Bluefield Shady Spring

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Just for information: There is a conference in Southern West Virginia, it is called the coalfield conference. Just about every A and AA school in the south is in it. Princeton, Greenbrier East, Nicholas County, and Woodrow used to be in it until they left for the MSAC. I said just about every one because Bluefield is not a member, it used to be but is not anymore. I was told that they got out because other schools in it would not play Bluefield. It was discussed this past year that we require members to play other members, in hopes of enticing Bluefield to get back in. If that would happen it could benefit both Bluefield for scheduling purposes, and the conference would have a very strong member. Many of the AA schools in the south that duck Bluefield would be forced to play them or get out of the conference themselves. BYW Bluefield is entitled to play up in AAA if they so choose. Williamson did it for years, other have on occasion. Just remember a AA power is just another AAA contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coalfield Conference does not exist for football...although there will be a football conference in the near future without the southern three included...the "other" schools DON'T WANT TO PLAY BLUEFIELD, JAMES MONROE, OR MOUNT VIEW...

Here are the teams that are going to be in the "new" football conference...

Oak Hill

Liberty-Raleigh

Independence

Shady Spring

Westside

Wyoming East

PikeView

Summers Co.

Iaeger

There's nine teams with a guaranteed eight games. Also, look for the new Mingo Co. consolidated school to try to get in on the action as well. Doesn't leave much room for anyone else on the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what would Bluefield gain from playing those teams? Absolutely nothing. It would be the equivalent of scrimmaging with the practice squad and the only playoff preparation it would bring would be that of a first round playoff game against an extremely weak opponent.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Just for information: There is a conference in Southern West Virginia, it is called the coalfield conference. Just about every A and AA school in the south is in it. Princeton, Greenbrier East, Nicholas County, and Woodrow used to be in it until they left for the MSAC. I said just about every one because Bluefield is not a member, it used to be but is not anymore. I was told that they got out because other schools in it would not play Bluefield. It was discussed this past year that we require members to play other members, in hopes of enticing Bluefield to get back in. If that would happen it could benefit both Bluefield for scheduling purposes, and the conference would have a very strong member. Many of the AA schools in the south that duck Bluefield would be forced to play them or get out of the conference themselves. BYW Bluefield is entitled to play up in AAA if they so choose. Williamson did it for years, other have on occasion. Just remember a AA power is just another AAA contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coalfield Conference does not exist for football...although there will be a football conference in the near future without the southern three included...the "other" schools DON'T WANT TO PLAY BLUEFIELD, JAMES MONROE, OR MOUNT VIEW...

Here are the teams that are going to be in the "new" football conference...

Oak Hill

Liberty-Raleigh

Independence

Shady Spring

Westside

Wyoming East

PikeView

Summers Co.

Iaeger

There's nine teams with a guaranteed eight games. Also, look for the new Mingo Co. consolidated school to try to get in on the action as well. Doesn't leave much room for anyone else on the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what would Bluefield gain from playing those teams? Absolutely nothing. It would be the equivalent of scrimmaging with the practice squad and the only playoff preparation it would bring would be that of a first round playoff game against an extremely weak opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it has no bearing on playoffs, maybe Bluefield should checking into letting their JV team become a member! LOL

Conferences in WV have absolutely no effect on playoff standings or seedings. So really the only benefit of being in the conference is that the conference champ each year can put "coalfield conference champs" on their jackets.

[ QUOTE ]

Conferences in WV have absolutely no effect on playoff standings or seedings. So really the only benefit of being in the conference is that the conference champ each year can put "coalfield conference champs" on their jackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true but if everyone is in a conference and is required to play everyone else in the conference, those on the outside are going to have a very difficult time scheduling ten games without having to a) travel long distances in state to play, or b) go out of state to schedule games where you once again run into the same problem of teams not having openings on their schedules.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a "plot" by the schools I've listed to make it as difficult as possible for the Southern 3 to make a 10-game schedule in football. They are in essence forcing the Southern 3 to either travel long distances to schedule in-state Class AA schools, schedule Class AAA schools that are not in a conference thus greatly increasing the teams overall strength of schedule (which isn't a bad thing as long as you win), or worse, schedule Class A schools thus hurting the potential ratings points.

I've warned you...its coming...

It is that dang "West Virginia Mafia". I tried for years to correct the thing. I watched as my young lads were crapped on many times, when they were one of the better teams in the state, and be denied even a chance to play in the playoffs. I guess I raised so much of a stink, that they are still trying to punish my lads, even today.

