VA playoff system

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

How does the Va playoff system work? are there district and region playoffs? last year i swore there was a SWd playoff with tazewell playing graham, then the winner playing Richlands later. Maybe im mistaken?

anyways, just wanted to know how it works down there in VA...lol

Guest BEAVERTAIL

yes. I just wanted to know how the brackets are set up, things like that. I thought there was a district playoff then a regional playoff then a regional playoff, then the state semifinals. Then im reading all these things about how R-lands and the g-men wont match up in the playoffs, and since i thought there was a district playoff, i just got confused.

help.

There is 2 rounds of region play. Then State Semis and then Finals. 4 playoff games. The Graham Tazewell game last year was the #2 and #3 seed in the region playing. This year that game will most likely be Graham and Marion.

They changed the regions last year so its looking different to you. 4 regions, 2 divisions(with two regions each in them), than state playoff game. Richlands and Graham could match up if they both win. Piedmont and River Ridge is in our region this year, if I understand this thing correctly.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

this may be a stupid question, but can you win your district and not make the playoffs?

No. The district winner gets an automatic berth. Thats why abingdon was hoping Grundy would beat us. They didnt have the points to make it in. So it would have taken the District Champ to get them in.

I was listening to Greg Roberts on my way home Friday and every Friday he has Mike Stevens on to talk about area match ups for that night and I only caught the tailend of the segment. They were finishing up talking about how crazy if would be for VHSL to propose a change to the playoffs in the near future. I didn't hear it all and I was wondering what was going on. Are they trying to expand the Virginia playoffs or something?

they aleady have. They're now letting each Region decide if they want more teams in. Only 3 of the 16 decided to expand back in the Spring - maybe more will for the 2009-11 cycle.

If you look around, you'll see Region 3 has went to 6 teams and their 1st round is this week. Most of far SW VA has a bye this week, but we start earlier than the rest of the state because of the snow days.

[ QUOTE ]

... Then im reading all these things about how R-lands and the g-men wont match up in the playoffs, and since i thought there was a district playoff, i just got confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just R fans saying G will lose and vice-versa.

quick overview of Va's structure, for those who are curious.

About 300 schools divided into 3 equal Groups based on enrollment - BUT, schools can play "up" a Group, so AAA has well over 100 schools.

Each Group has 4 Regions.

Each Region has 3 or 4 Districts.

Districts have 3-11 members.

Schools MUST play every team in their District unless granted an exception (mainly for those 11 team Districts)

District champs earn a playoff bid.

If you have co-champs, the one with the best ratings gets the automatic bid (see Abingdon).

Now for our playoff structure.

Each REGION is divided in half based on enrollment - AA has Div. 4 (the largest schools) and Div. 3 (smallest schools).

Each Div. has 4 playoff spots in their Region (3 of Va's 16 Regions now have more).

District champs are put in first, and if any spots remain open, ratings decides who gets wild-card berths.

When the 4 teams are known, ratings determines the seeds. Higher seed hosts unless there's a special circumstance (Region D decided to play their finals on the turf at UVA-Wise).

State semis rotate between Regions. Last year, Richlands (Div. 3) was on the road, so they'd host this year, if they get that far.

[ QUOTE ]

they aleady have. They're now letting each Region decide if they want more teams in. Only 3 of the 16 decided to expand back in the Spring - maybe more will for the 2009-11 cycle.

If you look around, you'll see Region 3 has went to 6 teams and their 1st round is this week. Most of far SW VA has a bye this week, but we start earlier than the rest of the state because of the snow days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing the main reason for this expansion was because of 9-1 teams not winning the district and getting left out all together on points rankings, correct?

Then if there are only three or four good teams that get the bids, then they will have to let in two more teams and they could be 3-7 or 4-6 teams, correct?

[ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing the main reason for this expansion was because of 9-1 teams not winning the district and getting left out all together on points rankings, correct?

Then if there are only three or four good teams that get the bids, then they will have to let in two more teams and they could be 3-7 or 4-6 teams, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct and correct. If they expanded to allow the 9-1 teams to get in, then in years when the 9-1 teams automatically qualify, teams that are sub .500 are going to get in the playoffs.

They are creating what they are tyring to eliminate...some people can't see the forest because of all the trees...