Blatant Bad officiating this year...officials should be held accountable...

futbolking

I have seen at least 4 games this year, myself that have had the outcome determined by a blatant bad call (or more) by the officials. I have never in my life experienced such home cooking. The most recent experience came at Giles on Monday night. I won't go into detail....but I just want to know why a group of kids should have everything they've worked towards for 4 years (seniors) be destroyed by an overweight middle aged guy with a yellow hanky...?? It's ridiculous. These games should be video taped and the officials should be observed and reviewed just like they would at any other job...if it means paying a little more for officials, I think it's worth it. Heck, up the price at the gate and extra $1.00 or $2.00 to see a fair contest. Get some honest professional people out there calling the games. In the past, I have seen drunken referees...guys that ignore obvious penalties and guys that call "phantom" penalties that have determined the outcome of games...But THIS season...it has been absolutely absurd and ridiculous and something needs to change.

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen at least 4 games this year, myself that have had the outcome determined by a blatant bad call (or more) by the officials. I have never in my life experienced such home cooking. The most recent experience came at Giles on Monday night. I won't go into detail....but I just want to know why a group of kids should have everything they've worked towards for 4 years (seniors) be destroyed by an overweight middle aged guy with a yellow hanky...?? It's ridiculous. These games should be video taped and the officials should be observed and reviewed just like they would at any other job...if it means paying a little more for officials, I think it's worth it. Heck, up the price at the gate and extra $1.00 or $2.00 to see a fair contest. Get some honest professional people out there calling the games. In the past, I have seen drunken referees...guys that ignore obvious penalties and guys that call "phantom" penalties that have determined the outcome of games...But THIS season...it has been absolutely absurd and ridiculous and something needs to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why single out 'fatboys'? There are some skinny officials who have been known to drink, cheat, play cards, go the Southern X and the movies, cuss, and beat their old ladys, kids, and dogs as well!

I know what you mean.

There's this one official in particular who is a total buffoon. Keeps talking to players on the field about his glory days as a player when his defense held opponents scoreless and without any yardage at all. And he punctuates his signals with break dancing moves. This past week at Clintwood, I swear he did the worm across the field to explain an offsides call against J.I. Burton.

Don't know where they find guys like this. If memory serves, the one I'm thinking of is one of them Hunnells from Garden Creek.

[ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean.

There's this one official in particular who is a total buffoon. Keeps talking to players on the field about his glory days as a player when his defense held opponents scoreless and without any yardage at all. And he punctuates his signals with break dancing moves. This past week at Clintwood, I swear he did the worm across the field to explain an offsides call against J.I. Burton.

Don't know where they find guys like this. If memory serves, the one I'm thinking of is one of them Hunnells from Garden Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead right Aluminum! I know who you are talking about. I know for a fact that the other officials call him 'Cup Cake' but he isn't a Hunnell. The reason they call him Cup Cake is for the exact reasons you mention. Rather then just throw a flag and make a call, he punctuated his calls with an alacrity that permeated the Clintwood stadium with an maladorous odor that will last for weeks.

boys, boys, boys........

I happen to know for a "fact" that ol' cupcake is probably one of the best officials the AOA has going for it right now. Not like that old guy that runs the roads everyday in a certain town. That old codger isn't fit to call midget league games......I think he's losing his sight as well. But, he could hit a baseball though.

I still say the ole running codger would be better than the fools who did Giles/Floyd Monday. You want to hear about some bad ref's go to vapreps region C and read all the smack. At least they were consistently horrible on both sides. Ole running codger would be ashamed of his co-horts.

[ QUOTE ]

It could be time to dust off the old black cleats and hit the gridiron!! Somewhere in the distant I hear ole' Bud Galimore laughing!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

has a pair of your black cleats ever been on a gridiron?

I say bring back RC Underwood and BUD and throw in Rick Longfellow and Sammy Casiady and you will have an allstar crew. That bunch would throw more laundry than you have ever seen at a laundry mat in Raven

[ QUOTE ]

has a pair of your black cleats ever been on a gridiron?

[/ QUOTE ]

OFISHE8 is a Richlands Midget League legend. Guided the Green Wave to three solid ties during the magical, magical (hey, that's pretty magical) 1982 season.

The best thing is that his black Tony Dorsett "TD" Converse cleats still fit.

[ QUOTE ]

I still say the ole running codger would be better than the fools who did Giles/Floyd Monday. You want to hear about some bad ref's go to vapreps region C and read all the smack. At least they were consistently horrible on both sides. Ole running codger would be ashamed of his co-horts.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, they were bad for both sides...but two calls in particular would've prevented a Giles touchdown and a turnover that would've given Floyd possession of the ball and it did make a difference in the outcome of the game...

I just hope it doesn't prevent Floyd from making the playoffs.

Let's not forget that memorable night at Lebanon High School back in 1984!! What a game that was!! If it were not for a couple of missed defenisive assignments by our linebackers that game WOULD have been our first victory!!

no offense, but missed assignments by linebackers has nothing to do with poor officiating. Some of these guys that suit up in referee suits should be fired. Of course, when they get paid a whopping $45 to do a game...who would be willing to replace them?

[ QUOTE ]

no offense, but missed assignments by linebackers has nothing to do with poor officiating. Some of these guys that suit up in referee suits should be fired. Of course, when they get paid a whopping $45 to do a game...who would be willing to replace them?

[/ QUOTE ]

futbolking, I don't think you're taking this issue seriously enough. Why don't you bite down hard on this thing and let us all know how you really feel?

In fact, let's go one better. I can personally get you an application from the Appalachian Officials Association and you could probably be on the field yourself fixing this problem in a matter of a few days.

Howzaboutit?

[ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget that memorable night at Lebanon High School back in 1984!! What a game that was!! If it were not for a couple of missed defenisive assignments by our linebackers that game WOULD have been our first victory!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Blues knew what they were doing in that one. After all, nobody wanted to wreck Jay Debord's perfect record.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

futbolking, I don't think you're taking this issue seriously enough. Why don't you bite down hard on this thing and let us all know how you really feel?

In fact, let's go one better. I can personally get you an application from the Appalachian Officials Association and you could probably be on the field yourself fixing this problem in a matter of a few days.

Howzaboutit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your sarchasm, but it is something I take seriously, especially when I have relatives and other children that I know playing and you see them get robbed of what they have worked for 4 years to accomplish. If I didn't have 2 young children and work myself to death, then and had the time, I'm sure I'd want to do a professional job with it, so thanks for the offer. I guess it would be o.k. with you if the players also wore extra long cleats?

Lighten up, it's a valid point...and yes it aggravates me, because I've seen it happen too often.

[ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your sarchasm, but it is something I take seriously, especially when I have relatives and other children that I know playing and you see them get robbed of what they have worked for 4 years to accomplish. If I didn't have 2 young children and work myself to death, then and had the time, I'm sure I'd want to do a professional job with it, so thanks for the offer. I guess it would be o.k. with you if the players also wore extra long cleats?

Lighten up, it's a valid point...and yes it aggravates me, because I've seen it happen too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'd prefer to see them play in gladiator garb. But that could be construed as more of a lifestyle thing, so I don't harp too much about it.

I know where you're coming from, and I'm sympathetic. But we're not treading new ground here.