Montcalm Football

fieldgeneral

This program is still young. They have shown signs of life. This year they are down a bit, but their jr. high team is competitive. If there is a young coach out there looking for a head coaching job, it looks like one is coming open. It seems Havens is doing Basketball at Bluefield. Anyone know if he is going to teach at BHS?

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing Coach Havens is going to do is coach basketball at Bluefield. He will still be teaching and coaching football at Montcalm.

[/ QUOTE ] so why even go to bluefield especially when no one wants him there...nothing against him they just don't want him..I couldn't go somewhere I knew I wasn't wanted personally

I love it how one can speak for everyone. There were people who didnt want Gaither, there were people who didnt want Gilliard, there are people who dont want Havens. There are also people that do. It is closed minded people that dont give others a chance that create the bad attitudes and egos that the kids have that others have mentioned on here.

[ QUOTE ]

I love it how one can speak for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is what "everyone" thinks including the players and the administration at BHS. A vast majority wanted Webster to get the job...Dictator Akers decided to do what she wanted...its unfortunate that minority rules in this instance...

Dictator Akers didnt make this decision, the recommendation went before the board and they saw grievous errors in it and tabled the decision. A good leader takes input from others under them and then makes the decision. It they are always doing what they are told by subjectives that doesnt make them a leader does it.

IT IS A PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM! IT IS NOT A PRIVATE SCHOOL OR A COLLEGE WHERE THEY GO AFTER A HIGH PROFILE COACH. THEY TAKE THE APPLICANTS THAT WANT IT AND LOOK AT THEIR CREDENTIALS. THE PERSON WHO HAS THE MOST EXPERIENCE AND IS A TEACHER GETS IT FIRST! GET OVER IT!

You can check the hiring process in WV schools, but you will find that by both state guidelines and county guideines, with more than one applicant the one with the most senority gets the first nod. Yes they are required to post the job, accept applications and proceed with the interview process. In the end senority plays out.

[ QUOTE ]

You can check the hiring process in WV schools, but you will find that by both state guidelines and county guideines, with more than one applicant the one with the most senority gets the first nod. Yes they are required to post the job, accept applications and proceed with the interview process. In the end senority plays out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums up the problems in our school system in a nutshell. If businesses were run like that we would still be riding horses to work.

AMEN, it is the union that dictates the hiring. I cannot believe that Havens would get the job. Something needs to change. He could not even win at Montcalm. The Bluefield program will diminish over the next two years. I love Bluefield Basketball and hate to see it ruined due to a union. So confused???

AMEN, it is the union that dictates the hiring. I cannot believe that Havens would get the job. Something needs to change. He could not even win at Montcalm. The Bluefield program will diminish over the next two years. I love Bluefield Basketball and hate to see it ruined due to a union. So confused???

I guess you believe by your quote that it would be easier to win at Montcalm than at Bluefield. I would like to hear your reasoning on that one.

It looks like he means that, given Montcalm's poor performance as a basketball program in the past, Havens might not be the best coach for a Bluefield program that seems to have had a bright future.

I can see ordinary teaching positions being governed thusly.

But aren't coaching positions 'at will' positions hired as 'add-ons' to existing teaching contracts by the school system? I'm pretty sure the NEA doesn't handle grievances from coaches fired for going 2-8 too often, or for going 5-5 with more thugs per position than FSU and Miami combined.

Also the rules for transfers within a county may be different. Most union contracts will require the position to be posted internally before advertising to the outside world.

A smart administrator will write a position's requirements so that the desired candidate can fill it.

EG: You want a new coach and the coach you like is a history teacher. The coach you like is certified in English and history, so you make the new teaching position "four sections of history and one of English."

As for unions, if they went away tomorrow, we'd be closer to The Jungle in twenty years than we are now ... not saying there'd be 16-hour days and Cratchit-type workplaces right away but things would get worse. The marketplace may dictate that you treat employees nicely but it may also dictate you get as much as you can from your employees. (Shop Steward TNG-CWA Local 32035.)

Hey guys, a wise old coach once told me....you can't make chicken salad with chicken crap! He'll do fine at Bluefield. You people need to give a guy a break and a chance. Just because your man didn't get the job doesn't mean all is doomed. Give a chance and judge the outcome later. Ponder will be all over the floor.

Buddy it aint that SOME of us think he is a good coach or not it's just that he aint bein recieved with open arms by nobody..i heard the players meet with and already don't like him.. I look for us not to beat Princeton this year and maybe lose sectional or regional

Popeye summed it up well. I simply meant that Bluefields program is leaps and bounds above Montcalms. If you can't win at Montcalm why would you get this position. While I do agree with the statement pertaining to the Union and how it can be "worded" to suit the hire, this is not the case in Mercer County. Now perhaps no certified teacher applied for the position, but there is already a man there that wants the job that "built" the program. Maybe Havens will do a good job. He will have roughly 3 years with talent built by another staff. Will he be successful after 2 years?

I did read once where a woman lifted a 2 ton car off of her child after a car wreck. Miracles do happen.

P.S. Check Havens overall record in his many years coaching at Montcalm, then tell me he is someone to be considered for the program they have at Bluefield...