Va.Tech

Blues_56

[ QUOTE ]

This is a tough one to pick. Both defenses are playing well, and both offenses have sputtered a bit. Turnovers and special teams will decide this one.

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

No way UVA wins this game with special teams against Beamer! Turnovers maybe, but not special teams. Florida schools are about the only ones that can beat Beamer with special teams.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This is a tough one to pick. Both defenses are playing well, and both offenses have sputtered a bit. Turnovers and special teams will decide this one.

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

No way UVA wins this game with special teams against Beamer! Turnovers maybe, but not special teams. Florida schools are the only ones that can beat Beamer with special teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree on just a few small points.

Ryan Weigand for Virginia has the 4th-best punting average in the nation at 45.86 yards per punt. This could be huge in a low-scoring game, given field position.

Second, I've watched a good deal of Virginia Tech football this year, and I don't think I have seen as many blocked kicks/punts as I have in years past.

Third, Chris Gould for Virginia has made every field goal over 40 yards this season, which becomes a big factor when facing a defense as talented as Virginia Tech's.

Virginia has a better special teams unit than most realize...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

No way UVA wins this game with special teams against Beamer! Turnovers maybe, but not special teams. Florida schools are the only ones that can beat Beamer with special teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan Weigand for Virginia has the 4th-best punting average in the nation at 45.86 yards per punt. This could be huge in a low-scoring game, given field position.

Second, I've watched a good deal of Virginia Tech football this year, and I don't think I have seen as many blocked kicks/punts as I have in years past.

Third, Chris Gould for Virginia has made every field goal over 40 yards this season, which becomes a big factor when facing a defense as talented as Virginia Tech's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like Virginia Tech's special team a lot more. Although UVA is doing well as you mentioned, VT's special teams is still strong.

First, Virginia Tech's punter Brent Bowden is still averaging 42.11 yards a punt. Yes, that is a 3 yard difference but the field position could still go either way, giving no particular edge to Tech or Virginia.

Second, Eddie Royal is now the all-time ACC leader in punt return yards. Since Eddie has been returning kicks, Tech has spent more time playing coverage on punt returns and trying to get a block or two to spring Eddie Royal for a touchdown. They see the talent they have in Eddie and they would like to throw a few key blocks rather than just a sell-out punt block and leaving him out to dry.

Third, although Chris Gould from UVA is 4/4 from 40-49 yards out, his overall field goal percentage is almost 79%. Jud Dunleavy from Virginia Tech is 6/8 from 40-49 yards with an overall percentage of 85%.

All of these stats are similar in a lot of aspects but I would still give the edge to Frank Beamer and his special teams. I take Beamer because of his tradition and overall knowledge of special teams. I say this not because I am a Tech fan but because of history. If Groh had the reputation that Beamer did then I would take UVA's special teams. These stats were not meant to belittle yours in anyway, but I just did it for comparison purposes.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Special Team stats for you...

Punting

Weigand (UVA) 45.86 yds/punt

Bowden (VT) 42.11 yds/punt

Punt Return Yardage Defense

VT 7.18 yds/return

UVA 8.85 yds/return

Punt Returns

Royal (VT) 15.82/return

Hall (UVA) 10.38/return

Using simple math...

UVA punting: 45.86 - (15.82+8.85)/2 = 33.52 yds/punt net

VT punting: 42.11 - (10.38+7.18)/2 = 33.33 yds/punt net

That's a 7 inch difference so punting is a virtual wash except one thing...

Weigand (UVA) 2 of 44 punts inside the 20

Bowden (VT) 26 of 72 punts inside the 20

And I'll even give this one to you...we'll throw Gould into the mix for UVA...

Gould (UVA) 19 punts, 36.3 yds/punt, 14 of 19 inside the 20.

Field Goals/XP

Gould (UVA) FG 15-19 .789 Long: 51 yards; XP 29-31 .935

Dunlevy (VT) FG 17-20 .850 Long: 52 yards; XP 35-37 .946

Kick-offs

Gould (UVA) 57 KOs, 6 TBs .105

Develli, Dunlevy, Bowden (VT) 66 KOs, 15 TBs .227

Also of note, VT hasn't gone for the blocks as they have in the past due to having Eddie Royal returning punts. They've set up for the return on almost EVERY punt this year. But don't think that they can't block kicks anymore...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like Virginia Tech's special team a lot more. Although UVA is doing well as you mentioned, VT's special teams is still strong.

First, Virginia Tech's punter Brent Bowden is still averaging 42.11 yards a punt. Yes, that is a 3 yard difference but the field position could still go either way, giving no particular edge to Tech or Virginia.

Second, Eddie Royal is now the all-time ACC leader in punt return yards. Since Eddie has been returning kicks, Tech has spent more time playing coverage on punt returns and trying to get a block or two to spring Eddie Royal for a touchdown. They see the talent they have in Eddie and they would like to throw a few key blocks rather than just a sell-out punt block and leaving him out to dry.

Third, although Chris Gould from UVA is 4/4 from 40-49 yards out, his overall field goal percentage is almost 79%. Jud Dunleavy from Virginia Tech is 6/8 from 40-49 yards with an overall percentage of 85%.

All of these stats are similar in a lot of aspects but I would still give the edge to Frank Beamer and his special teams. I take Beamer because of his tradition and overall knowledge of special teams. I say this not because I am a Tech fan but because of history. If Groh had the reputation that Beamer did then I would take UVA's special teams. These stats were not meant to belittle yours in anyway, but I just did it for comparison purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!!!

