new coach at BHS

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

justin gilbert has been named bluefield high's new head coach. i could not be more happy. excellent guy and coach. good luck gilbert!

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should apply for the assistant's job...

[/ QUOTE ]

The day I see you coaching Bluefield's baseball team is the day I die! Hahaha.

I wish you would have put in for the golf position a couple years back...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should apply for the assistant's job...

[/ QUOTE ]

The day I see you coaching Bluefield's baseball team is the day I die! Hahaha.

I wish you would have put in for the golf position a couple years back...

[/ QUOTE ]

assistants job is open...

why the hell didnt you apply for the golf job?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Well if you had taken it, there was a lot of potential on that team that maybe, just maybe, you could have groomed into a state championship team!

[/ QUOTE ]

we def would have had more fun and i probably would have played my senior year...

[ QUOTE ]

GMan our golf coach?

I'm pretty sure if he was yalls coach our senior year. We would have won 0 matches and probly gotten suspended from certain golf courses for fighting with other teams. haha

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon 'Rocks, I'm a true gentleman when it comes to a gentleman's game.

There would have been no fighting on the golf course...it isn't a contact sport...maybe a little "gamesmanship" here and there, you know, a little cough during someone's backswing, rattling the pocket change while someone is standing over a three-footer, suggesting they don't hit it in the lake or out of bounds, that sort of thing, maybe. But definitely, no fighting...

And BTW, I did take Graham's golf team from worst in the SWD, the year before I coached, to the Region Tournament the year I coached them...not too shabby for a hack like me...

I was there. Yeah, it was called the '80s. Ford was President, Nixon was in the White House and FDR was running this country into the ground. I was bummin' in a hole-in-a-wall town in what is now called Utah. Some fella from Colorado shows up, starts making so called "improvements", right? Before we knew what hit us, the streets are running with late'. It got so bad that a fella that liked to, you know... smoke a little grass or drink a little ripple. Crow like a rooster, maybe challenge the mayor's son to a gentlemen's duel, was "uncouth, against God.

I thought Gilbert did a really good job at Graham last year, the Blufield players are lucky to have him instead of that dumba** Hubbard. I hope he can keep those sectional titles streak alive with a far less talented team than BHS has had the past 6 or so years

• 1 month later...

we had gilbert as the GHS varsity asst. coach last year and JV coach the year before that..and as his cousin..i think yal will be pretty good with him...he knows his baseball..plus BHS has some real talent on the team..

[ QUOTE ]

we had gilbert as the GHS varsity asst. coach last year and JV coach the year before that..and as his cousin..i think yal will be pretty good with him...he knows his baseball..plus BHS has some real talent on the team..

[/ QUOTE ]

he was only varsity asst. coach last year? he seemed like he was the head coach. hopefully that means better things to come for Bluefield baseball

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he was only varsity asst. coach last year? he seemed like he was the head coach. hopefully that means better things to come for Bluefield baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham's head coach was hampered by a lot of medical problems... Gilbert pretty much took over the whole thing.

[ QUOTE ]

plus BHS has some real talent on the team..

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to the last 3 years of bluefield baseball..this will be a rebuilding year for them..But they do return starters Warren Furrow, Nick Williams, Chase Joyner, Cody Wassum and Jake Lilly..And im sure Marcus Paterson will start this year

yea but graham doesnt have enough players that truly want to be out there...a couple of seniors the only two juniors that will probably play are all we have plus david m..so i think bluefield will be fine....Patterson is a great player i played against him last year...craig C is pretty good too

Yes, defensively they will be set pretty much..Pitching they might be a little weak for the beginning of the season..But my main concern is hitting..Jake Lilly and Chase Joyner you won't have to worry about hitting the ball but everyone else poses a little concern.

I agree that the hitting will be weak, at least at first. Defense will always be problem for BHS regardless of talent because of the lack of their own field, just see the last 3-6 years. I think the biggest hole for them to fill is catcher, where Lilly has the most varsity experience (and that was only one game). Pitching wise they are a little thin except for furrow, williams, and lyons. i truly believe that by the end of the year Gilbert will have gotten them organized and they will win their fourth sectional title in a row.

Lilly and Patterson will be doing the most catching I think. I think theyll switch off for the beginning of the year just to get some good time in and then the coaches will see who best suits it. I say Patterson will end up catching throughout this season

I see Lilly being a better catcher than Patterson...But we need Lilly somewhere in the infield..So I see Patterson handleing most of the catcher position....If the bats don't carry the team, than Furrow will have to be the guy on the mound to do so..