VA playoff system

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you WVVA guys something, how many games would Bluefield get to play at home as long as they win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three...1st round, quarterfinals, and semifinals. State Championship is held in Wheeling, OH or PA...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

No regions or districts. The top 16 teams get in by accumulating points that are then diveded by the games played. Points are 6 for beating "A" teams. 9 for "AA" teams, 12 for "AAA" teams. Teams can then get bonus points for teams they have defeated beating teams in their classification or higher. For every one of these wins a team gets a point.

add points for victories and bonus points, then divide by games played. Teams with the highest average make the playoffs.

Pretty simple I must say. WV dont fool around with those "regional championships". You bring home the state or nothing. Throw the "second" place plaques in trash !!

How did they decide the state champ in the old Group I(pre 1970) before Virginia started a playoff system in football? Was there a selection committee that decided what teams played each other? I was reading on the VHSL record book and some teams won state by beating a team and there are some state champions that didn't play an opponent.