Cole Cool in huddle

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree in part. There is a good deal of overlap, especially among class A and AA in West Virginia and Virginia, if you go strictly by school enrollment. AAA may be a stretch, given some of the extremely large high schools in Northern Virginia and the Tidewater Region.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant look at enrollments in wv and va at face value. enrollments in wv are 9-11 and enrollments in va are 9-12.

to classify a wv team in va, you have to add another third i.e. a team in wv with 500 enrollment would have approximately 667 in va

to classify a va team in wv, you have to subtract a fourth i.e. a team in va with 600 enrollment would have approximately 450 in wv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I did not know that; you learn something new everyday!

However, under your system, there still is considerable overlap between the sizes in A and AA. It's been a while since I've examined this in detail, but in Virginia, special exemptions excepted, A goes to around 650, AA goes to around 1400, and AAA is anything above that. Again, I know there are schools bigger and smaller on both sides of all three classifications, but this is a rough estimate.

Using your math on this scale (adding 1/3 for WV to VA, and subtracting 1/4 for VA to WV), there is a good deal of overlap until the far upper reaches of AA and beyond. Below that, I don't see how you can't compare them equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think you can really compare wv and va by enrollment or class at all. one way to compare though is by the MASSEY overall rating and strength of schedule or by the MAXPREPS overall ratings and strength of schedule. These are done by mathematical formulas that are not regional based, and all schools in the nation are rated by this same format.

people will always argue that theyre home team, region, or state is better, thats the power of opinion but it is biased. Hard data that compares teams on an equal plane is your only true comparison, like Massey and Maxpreps.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree in part. There is a good deal of overlap, especially among class A and AA in West Virginia and Virginia, if you go strictly by school enrollment. AAA may be a stretch, given some of the extremely large high schools in Northern Virginia and the Tidewater Region.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant look at enrollments in wv and va at face value. enrollments in wv are 9-11 and enrollments in va are 9-12.

to classify a wv team in va, you have to add another third i.e. a team in wv with 500 enrollment would have approximately 667 in va

to classify a va team in wv, you have to subtract a fourth i.e. a team in va with 600 enrollment would have approximately 450 in wv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I did not know that; you learn something new everyday!

However, under your system, there still is considerable overlap between the sizes in A and AA. It's been a while since I've examined this in detail, but in Virginia, special exemptions excepted, A goes to around 650, AA goes to around 1400, and AAA is anything above that. Again, I know there are schools bigger and smaller on both sides of all three classifications, but this is a rough estimate.

Using your math on this scale (adding 1/3 for WV to VA, and subtracting 1/4 for VA to WV), there is a good deal of overlap until the far upper reaches of AA and beyond. Below that, I don't see how you can't compare them equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think you can really compare wv and va by enrollment or class at all. one way to compare though is by the MASSEY overall rating and strength of schedule or by the MAXPREPS overall ratings and strength of schedule. These are done by mathematical formulas that are not regional based, and all schools in the nation are rated by this same format.

people will always argue that theyre home team, region, or state is better, thats the power of opinion but it is biased. Hard data that compares teams on an equal plane is your only true comparison, like Massey and Maxpreps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fan of both the Massey and MaxPreps rating systems, and I agree that both provide good statistical analysis to determine the overall "strength" of a team. However, I still believe enrollment comparisons are one method, albeit crude, of determining how area teams might do against similar competition. Again, there is some overlap, but it is by no means exact. Agree to disagree on this one point, perhaps.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

If Bluefield is forced to pass to win a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

they have had to. William Campbell.

[ QUOTE ]

I believe they were in the William Cambell game. We passed the ball like crazy against them on our game winning drive, ending the game with a 26 yard touchdown pass to Ansel Ponder. Sure Bluefield's passing game has struggled this year but they efficient when it counts.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Damn, you suck at posting pictures...glad you're only a bean counter...

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be drunk, that's beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is but the picture wasn't visible until I fixed your link...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I believe they were in the William Cambell game. We passed the ball like crazy against them on our game winning drive, ending the game with a 26 yard touchdown pass to Ansel Ponder. Sure Bluefield's passing game has struggled this year but they efficient when it counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to admit though, William Campbell's D on that last drive looked like VT's D against BC in the last five minutes of the game...even I could have completed those passes with the defense backing up and leaving the receivers open underneath...and my elbow looks like a bomb went of in it..."Blown up, Sir!"...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not correct. The game with Campbell was tied late into the fourth quarter. Bluefield could have just run the clock and taken the game to OT. I'm talking about when Beaver is three touchdowns behind with fifteen minutes to play, or in a contest with a team that lines up nine or ten men within three yards of the line on every play and Bluefield MUST throw.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in the first situation if bluefield is down by 3 tds, who could expect a QB to bring his team back unless they are playing WVUs defense...

and in the second situation... someone plaese put 9 or ten people on the box against bluefield. That means ansel ponder is def in single coverage... easy pickins. and yes, will overthrew him twice in one game. So what? he is 17 give him a break. If anyone even took the time to read the article you realize what a nice guy he is. Very humble as well. So why do you continually bash on him?

Heres why... Im beginning to see a hint of green in Sandman's and Gman's eyes. You both are jealous that Bluefield has THE BEST QB in the whole SWVA.If you wanna argue lets look at the stats.... 3 INTS 10 TDs, completes over 50% of his passes and also is 9-0! 2 ststs jump out at me...3 INTs and 9-0. Anything that knows anything about football knows that these two things are key. You gotta win (9-0), and then by not throwing INTs you allow your defense to not have to play with their backs against a wall...