Just a thought, with Abingdon crying over not being in the playoffs, because of a weak schedule and over a 1000 students, that would be an ideal pick up for them. So come on Falcons, give Freddy a call and get it worked out.

Dont take it as gospel but word is Shady and Independence both may be AAA when the new classifications come out for next year. All the aforementioned schools in the "NEW" conference along with James Monroe and Mount View are current Coalfield Conference members. Its purpose is primarily to get some recognition for its member athletes. It is hoped in the future that all member school would have to play a conference schedule but as now it does not exist. If a MUTINY is being planned the conference has no knowledge of it.

[ QUOTE ]

Dont take it as gospel but word is Shady and Independence both may be AAA when the new classifications come out for next year. All the aforementioned schools in the "NEW" conference along with James Monroe and Mount View are current Coalfield Conference members. Its purpose is primarily to get some recognition for its member athletes. It is hoped in the future that all member school would have to play a conference schedule but as now it does not exist. If a MUTINY is being planned the conference has no knowledge of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit reading this bunch of bull after you said Shady and Indy may be AAA on the next classification...NO CHANCE. Both are 100 students or so from being in AAA.

Ill wait until the new classifications come out before I respond too harshly. Keep in mind that the numbers listed on the WVSSAC website, which is where I assume you got your information, are 4 years old. I am sure Shadys and Indys enrollment hasnt changed one bit in four years.

According to Rick Vass, AD at Independence, Shady has gained so much that they are just about positivie that they will be AAA again, and Independence has gained so much they are really concerned that they may be also. You can call all this bull if you want, just repeating what I heard from a reliable source.

[ QUOTE ]

Ill wait until the new classifications come out before I respond too harshly. Keep in mind that the numbers listed on the WVSSAC website, which is where I assume you got your information, are 4 years old. I am sure Shadys and Indys enrollment hasnt changed one bit in four years.

According to Rick Vass, AD at Independence, Shady has gained so much that they are just about positivie that they will be AAA again, and Independence has gained so much they are really concerned that they may be also. You can call all this bull if you want, just repeating what I heard from a reliable source.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have taken a 20%+ increase in enrollment for either to sniff AAA. I'll be VERY suprised if either are AAA in the next classification...if they are, at least that will be a couple of teams Princeton can beat...the new school in McDowell Co. has a better chance at being AAA than eithe of those two...

I have heard rumors of Bluefield possibly dropping to A if the school's population doesnt keep at its growth that it is at righ now. They have a lot of more students this year than they have the past two so maybe they will stay at AA.

Classifications are based on enrollments in grades 9-11:

A (42 schools) <337

AA (41 schools) 338-625

AAA (37 schools) >626

There are a total of 60 A schools, but only 42 have football teams.

The new classifications will probably be adjusted to keep a close number of teams in each class.

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard rumors of Bluefield possibly dropping to A if the school's population doesnt keep at its growth that it is at righ now. They have a lot of more students this year than they have the past two so maybe they will stay at AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield is NOWHERE near Class A numbers in WV...they are in the upper 1/3 of enrollment in AA and their numbers are on the increase over the next couple of years (judging from the BMS enrollment numbers). If anything, Bluefield could move back up to AAA in a couple of years, but definitely not this next reclassification and I don't think I would bet my house being AAA in the reclassification after that but it is possible...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield is NOWHERE near Class A numbers in WV...they are in the upper 1/3 of enrollment in AA and their numbers are on the increase over the next couple of years (judging from the BMS enrollment numbers). If anything, Bluefield could move back up to AAA in a couple of years, but definitely not this next reclassification and I don't think I would bet my house being AAA in the reclassification after that but it is possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Since the last classification Bluefield has gained numbers in grades 9-11. I don't ever see Bluefield being AAA again, even when they do finally consolidate Montcalm into Bluefield.

I dont think Bluefield will move anywhere. Im pretty sure they will stay right where they are in AA. There have been rumors though that if the population of the school drops anymore, they can go down to A. Thats just what ive heard.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont think Bluefield will move anywhere. Im pretty sure they will stay right where they are in AA. There have been rumors though that if the population of the school drops anymore, they can go down to A. Thats just what ive heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure...IF IT DROPS. However, it is going to have to drop by 33% to sniff Class A numbers. Bluefield had over 500 students on the last enrollment count in 2003...the largest Class A school had 337.