interms of populations. You can drive from the eastern side of Galax all the way to the Tenn. line and remain in Grayson County. I think Graysons enrollment advantage is a little misleading....what other Single A school has this distance problem?

[ QUOTE ]

With Graham moving down that could significantly hurt the chances that Bluefield would schedule them(due to West Virginia Ratings). Graham will not drop down anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect my man! Graham and Bluefield will ALWAYS play whether Bluefield has 1000+ students or Graham has less than 100.

Also, Graham dropping to Class A in VA will not hurt Bluefield as Graham would still be considered a "AA" school under the WV Rating system.