Watering the Field...

BHSnuffsaid

[ QUOTE ]

idk Nuff. but what i do know is that i love you and your sexy sack against Jordan Roberts on the 'watered field'

[/ QUOTE ]

You like his sack?? And you called it sexy??

It is really folks just looking for a reason to whine about something when their team gets beat.

GC practices on their field and the middle school/little league/ everyone else use it all year for their games. The big problem is the weather (except the last couple of years) John Handley started it when the preppies came down for the '94 state championship game with their (prolific?) passing game and the field was in horrible shape.

Now, stupid me i thought the 8 straight days of rain was the culprit that year. NOPE! wrong yet again! It was the coaches! they found time that week to water the field all night long each night (in the midst of pouring rain)because we had nothing else to do. The final score of the game was 12-7 John Handley and GC was on the 1yd line when time ran out (coincidentally the time was being kept on field)and they won. Oh well i thought it was a pretty good game.

NOPE! i was wrong again, all the whining started, because everyone knows they would have beaten GC by 50 points if the field was dry. (they were the only team in the state to have turf on their home field at the time) Probably the first and last time a lot of them ever got dirt on themselves. They pay people to get dirty for them up there.

Now in 1996 we played Brookville at the Bee's home stadium in a true quagmire the temp was mid 20's and it had rained for 3 days (assuming they didn't water the field) it was a very nasty day, and It came down to both teams scoring twice and Brookville managed to make a pat and GC couldn't, i personally thought GC was the far better team, and the mud hurt us. Was that Brookville's fault? of course not, that's weather.

Soo combine the JH game and several bad weather games, 97 semi with Jefferson Forrest that GC won at home in a squeaker that started the (IN)famous Legend of watering the field at GC.

GC has had to play in very bad weather at Rustburg and Brookville, not to mention the 3-2 snow bowl at Radford. I guess that's just mother nature unless you happen to have to play at GC in bad weather, then it has to be cheating.

So that's it from a GC perspective. Since we all live up here in the coalfields as the Roanoke folks say we are all lumped together as cheater or something because everyone knows no one down here could ever have the better team, we have to cheat to win!

[ QUOTE ]

what's the history behind this? i mean, is there a significant game in history that this was actually proven that a team did this, or is it just a popular excuse for losses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Bluefield did so against Scott, at least according to one of their fans/parents... grin.gif

Bluefield cheated because they had better players! That's is just unfair. When it's that unbalanced in talent, the Beavers should have "loaned" the opposing team some of their players to keep them from crying all the way through Sunday!

I can remember both Martinsville and especially Nottoway crying about the field at TAZEWELL being watered down in 86 playoffs. I say if you are going to play in swva in november and december....better be prepared for a wet field. That is just the way mother natured intended our end of the state to be at this time of year. I guess the whining worked though, cause now the state championship games have been taken from the home team and moved ot a central location where the rain wont be a factor(artificial surfaces.) In short...yeah those people who claim that rain is the cause of their loss are crybabies.

I had a coach that many in this community (Richlands) and in the Tazewell community Respected and absolutly loved (dearly not queerly) tell me at an early age (8Th Grade) "It's football, It's a man's game if it weren't all kinds of sissies would play!!!!" Gotta love GO_GO Y'all know who he is.

[ QUOTE ]

I had a coach that many in this community (Richlands) and in the Tazewell community Respected and absolutly loved (dearly not queerly) tell me at an early age (8Th Grade) "It's football, It's a man's game if it weren't all kinds of sissies would play!!!!" Gotta love GO_GO Y'all know who he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 4 years for Tommy Goforth and he was a great motivator. His leaving Tazewell conicided with the slide THS has been in since their run of great teams in the 80"s.

If i was upset about losing 41-6 in the semi-finals of the playoffs after talking crap. when my team only has one decent player. I'd make excuses for losing too. the story is that roberts had a decent game and he cant carry his team all the time

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played 4 years for Tommy Goforth and he was a great motivator. His leaving Tazewell conicided with the slide THS has been in since their run of great teams in the 80"s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know where he is at now? I would like to see him again. i heard that he went out to central VA but not for sure. just for old times sake (Flamingo Poontang!!!!!!!! LOL)