WVU in title game?

Bogeavers

Hey last time everyone thought the SEC was to tough for West Virginia to handle. Georgia was to tough, physical, faster, and more battle tested. HMMM didn't the mounties win that game. Didn't WVU run up and down the field? But if the SEC is so physical then we shouldn't have been able to do that correct. Doubt them again i will be glad to hear you eat your words come January 8.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Hey last time everyone thought the SEC was to tough for West Virginia to handle. Georgia was to tough, physical, faster, and more battle tested. HMMM didn't the mounties win that game. Didn't WVU run up and down the field? But if the SEC is so physical then we shouldn't have been able to do that correct. Doubt them again i will be glad to hear you eat your words come January 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...didnt WVU wet their pants when Georgia came back to tie the game? WVU pulled it out, but Georgia gave them a heck of a scare. its not like WVU "ran up and down the field" and even if you think they did, do you honestly think they could do that against LSU?

youre out of your mind if you think they can.

yeah!! now that's the spirit! WVU is not ranked #3 for no reason...yeah they lost to a above-average USF team...but almost everyone has lost to some team not ranked...i do recall the week 4 out of the top 5 teams lost we were the only team to lose to a ranked team...RANKED! and as saw before we are ranked top 20 in the top defensive categories...now idk if that means anything to you...but looks pretty impressive to me

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...didnt WVU wet their pants when Georgia came back to tie the game? WVU pulled it out, but Georgia gave them a heck of a scare. its not like WVU "ran up and down the field" and even if you think they did, do you honestly think they could do that against LSU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slaton set a Sugar Bowl rushing record with 204 yards, that my friend is running up and down the field.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think they can. I know they can if they play up to their potential. When a team gives up 24 points to a very, very sub-par Alabama team. If the o-line blocks, WVU can run all over that Tiger defense. Both teams have to concentrate on the teams at hand right now and not look ahead to the title game. Just ask Michigan about that looking over an opponent.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You and I aren't watching the same Defense. WVU is very physical this year. You have to realize we usually only rush 3 people...all linemen. Occasionally we send a linebacker or spur or bandit. If you have watched the defense all year.....they have been very physical.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may rush three, but they have problems covering the pass. and yeah their d line is amazing, i mean they play the best teams ever in the big east and that non conference schedule is a killer... and trust me, you dont rush three everytime. If a team can constantly rush 3 and get pressure, no team could ever be able to put points on the board against them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they really have trouble? I think they are doing pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say so. They are ranked 70th in strength of schedule. Marshall is 54th and they are a mid-major team in the C-USA. So talk up the defense all you want, but I am sure that they will have their hands more than full trying to stop a high powered offense. It will be a shootout and whoever reaches 50 will win the game. Even with WVU's high powered offense, I highly doubt that they could put up that many points. Assuming they hang onto the football and do not throw those screen passes (which any decent defense would eat alive), then they might have an outside chance of hanging with the big dogs.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You and I aren't watching the same Defense. WVU is very physical this year. You have to realize we usually only rush 3 people...all linemen. Occasionally we send a linebacker or spur or bandit. If you have watched the defense all year.....they have been very physical.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may rush three, but they have problems covering the pass. and yeah their d line is amazing, i mean they play the best teams ever in the big east and that non conference schedule is a killer... and trust me, you dont rush three everytime. If a team can constantly rush 3 and get pressure, no team could ever be able to put points on the board against them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they really have trouble? I think they are doing pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say so. They are ranked 70th in strength of schedule. Marshall is 54th and they are a mid-major team in the C-USA. So talk up the defense all you want, but I am sure that they will have their hands more than full trying to stop a high powered offense. It will be a shootout and whoever reaches 50 will win the game. Even with WVU's high powered offense, I highly doubt that they could put up that many points. Assuming they hang onto the football and do not throw those screen passes (which any decent defense would eat alive), then they might have an outside chance of hanging with the big dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is: which team with a "high-powered offense" are we talking about? The two remaining on the schedule are Connecticut and Pittsburgh. Here are how their total offenses stack up nationally:

Connecticut: 86th

Pittsburgh: 104th

Likewise, neither team has put up fifty points this season. I don't know if I missed the original point, but from here until the bowl game, West Virginia's defense will have no problem whatsoever.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

For all the WVU fans out there, dont be so quick to think your defense is amazing.

Heres why:

Your defense isnt playing very good competition. Dont believe me? well here ya go:

Total Offense

W Mich. - 58

Marshall- 50

Maryland- 96

ECU- 77

USF- 30

Cuse- 115

Miss St.- 114

Rutgers- 24 (without teel however)

L'ville- 9

Cincy- 33

Pitt- 105

Uconn- 88

Thats an average of around 67. that is the upper half of the NCAA.

of these teams, 5 of them average less than 205 passing yards a game. How is that supposed to test WVU's defense?

What offenses has WVU faced?

In comparison, lets take Hawaii for example. The offenses they play average out to be 66 (65.6 to be exact) ... hmmm... anybody want to say Hawaii plays a tough schedule that tests their defense?

What im saying is that WVU hasnt played any offenses that could test them and break them. they are not as physical as the SEC teams, anyone who thinks they are doesnt watch CBS on saturdays...

[ QUOTE ]

What im saying is that WVU hasnt played any offenses that could test them. they are not as physical as the SECteams, anyone who thinks they are doesnt watch CBS on saturdays..

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick question. What conference does Miss. St play in?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

What im saying is that WVU hasnt played any offenses that could test them. they are not as physical as the SECteams, anyone who thinks they are doesnt watch CBS on saturdays..

