Cole Cool in huddle

bluefieldRocks

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Will Cole is on a roll. In his first year at quarterback for Bluefield High School, he has helped the squad go 9-0 and achieve the No. 1 rating in Class AA.

He’s thrown for 921 yards and 10 touchdowns with only three interceptions. His completion rate is a shade over 50 percent (75-for-148).

Head coach Fred Simon said, “On the field, he’s calm and cool and doesn’t let things upset him — yet he knows what he has to do to get the job done. ... I like his demeanor as a quarterback.†He characterized Cole as smart and said “he leads by example.â€

The polite junior quietly spreads the credit for the team’s success around.

The offensive line is manned by seniors. Cole noted, “They pretty much know what they’re doing. It gives me a lot of confidence.â€

Acknowledging that Bluefield is loaded at the skill positions, he said, “It obviously feels great, having a lot of real good athletes around you. You always aren’t the one who has to make plays. ...

“I have confidence in all of my guys that they can make plays, so wherever I decide to go with the ball, I feel that they can make plays for me.â€

With a defense like the Beavers have, Cole said, “It takes a lot of pressure off you, knowing that you don’t always have to score 40 points a game to win — you can score three touchdowns or so and still come out with the win.â€

The Beavers’ coaches have been studying tape to get ready for a multi-pronged attack from Roane County (5-5) in Friday night’s playoff opener at Mitchell Stadium.

Just minutes after school dismissed on Monday, Cole was in a classroom with assistant coach Fred Simon II looking over Job One for the day — diagrams of the Raiders’ likely setups on defense.

He said, “We’re not going to look past any team, but obviously our goal is to win a state championship, and that’s what we’re going to try to do.â€

Cole had work to do last summer, after transferring to BHS from Graham High School, where he started at quarterback for the G-Men in 2006.

He said, “I feel for the most part, I fit right in, because I knew a lot of these guys from when I used to go to school over here, and I’ve played basketball with them. I knew most of them and I was friends with them, so it wasn’t too hard of an adjustment.â€

Chris Harris, a senior guard, said, “He had to learn the plays, but we just had to make it work. And he’s a good guy to get along with. It was easy to get along with him.â€

As a quarterback, Cole said, “I think I’ve grown a lot. We do a lot of different things here at Bluefield than I did at Graham last year. I’ve learned a lot of things, too.â€

In the passing game, for example, he said, “My reads are a lot different, because we’re having four wide receivers going out at a time instead of two, so I have to look at the whole field.â€

Among his favorite pro quarterbacks are Brett Favre and Drew Brees, “because of his height. He’s 6-foot, just like me. In the NFL, they’re looking for that 6-4 quarterback, so when you see a guy doing as (well) as Drew Brees has, being 6-foot, I like that a lot.â€

He appreciates Favre, he said, because “he’s always out there battling.â€

Running the offense is a big job, and Cole has not been asked to play defense at Bluefield. But he’d like to.

“Hopefully next year (the coaches) might give me a shot, but that’s up to them,†he said. “It’s a lot tougher; you’ve got to be in a lot better condition to play both ways. (On) defense, it’s always fun to go out there and hit somebody every once in a while.â€

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He has threw more than 3

Newspaper is totally wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's only thrown three interceptions. One against William Campbell and then the two versus James Monroe.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the stat lines I have read this year, that would be correct. Three interceptions.

I wonder what his completion percentage is on passes thrown in the air less than 10 yards downfield vs. passes thrown in the air more than 10 yards downfield.

I would be willing to be he's less than 20% in the second category...maybe even closer to 10%...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he threw one against Princeton also?

Oh well, it doesn't matter though

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, he did not throw one against Princeton. The only turnover against Princeton that I can recall was the fumble by Lilly after a long run.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he threw one against Princeton also?

Oh well, it doesn't matter though

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yea. That one where Jake was laying on the ground and the ball came out. What a classic bad call by the refs...

Nope, he did not throw one against Princeton. The only turnover against Princeton that I can recall was the fumble by Lilly after a long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Oh...I remember what I was thinking now

Against WC i believe, he just launched one up in the air as far as he could and got picked off. Luckily for him there was a penalty on that play against WC

[/ QUOTE ]

As was pointed out, the second interception against WC was wiped out due to the roughing the passer penalty. The INT in the WC game was during the first half on a pass to Ponder down the left sideline going toward the scoreboard end of the field. The WC player made a great leaping catch on a slightly overthrown ball and came down with the pick.

Hey Rocks, can you please quit the Cole hating now? And all the Blufied fans who are still downing him. I was at the Scott game and some idiots are still talking trash about the kid. The only numbers that matter is the record, 9-0. What will all these people say when he brings a title back to BHS? He will loved and adored by those same people that are still talking junk

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Support your team. I sat with CrashDavis and i got pretty upset and actually said something to the people. Im getting sick of it.

Support your team. its not hard.

[ QUOTE ]

The Lilly fumble that I'm talking was clearly a fumble, as the ball was popped loose from behind well before he was down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from my angle it wasn't even close. I was right down there on that side of the field and he was laying there and the ball popped out.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Lilly fumble that I'm talking was clearly a fumble, as the ball was popped loose from behind well before he was down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from my angle it wasn't even close. I was right down there on that side of the field and he was laying there and the ball popped out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the ground caused the fumble... but i do occasionally see things through biased eyes...

Rocks, you don't have to say anything man. We all know that you don't like Will and when he makes just one mistake you immediately start talking crap and want Eric in the game. In my opinion, Eric is a helluva a defensive player and we need him fresh on D man. Will is doing a good enough job to have us at 9-0. We are not asking him to go out and put up Nate Sower type numbers, but just to get it done in the game.

Let me take you back 2 weeks ago BoGeavers, James Monroe game, I clearly remember that night regardless of how many mikes hard lemonades I had. Will Cole overthrew ansel ponder by 10 yards on 2 plays in a row and he had the DB and FS beat. I clearly remember you saying "Jesus" and I just laughed. I dont remember saying anything about "Put eric in". As much as you would like to hear me say that. I havent said we need to put eric in since the W.C game

So im not sure what you're getting at on this one. I havent said anything about will cole since then so why in the name of Texas Pete are you trying to stir stuff up? seriously?

And the second half of that game BeaverTail and I didnt even sit with you guys. So what are you going to tell me now? that I said something and you overheard me from 45 yards away?

I've only sat with you 2 games Graham, and W.C. and the beginning of the James Monroe game and I havent even mentioned Will Cole since W.C...

So it seems to me as if you're the one with the problem. I was just simply stating that I thought he had 4 interceptions and you guys jump all over my back and calling me a "Will Cole hater" because i thought he had more INT's then what he really did.

I think every one in the stands said "Jesus" on that play.

I am trying to start crap man I was just saying stuff I thought was true. Whether it is or not, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning...so the chances of me recalling correctly what people said is hard to believe. I just know that you are a huge Eric fan and don't suppost Will as much as you would Eric.

No crap being started...