WVU in title game?

Bogeavers

Here are the things that have to happen for WVU to play in the national title game.

1. WVU MUST win out.

2. Missouri must upset Kansas and then get beat by Oklahoma in Big 12 title game.

3. One more opportunity will arise is LSU gets beat in their final regular season game against Arkansas or in the SEC title game.

The national title dreams haven't completely disappeared for the Mountaineers. The biggest threat right now, besides, Kansas is Ohio State, who controls their own destiny.

LETS GO............MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Here are the things that have to happen for WVU to play in the national title game.

1. WVU MUST win out.

2. Missouri must upset Kansas and then get beat by Oklahoma in Big 12 title game.

3. One more opportunity will arise is LSU gets beat in their final regular season game against Arkansas or in the SEC title game.

The national title dreams haven't completely disappeared for the Mountaineers. The biggest threat right now, besides, Kansas is Ohio State, who controls their own destiny.

LETS GO............MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first point is a necessity, of course.

Your second point is close, but does not necessarily have to happen that way. Honestly, if Kansas wins and then gets upended by Oklahoma, an Oklahoma win in the Big XII title game should be enough. West Virginia is third in the BCS now, with a .8878 average, while Kansas is second, with a .9488 average. Any Kansas loss will likely shift the tide, since that average is not insurmountable.

Your third point is also valid.

A very good time to be a Mountaineer, I say!

[ QUOTE ]

Just saw the point spread on UCONN. Figured WVU by 10 or 13 but it opens at 17. Sounds good for the EERS. I figure the bookies know more about college football than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bookies know nothing about sports...they know everything about setting the line to where they maximize their dollars...BTW, I'd give the points in a heartbeat...

I believe you would argue with me if I said GMAN is great. Bookies make their money by 50 percent winning and 50 percent losing so that they can keep the 10% add on. If their line is way out of whack and everybody wins then they lose a ton. How many games do you see the point spread vary more than one point from what it opens. Not very many. So i stick to my original statement that they know more about college football than anyone else.

I'm not arguing with you...just correcting you...

Bookies often throw a "bone" out there too for the dogs to chase...its called a "sucker bet". Its when they set a point spread that seems outrageous knowing that more people will jump on it since it is so ridiculous...the dogs will take the bone...that team gets completely blown off the field...the bookies win more $$$$$.

As I said, I'll give the 17 and take WVU all day long against UConn...the game is a mismatch...most people will only look at the records and take the points...losers...

I am glad you clarified. Your post made so much sense. You said they know nothing about college football, but then you talk about how they set the line for a sucker bet. Make up you mind. If they know nothing then how can they set a sucker bet up. I guess by your expert opinion, the line should be what 24, 27, 28. They makes me even happier to know that you think WVU will roll. If you have corrected me, please share other points that I have been wrong on and you right on. I will be waiting .............

3 out of the four above it probably need to lose.

LSU to either Arkansas or in the SEC championship.

WVU to either UCONN or PITT.

Missouri and Kansas is an elimination game with the winner still having to face Oklahoma or Texas.

If the winner or Miss. and Kansas loses the Big 12 title game and eithe LSU or WVU drops one, either Ohio State or Arizona State would be in.

I'd actually take Connecticut with a spread of +17. I guess that's why bookies set the lines!

Here is the result West Virginia's last two games:

November 8, Louisville, W 38-31

November 17, at No. 22 Cincinnati, W 28-23

In the last two weeks, West Virginia has shown a propensity to not close out games as effectively as they should. Connecticut is a better team than Louisville, but not as good overall as Cincinnati, in my opinion (given the loss to Cincinnati). Do I think Connecticut will win? Not at all. I just believe West Virginia is in a trend of winning games in the one-score to two-score range, and I think it'll continue this week against Connecticut. Mountaineers by 10.

No, that won't happen.

Ohio State has no remaining games left on the schedule, and thus, no opportunity to climb the BCS rankings on their own power. Only losses ahead of them could vault Ohio State ahead. The computer rankings also do not deduct for very ugly wins; a win is enough to offset any margin of victory. The only way Ohio State moves ahead of West Virginia is if West Virginia loses.

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone think that Ohio State could jump WVU if WVU struggles but wins their last two games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. The only thing that is going to stop WVU is them losing a game...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone think that Ohio State could jump WVU if WVU struggles but wins their last two games?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are KU or LSU will lose one more game...that conference championship game is going to bite one of them in the ass.

Guest JJBrickface

Also don't count out Arkansas against LSU. If Arkansas wins and McFadden plays well give him the Heisman.

[ QUOTE ]

Missouri and Kansas is an elimination game with the winner still having to face Oklahoma or Texas.

If the winner or Miss. and Kansas loses the Big 12 title game and eithe LSU or WVU drops one, either Ohio State or Arizona State would be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks and i actually like the looks of that, the one least likely to happen is LSU but i think they could lose in the sec championship... the thing is Ohio state if they had lost earlier in the season and finished out by beating michigan you would probably be looking at them number 2 or 3 right now it's just how it goes in the bcs

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks and i actually like the looks of that, the one least likely to happen is LSU but i think they could lose in the sec championship... the thing is Ohio state if they had lost earlier in the season and finished out by beating michigan you would probably be looking at them number 2 or 3 right now it's just how it goes in the bcs

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that the least likely loss to happen would be WVU losing to Pitt or UConn. I would say the most likely to happen would be LSU losing. They play a very streaky Arkansas team and then most likely a good Georgia team for the SEC Championship before they are playing for a national title.

Much to my dismay, I guess it is a great time to be a Mountaineer.

Mizzou's chances got dinged by Oklahoma losing to Texas Tech. If Mizzou beat Kansas (#2) and Oklahoma (#3), then the computers and probably humans would've liked that better than beating UConn (#16) and Pitt (unranked).

Of course if anyone at the start of the season could've guessed that Mizzou, Kansas, and West Virginia were all legit title contenders, they would've been laughed out of the room.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Mizzou's chances got dinged by Oklahoma losing to Texas Tech. If Mizzou beat Kansas (#2) and Oklahoma (#3), then the computers and probably humans would've liked that better than beating UConn (#16) and Pitt (unranked).

Of course if anyone at the start of the season could've guessed that Mizzou, Kansas, and West Virginia were all legit title contenders, they would've been laughed out of the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people considered WVU to be a contender, they were ranked in the preseason top 10. You are right about Kansas for sure and Missouri as well. However with the Big 12 being down a little this year it has opened the door for Kansas and Missouri.