WVU vs Radford

Guest JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Big South... same as Winthrop, Coastal Carolina, VMI, Liberty, and so on...

Winthrop represented the conference last year and beat Notre dame but then lost to pregon...

[/ QUOTE ]

WVU played Winthrop this year. Winthrop didn't look too impressive in that particular game but I could see how they could be a threat to some teams. Other then that I dont know who is good in the big South.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Winthrop is down this year!!!!! And I went up to DC to watch the G-Town/Radford game, G-town will run away with the Big East.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you haven't seen Pitt play.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I have and I think G-town is the 2nd best team in the country. #1 being Memphis.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how people just happen to forget about Roys Boys down in chapel hill...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have and I think G-town is the 2nd best team in the country. #1 being Memphis.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also what I forgot to mention was that UNC is my favorite team.

My top 3 are:

1. Memphis

2. Georgetown

3. UNC

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also what I forgot to mention was that UNC is my favorite team.

My top 3 are:

1. Memphis

2. Georgetown

3. UNC

[/ QUOTE ]

its early in the season, and i dont see either memphis or georgetown getting any better. on the other hand, carolina is full of younger players that continually will grow.

there is not a better coach in the country, nor a more talented team than unc. this team is deep, real deep and it is scary.

unc is the team to beat, period. i dont care about the g-town and memphis because it was a game in december when nothing really matters, and will not effect the final outcome...

people talk every year about memphis basketball, but in the end, how many final fours have they been to...hmmm only one in 1985... shistory repeats itself, and it will again. a high ranked memphis will not make the final four this year, mark my words.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

no one is forgetting about UNC. I just think everyone is forgetting about Memphis beating Georgetown

[/ QUOTE ]

which was at home in december. it really has no reflection. lets face it, memphis plays gonzaga, arizona, and georgetown all at home. besides that all they play are conference teams that are not comparable to any possible ncaa tournament foes.

Memphis is still nasty. They run an offense that hardly anyone can stop. This team is different from the ones in the past. Although those ones were great teams, I believe this one will go further and get into the NC and possibly win it. As far as them not having younger players to develop, they have Derrick Rose. Need I say more?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Memphis is still nasty. They run an offense that hardly anyone can stop. This team is different from the ones in the past. Although those ones were great teams, I believe this one will go further and get into the NC and possibly win it. As far as them not having younger players to develop, they have Derrick Rose. Need I say more?

[/ QUOTE ]

as for offenses, they will not win you a national championship...

somewhere down the line you are going to have a off shooting night and thats where defense comes in...

not only is unc a better offensive team then memphis averaging 12 more points a game, they also have been committed to team defense.

roy response to one of the last blowout wins was, tomorrow we are gonna see how many people can throw up in practice after that defensive effort.

unc is loaded with almost 5 people scoring double digits for them every night, memphis has 2.

memphis may have one true talent to develop, but unc has 8.

I still think Memphis is crazy tough. Them beating Georgetown, home or not, is a tough task and they did it winning by 14. When you beat a Big East power by 14, dominating them the entire game, that's saying soething. UNC is very tough and im in no way trying to take anything away from them. I just think Memphis is the team to beat.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I still think Memphis is crazy tough. Them beating Georgetown, home or not, is a tough task and they did it winning by 14. When you beat a Big East power by 14, dominating them the entire game, that's saying soething. UNC is very tough and im in no way trying to take anything away from them. I just think Memphis is the team to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont care if memphis beat the boston celtics. its one game that meant absolutely nothing, especially to georgetown. its a game in december, during exams, and in the format of which the ncaa basketball is set up it really means nothing. georgetown has a whole conference slate to play. memphis does not and needed that win for a possible 1 seed in the tournament. it was also on memphis' home court.

but here is why memphis is not the team to beat, and not the national championship team everyone thinks they are...

first off, you have to be effective from the free throw line. memphis is not, shooting under 60 percent from the line...

memphis has allowed teams to shoot over 40 percent from the field multiple times, which will cause many teams to lose games. i believe that a team should allow a shooting percentage under 40 percent, if you look at most nat champ. teams they fo that...

also, memphis does not shoot the three ball very well. if a team can stop penetration and slow the ball down limiting shots on the other end of the court, memphis is in trouble.

that is why they will lose and carolina is the team to beat.

carolina shoots over 70 percent i believe from the line, almost 40 from behind the arc, and they are committed to defense and work on it every day. unc can run the court or have a half court game especially with hansborough in the post. unc has all the tools, making them the team to beat.