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick question. What conference does Miss. St play in?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats one team out of 12, and they def dwell in the bottom of the SEC... thats no comparison...

BTW... LSU beat them 45-0, held them to under 150 total yards of offense, which includes 10 yards on the ground.

WVU... well they gave up 13 points, more yards passing than LSU did total, and also didnt even amass 100 yards in the air...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

WVU beat Miss St

Miss ST beat Kentucky

Kentucky beat LSU

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round...

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go again...

Duke beat Northwestern

Northwestern beat Michigan state

michigan state beat pittsburg

pittsburg beat syracuse

syracuse beat louiville

louiville beat cincinatti

cincinatti beat South FLorida

USF beat WVU

WVU beat Miss St

Miss st beat Kentucky

Kentucky beat LSU.

Everyone knows the Duke Blue Devils are better than LSU. Duh!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

WVU beat Miss St

Miss ST beat Kentucky

Kentucky beat LSU

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round...

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go again...

Duke beat Northwestern

Northwestern beat Michigan state

michigan state beat pittsburg

pittsburg beat syracuse

syracuse beat louiville

louiville beat cincinatti

cincinatti beat South FLorida

USF beat WVU

WVU beat Miss St

Miss st beat Kentucky

Kentucky beat LSU.

Everyone knows the Duke Blue Devils are better than LSU. Duh!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! You can't use the transitive property when talking about football. If there was one lesson I could teach every football fan when starting out, it's that the transitive property is a CROCK when applied to football.

I still think that a LSU-v-WVU title game would be a lot more exciting and fun to watch than last year's onslaught. Either way, WVU has a good shot to make it and if they do, I don't want to hear that the polls are BS. At the beginning of the season, we were hammering teams, but yet we still dropped in the polls. I am biased because I am a WVU fan, but I think there are some other fans out there, just maybe, that would like to see WVU's spread offense against that fast Tiger defense.

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the ACC is a little bitter that they don't and won't have a represenative in the top five not to mention the national championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. It is just that there are at least 5 teams in the ACC that could do exactly what WVU is doing. Beat up on WEAK schedule in a WEAK conference, get beat by an AVERAGE South Florida team in week 5, and possibly get to play for a National title.

But I don't know, you all played Mississippi State so you should be ready...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the ACC is a little bitter that they don't and won't have a represenative in the top five not to mention the national championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. It is just that there are at least 5 teams in the ACC that could do exactly what WVU is doing. Beat up on WEAK schedule in a WEAK conference, get beat by an AVERAGE South Florida team in week 5, and possibly get to play for a National title.

But I don't know, you all played Mississippi State so you should be ready...

[/ QUOTE ]

amen.

the ACC is weak this year. People are basing schedule strength for ACC teams on prestige...Miami, FSU, so on. Miami is garbage this year, FSU is garbage, they arent good teams. The ACC is weak and I personally feel that the Big East is the stronger conference of the two.

This is coming from a guy who's favorite team is in the Pac 10 so im not biased.

[ QUOTE ]

the ACC is weak this year. People are basing schedule strength for ACC teams on prestige...Miami, FSU, so on. Miami is garbage this year, FSU is garbage, they arent good teams. The ACC is weak and I personally feel that the Big East is the stronger conference of the two.

This is coming from a guy who's favorite team is in the Pac 10 so im not biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be one of the first to tell you that the ACC is not strong this year, and has been down in the past couple of years. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the top 4 in the ACC this year could do exactly what WVU is doing, given the preseason ranking. Boston College, Clemson, UVA, and Virginia Tech would be very strong favorites to win the Big East, and at any time 2 out of those 4 could run the table in the Big East. Georgia Tech, Wake, Florida State, and even Miami could beat the majority of the teams in the Big East.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be one of the first to tell you that the ACC is not strong this year, and has been down in the past couple of years. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the top 4 in the ACC this year could do exactly what WVU is doing, given the preseason ranking. Boston College, Clemson, UVA, and Virginia Tech would be very strong favorites to win the Big East, and at any time 2 out of those 4 could run the table in the Big East. Georgia Tech, Wake, Florida State, and even Miami could beat the majority of the teams in the Big East.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about Clemson. wink.gif

We've been down this road quite often. The ACC is not bitter; anyone outside of a rabid fan will tell you that the conference is not having one of its stronger years. However, the Big East is right there, tooth and nail, duking it out for least prestigious among the major conferences. The SEC, Big XII, and Pac-10 are the top half, and there's little dispute about that. I say the Big 10/11 is fourth, even though ESPN loves to hype them up.

If nothing else, at least the ACC has an automatic bid to a BCS game. The Big East can't boast of that...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure the winner of the Big East gets a BCS game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. I dont know what he is talking about. Every BCS conference gets an automatic bid. Also Observer, how can you say that the Big Ten is better than the ACC or Big East. The Big 10 isn't very good in my opinion. Ohio St and Illinois are having very good seasons. Other then that they are pertty mediocre. They may be the only conference this year to have two teams lost to Div. 1-AA teams.

My apologies, my last post was definitely not my brightest. I was basing the statement on the Big East off the 2005 version of the BCS eligibility, not the current 2007-2010 eligibility. The source: http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

However, it's not hard to defend my statement that the Big 10/11 is the fourth best conference. I love to bash the Big 10/11 as much as anyone, believe me. However, credit where credit's due. I will state one statistic that is the foundation of my belief. The Big 10/11 fields a whopping ten teams (of a possible 11) that are bowl-eligible; this ties the SEC's ten bowl-eligible teams (of a possible 12). The Big East has just five of eight, and the ACC has just seven of twelve.