Hokie punter, Brett Bowden, has not had the best year punting and Beamer has kinda called off the dogs on the punt block a bit to set up the return. They have broken through on some, but Eddie Royal (15.8 yards per punt return & 21.3 yards per kick return) has another gear out there and his backups, Macho Harris & Josh Morgan, are pretty good too. Between them, they have four returns for touchdowns (including one that was called back.) 45.86 is an excellent average, but has he outkicked his coverage at all this year? I have not seen UVA play much this year.

With the way the defenses are playing, both offenses may have trouble moving the ball and that is where I think turnovers and return yardage will be most important. Once again, I have not seen UVA play much this year, but I also not heard of them making plays on returns either.

Jud Dunlevy for Virginia Tech is pretty solid in his own right for making kicks. 17-20 with a long of 52. Gould is 15-19 with a long of 51. Both kickers have proven themselves thus far.

BTW, anyone know which team in NCAA DIV 1-A has the most interceptions since the year 2000? Give up? Virginia Tech. 18 already this year

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Punting

VT 7.18 yds/return

UVA 8.85 yds/return

Punt Returns

Royal (VT) 15.82/return

Hall (UVA) 10.38/return

Using simple math...

Field Goals/XP

Kick-offs

Also of note, VT hasn't gone for the blocks as they have in the past due to having Eddie Royal returning punts. They've set up for the return on almost EVERY punt this year. But don't think that they can't block kicks anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UVA 23

VT 20

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Punting

VT 7.18 yds/return

UVA 8.85 yds/return

Punt Returns

Royal (VT) 15.82/return

Hall (UVA) 10.38/return

Using simple math...

Field Goals/XP

Kick-offs

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid statistics, indeed.

To my knowledge, I did not state that Virginia's special teams unit was superior to Virginia Tech's. Nor would I imply this. I'm just refuting the age-old adage that Virginia Tech has a vastly superior special teams to Virginia because of Beamer-ball. Your statistics even confirm this! I would give Virginia Tech a very slight edge in this department, given Dunlevy's strong leg on kickoffs and Gould's propensity to seldom shank gimme field goals.

As a side note, Virginia uses Chris Gould for short-field punting situations, for two reasons. First, he has fairly good touch on short punts. Second, he has an ability to get great hang time on punts, allowing the gunners to get downfield to down the punt deep in the opponent's red zone. The other 5 kicks that Gould did not down inside the 20 were touchbacks.

Also, a valid point about Virginia Tech's lack of blocked kicks. When a team has a returner as explosive as Eddie Royal, a team would be a foolish not to utilize him. Beamer has done a nice job of that.

In the end, your statistics show yet another reason why this meeting between Virginia Tech and Virginia could be the greatest in the history of the rivalry.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, anyone know which team in NCAA DIV 1-A has the most interceptions since the year 2000? Give up? Virginia Tech. 18 already this year

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect, my friend. Cincinnati leads the nation in interceptions, with 23. Virginia Tech is in a tie for 11th, with a respectable 18. Proof: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teampassint&site=org

Your other points were good, though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect, my friend. Cincinnati leads the nation in interceptions, with 23. Virginia Tech is in a tie for 11th, with a respectable 18. Proof: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teampassint&site=org

Your other points were good, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is right... he is saying that Virginia Tech had the most from the years 2000 to present. They have 153 interceptions through this past week's Miami game. They have a total of 18 this year and Cincinnati does lead with 23. So both of you are correct.

Groh converted Hall, the Virginia all-time touchdown passer to cornerback. I disagree strongly with that change, but I'm not paid $1.7 million to coach the team. In my opinion, Hall much better on offense, perhaps as a HB/WR hybrid; he's downright explosive when he gets the ball in his hand. Hall's learning curve at cornerback has been slower than anticipated, but he's making strides a bit at a time. He caught his first career interception in the Miami game, and very nearly another in the third quarter.

is he a starter on D?? i would have to agree with the HB/WR hybrid thing...then they could have the WR reverse pass easily and the HB option pass easily too...hes a smart enough player to know when to throw and when to run...most WR's or HB's throw it everytime they do that play cause they dont know how to read coverages and such...

He actually does start at cornerback: the number two corner behind junior Chris Cook. That spot might be in question next year, since Ras-I Dowling, a true freshman, has done very nicely when asked to step in for either Cook or Hall. There will be a battle next year in the summer for the position, and I honestly see it going to Dowling. You'll hear more from Dowling, trust me.

Virginia's tried the halfback option pass once this year, against Connecticut, and it went for 35 yards. Worked like a charm, and helped open the door for Virginia to win that game. Even if he doesn't pass it, he's very fleet of foot; he took a punt for 65 yards and a near-score against Georgia Tech. He's also ran in a fake field goal opportunity against Pittsburgh. He's got great skills, I just wish that they would be used to their full potential. Expect a Hall halfback pass this weekend against Virginia Tech. Call it a gut feeling.

[ QUOTE ]

Groh converted Hall, the Virginia all-time touchdown passer to cornerback. I disagree strongly with that change, but I'm not paid $1.7 million to coach the team. In my opinion, Hall much better on offense, perhaps as a HB/WR hybrid; he's downright explosive when he gets the ball in his hand. Hall's learning curve at cornerback has been slower than anticipated, but he's making strides a bit at a time. He caught his first career interception in the Miami game, and very nearly another in the third quarter.

[/ QUOTE ]

i def agree but with his height at 5'9 there are few given a chance to play QB at that level even tho i believe he would be a great QB in a spread . . .