Guest JJBrickface

The last time I checked there are 64/65 teams who will have a chance to play for the national title in March. It really does not make sense to talk about 2 or 3 teams when so many have a chance. Anyone can lose on any given night. There is still a lot of basketball left to be played.

if the game was of no importance why did Hibbert play 27 minutes, Summers 32 minutes, and Ewing Jr. with 21. All of their starters played no less than 21 minutes in that game. Every game is important, especially in the Big East, where you have arguably the strongest conference in basketball and if you dont succeed very well there, you need to do well in out of conference games. Of course this game was important because it featured the #2 and #4 ranked teams and both of the teams being two of the most feared. There is no unimportant game. I think what youre doing is trying to set up some sort of justification if UNC loses to where you can say "oh it wasnt an important game, wait til later in the season."

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

if the game was of no importance why did Hibbert play 27 minutes, Summers 32 minutes, and Ewing Jr. with 21. All of their starters played no less than 21 minutes in that game. Every game is important, especially in the Big East, where you have arguably the strongest conference in basketball and if you dont succeed very well there, you need to do well in out of conference games. Of course this game was important because it featured the #2 and #4 ranked teams and both of the teams being two of the most feared. There is no unimportant game. I think what youre doing is trying to set up some sort of justification if UNC loses to where you can say "oh it wasnt an important game, wait til later in the season."

[/ QUOTE ]

no justification. this game really meant nothing. no one game can determine who make the NCAA tournament.

as for the REAL matter at hand, you said Memphis was the team to beat and lets not forget that but here is why they arent...

1. They shoot 59% from the free throw line.

2. They allow teams to shoot well. 6 out of 10 teams shot over 40% on them, including a 53% effort by AUSTIN PEAY.

3. Memphis will not be tested come tourney time with playing teams from conference USA.

4. Their school has only been to one final four, in 1985, their coach only one, so they have no experience at that venue.

However, UNC on the other hand, averages 12 more points a game than memphis,(#2 in the counrty in scoring) is experienced with a national champion on the team along with a NC winning coaching staff, shoots 73% from the charity stripe, held opponents to 40% or under shooting 74% of the time, and forces just under 20 turnovers a game while only committing 14 a game, which i will say is two less than memphis. they also have a positive assist to TO ratio.

So basically, i think that you realize that UNC, especially on paper, is the better ball team, but you are trying to use ONE GAME, to justify the fact that you think memphis is better...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

When you beat a Big East power by 14, dominating them the entire game, that's saying soething.

[/ QUOTE ]

well considering they only dominated the last 15 minutes really, what do you say about that?

Memphis did not dominate the whole game, they were down 8 with three minutes left in the first half, and were losing somewhat early in the second (15:40) until memphis went on a run scoring 9 straight points...hmmm... dominating the entire game you say?

BTW, Memphis started the game 1 for 12 from the field.

beating a team like Georgetown is a statement. Memphis is far from being my favorite team so im not just saying this to boost my own moral. Im saying this because I feel that they are the team to beat. Every year there is that one game that can completely turn a team around or turn that team into something good. Beating Georgetown, #4 in the country, Big East favorite, no matter at home or when it is played, is HUGE.

[ QUOTE ]

beating a team like Georgetown is a statement. Memphis is far from being my favorite team so im not just saying this to boost my own moral. Im saying this because I feel that they are the team to beat. Every year there is that one game that can completely turn a team around or turn that team into something good. Beating Georgetown, #4 in the country, Big East favorite, no matter at home or when it is played, is HUGE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Memphis is a very good team this year, but I don't think that they will be battle tested when it comes to tournament time. They played a good second half against Georgetown, but didn't dominate them as you make it sound. Georgetown was the better team for the whole first half and the first part of the second half. They were not impressive in the first part of the game because they were forced to play a half court game. If Memphis every gets into a slow tempo game, much like Bluefield, then they are in trouble. Georgetown played right into their hands by turning the ball over and letting the game get into a foot race. The one thing that G'town shouldn't have let happen, it happened.

Secondly, I wouldn't consider Memphis the team to beat because their schedule will leave them very susceptible when it comes tournament time. When you play the likes of Marshall, Rice, Central Florida and others like that then you are not challenged to your full potential night in and night out.

In this debate I would consider Carolina, or anyone in the ACC for that matter, the most battle tested when it comes tournament time. They go through the gauntlet in conference play and it proves almost every year when at least one team from the ACC advances very far in the "Big Dance." I would even go as far to say that even though Georgetown lost to Memphis they still have a better chance of making it farther in the NCAA Tourney because of who they play in their conference.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Big South, we will make some noise this year in the BSC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football...Big South...Big East...same thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL .....I thought some people were somewhat knowledgeable of football on this board. I found one that isn't lol j/k.