Keep it up will, keep winning and the whole east coast is gonna hate you just cause they cant have you.

No, that's not correct. The game with Campbell was tied late into the fourth quarter. Bluefield could have just run the clock and taken the game to OT. I'm talking about when Beaver is three touchdowns behind with fifteen minutes to play, or in a contest with a team that lines up nine or ten men within three yards of the line on every play and Bluefield MUST throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see sandman is still [ sitt'n on a bar stool talkin like a damn fool got the i'm a g-man fan blues ] just kidding ! i think the games bluefield has had a good lead ,they have tried too help cole improve on his passing game, but the james monroe game almost backfired.i think he is still untested and just hope he is ready when the time comes.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in the first situation if bluefield is down by 3 tds, who could expect a QB to bring his team back unless they are playing WVUs defense...

and in the second situation... someone plaese put 9 or ten people on the box against bluefield. That means ansel ponder is def in single coverage... easy pickins. and yes, will overthrew him twice in one game. So what? he is 17 give him a break. If anyone even took the time to read the article you realize what a nice guy he is. Very humble as well. So why do you continually bash on him?

Heres why... Im beginning to see a hint of green in Sandman's and Gman's eyes. You both are jealous that Bluefield has THE BEST QB in the whole SWVA.If you wanna argue lets look at the stats.... 3 INTS 10 TDs, completes over 50% of his passes and also is 9-0! 2 ststs jump out at me...3 INTs and 9-0. Anything that knows anything about football knows that these two things are key. You gotta win (9-0), and then by not throwing INTs you allow your defense to not have to play with their backs against a wall...

Keep it up will, keep winning and the whole east coast is gonna hate you just cause they cant have you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now...don't be instigating.

I'm not jealous at all that Cole is at Bluefield...it gives them a challenge to win the State Championship in spite of who is under center.

There were two QBs in the SWD that were better than Cole this year, and a third who is a better on-field leader...<cough><cough>Marrs</cough></cough>...

As I said, when Cole blows the big one (notice I didn't say "if", I said "when"), there'll be plenty of room on the Basher Bandwagon...just don't forget to tip your driver...

HAHA..."Cole blows the big one"...that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

I agree with Tail. If any team puts 9 to 10 men in the box against Bluefield, what would they do when Chase Joyner, Cody Wassum and Ansel Ponder are outside and two of those arent covered? We would be able to pass it easily. Sure Cole overthrew Ansel twice in one game, but he over throws to out of bounds to where it cant be intercepted. He has 10 Tds compared to 3 ints and is completing over 50% and his team is 9-0.

As for Marrs being a better leader, I dont think he lead too well the play where he got his world rocked by Wassum and threw up a dead duck interception to Ponder to seal the victory in this years Beaver/Graham game. Cole is great leader and that is why he is one the field. He never gets rattled and sure, he makes mistakes, but who are you wanting on the field, Tom Brady? This kid is a 17 year old, junior quarterback in high school. Give him a break. If he makes a few mistakes, cool..whatever..it happens. As far as I know, Bluefield is winning ball games.

If the situation would come that Bluefield is down by 3 TDs with 15 minutes left....well wait, that wont happen cause our defense wont allow it. So I dont worry too much.

[ QUOTE ]

As for Marrs being a better leader, I dont think he lead too well the play where he got his world rocked by Wassum and threw up a dead duck interception to Ponder to seal the victory in this years Beaver/Graham game. Cole is great leader and that is why he is one the field. He never gets rattled and sure, he makes mistakes, but who are you wanting on the field, Tom Brady? This kid is a 17 year old, junior quarterback in high school. Give him a break. If he makes a few mistakes, cool..whatever..it happens. As far as I know, Bluefield is winning ball games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cole would have done the same thing if he were still at Graham...except he would have ended up tossing three or four more eggs...

Cole does get rattled...you obviously didn't see him play at Graham last year. As for making mistakes, I seem to recall Mr. Cole lining up under the guard instead of the center early in the Richlands game...the center snapped the ball to NOTHING and Bluefield had to scramble to recover it at their own 8. The only improvement I've seen from Cole since last year is the fact that when he does make a bad pass he ends up throwing it where no one can catch it except for maybe a cheerleader...or the guys standing at the fence in front of the concession stand.

As for Bluefield winning games...they'd be 9-0 with McClanahan at QB...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i dont care what anyone says but without will cole the running game would not be as good. Look at the James monroe game... they had to drop 5 guys into coverage almost every play to prevent the long ball. defenses have to respect wills arm and the recievers speed. Because teams know that bluefield can spread the field vertically, it affects the game as much. Bluefield benefita just with cole back there. Last year bluefield couldnt spread the field vertically.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You have no faith in beavers do you sandbag!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said it all year, that Bluefield will walk to the Title Game. I stand by my statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we will fall behind by 3 TDs and be forced to pass in order to win the game.

I'm really getting tired of the Cole bashing!! Look Its been 10 weeks of football for Bluefield and Coach hasn't sat him on the bench! So seriously get off of this young man! He is the better QB from around the area! I didn't say best but most definitely BETTER! Its playoffs and you can believe that we will have Wills back! Enjoy a great game gentlemen!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You have no faith in beavers do you sandbag!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said it all year, that Bluefield will walk to the Title Game. I stand by my statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we will fall behind by 3 TDs and be forced to pass in order to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This etire arguement has been predicated on a hypathetical.