bluefield/pikeview round 1

twopac

well its bluefield and a surprising 4-0 pikeview team in the championship game at BSC..any chance that pikeview hangs tight with bluefield for 4 qtrs?? the 2 teams also play next thurs. to open the christmas tourney in princeton and they also have a home/home series to be played on Jan.8 and jan 22, oh and did i mention that we may have to play em in sectionals as well, i'm sorry but the possibility of playing a team 5 times is crazy..

playing a team 5 times in one season is pretty crazy. i see Bluefield winning all of those though. Pikeview cannot drive to the basket, Bluefield can and with the way Pikeviews defense played tonight against MV, I wouldnt be surprised if the game is 20+ in the beavers favor. pikeview is slow and they only have shooters. You stop the perimeter and you stop Pikeview's offense.

bluefield can shoot the ball, they just choose to look down low for more options and to drive the lane. Turquan and Craig are great shooters, and consider the fact that they have knocked down numerous jumpers in the first two games this year. Ansel can definitely shoot the ball, but he being are main big man he gets the ball alot down low. Turquan and Craig definitely showed off tonight on how they can kill you with great drives or hit a shot. Shaun Brooks is clearly not known as a shooter and in my opinion should stick to driving to the basket, but in the two games this season he has missed 3 dunks and hit 2 three pointers. Turquan and Craig and great players, true guards that can hurt you with the pass, the drive and the shot. Ansel is just a threat all around and hasnt shown us his jumpshot ability yet.

Bluefield and PikeView met five times back around 2002 or so with Bluefield winning all five. That was the last year the two played one another in the regular season b/c of some dirty play from PikeView, trying to intentionally injury Bluefield players. There were some ugly incidents during that season between those two.

As for the game tonight, do not underestimate the ability of PikeView. The fact that they're a good shooting team should be of serious concern. Bluefield will need to turn the game into a track meet and control tempo with its pressure defense. If PikeView is allowed to control tempo and the game turns into a halfcourt affair that's big advantage PV in my opinion. I like what Havens is doing defensively thus far this season. The lazy defense that Gilliard's team played is long gone...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

bluefield can shoot the ball, they just choose to look down low for more options and to drive the lane. Turquan and Craig are great shooters, and consider the fact that they have knocked down numerous jumpers in the first two games this year. Ansel can definitely shoot the ball, but he being are main big man he gets the ball alot down low. Turquan and Craig definitely showed off tonight on how they can kill you with great drives or hit a shot. Shaun Brooks is clearly not known as a shooter and in my opinion should stick to driving to the basket, but in the two games this season he has missed 3 dunks and hit 2 three pointers. Turquan and Craig and great players, true guards that can hurt you with the pass, the drive and the shot. Ansel is just a threat all around and hasnt shown us his jumpshot ability yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can shoot, but not well enough to have a decisive victory if the penetration gets shut down.

yeah. but shutting down penetration when youre pikeview is easier said than done. their defense really didnt impress me last night against mv. mv missed way too many open shots. i believe that our speed and slashing ability will be too much for them tonight

They may be able to shoot well enough to beat Pike View, but like JJBrickface, I think that it will need to get better when they face the likes of Logan, Westside, and the other top level teams in AA that Bluefield will face. Their shooting must get better. They missed enough dunks and lay-ups vs. C'burg to score 100 points last night.

If this team can make it happen on the defensive end and play smart on the offensive end by pounding the ball down low, or letting C. Ponder and Casey drive then they will be successful on the offensive end. I think that they can be a very good team throughout the season and be even better when it comes to tournament time, but it going to take a much better effort than they showed last night.

yeah i feel ya on the missing layups and such. Craig was on all night, but Shaun airballed a fingerroll and missed two dunks. Ansel I believe missed two layups but one of those resulted in a rebound by Turquan and a made shot so it was all good.

Tre has had off games these first two. We need to find someone to get in that 3 position and do some good cause both Powell and Tre havent done anything to impress anyone so far.

Baker is a role player. He goes in and he plays good defense and will hustle, and that is what is needed and is respected. In my opinion, I think that Marcus Patterson will find his way into the rotation because of his hustle. He is a bit more polished when it comes to scoring too. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Patterson starting, or seeing significant playing time, as the season progresses.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

bluefield has to start shooting better... We havent had a team to shut down penetration, but we will sooner or later. and when we do, we are in trouble. Casey is a below average shooter, and yes craig is a good shooter, but he has struggled. I believe he is shooting around 25% from behind the arc.

but the main thing that this team lacks is Discipline. I thought that this wouldnt be a problem but i was wrong. Coach Havens has no control over this team right now, and at times it def shows...

Bluefield was very very off tonight and didnt show hardly any discipline. They were firing up shots that they shouldnt have taken and werent executing very well. The foul calling was just a tad bit sketchy in my opinion as Craig Ponder fouled out and he is never, ever in foul trouble. The one foul called on Brooks when he was pushed from behind while going for ball still confuses the balls otuta me. We just didnt look good tonight, plain and simple, but we got the W and thats what matters.

My analysis on tonight's game was that Pike View sat in a zone all night and limited penetration, forcing Bluefield to shoot the ball, and Bluefield didn't want to challenge any shots and get in the face of any defender almost all night long. Pike View is a decent team, but Bluefield will not get many wins this season and can kiss a state tournament appearance goodbye if things do not change. About the only positive thing you can get out of tonight is that they did make free throws at the end of the game when they counted, while they shot poorly the entire game before that.

yes I agree. we have room for improvement though. Powell needs to stay off the floor as I believe Patterson should be on instead, and Brooks needs to stop trying to control the ball. There have been sometimes this year where Shaun will try and take it upcourt when our point guard has to yell at him from 5 feet away to get the ball and set things up. This cannot continue. We also need to do a better job of preparation. Pikeviews big men were absolutely horrible and we did not hardly expose them tonight. Ansel had position whenever it was designed for him but we ran too many plays without a design for something down low. If there were ever a night where we should have fed Brooks and Ponder the ball in the post, tonight was it and we didnt.

You are right. I see much room for improvement with this team, and if things get clicking it could be a great season for the Beavers. It is just kind of hard not to be critical when you see the small things that hold Bluefield back. Because we have seen them so much these past couple of years we know exactly what it can do to a team.

I still think that Havens can do a very good job with this team, he is still getting used to the waters. Next week's tournament should be a great experience for him. If he thinks he has coached in a hostile environment already then he will be in for a surprise when he takes a ride to Princeton!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

you wanna know why bluefield almost lost tonight?

THEY HAVE ZERO DISCIPLINE.

Their shot selection was horrible and played lazy defense all night. There was no weak side help most of the time, and no one ever boxed out. Once they get a little fire under their a$$ they will be ok, and quit playing stupid basketball.

also, i would like to know how many assisted baskets bluefield had, i believe it would be very low.

If they can take good shots, and play good tight pressure defense on all 94 feet of the court they will be alright. Right now there are no reigns on this team and it it killing them.

BTW, bluefield was 1 for 15 from behind the arc...

BTW, bluefield was 1 for 15 from behind the arc...

[/ QUOTE ]shaun brooks made that one, i think it hurt blfd a lot t/n having craig ponder in foul trouble, it seemed like the team was in a better flow with him in the game

I said several weeks ago that Bluefield didn't have any consistent outside shooters and someone argued that they did. They don't, period. Yes, they have a player or two that can get hot and knock down a string of them, but no one that can night in and night out consistently put the ball in the hoop from deep. And they had better get used to seeing a zone defense b/c they're going to see it 95% of the time this season.