bluefield/pikeview round 1

twopac

[ QUOTE ]

No discipline huh? Is that due to the coach or the fact that some of them have only been at for a couple of weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like coaching to me...

Best way to beat a zone D when you don't have outside shooters? Pressure defense when the other team has the ball and transition on turnovers and missed shots not allowing the other team to get back and set up...RUN FOREST, RUN!!!!

Hey coach...maybe this will help...

[ QUOTE ]

At Arkansas it was known as "40 minutes of hell." They called it "the fastest 40 minutes of basketball" at UAB. Missouri fans haven't gotten a chance to take a crack at the next label yet, but new coach Mike Anderson promises they will.

Anderson says he plans to employ the same style of play with the Tigers.

That means constant full-court pressure. Defensive traps in every corner. Pushing the pace at all times.

"We are going to try and play the way we have always played," Anderson told Rivals.com. "It's going to be a process, and I'm going to have to be patient with the first part, but we are going to get at it. We will pick up at 94 feet and play up-tempo."

That type of approach must sound familiar to SEC fans.

They watched Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl bring his brand of "controlled chaos" to the SEC last season. Pearl helped turn the Volunteers from a losing team to SEC East champs.

Anderson's believes his system will work in the Big 12, and he has established a pattern of success.

In 1980, Nolan Richardson landed his first Division I head coaching job at Tulsa. One of his first moves was to convince Anderson, then a scrappy, undersized point guard, to join him. The two had faced each other in the final of the national junior college tournament earlier that year.

Anderson was the prefect fit for Richardson's team. They pressed nonstop and constantly subbed players in and out. Their offense was built on easy baskets, and opponents began wearing down in the final minutes.

Tulsa ended up winning the NIT that year. The next season produced a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Anderson became an assistant on Richardson's staff at Tulsa and followed him to Arkansas in 1985. There, they made their frenetic style of play famous. The system carried the Razorbacks to the 1994 national title.

"I've seen how the blueprint played out with coach Richardson at Tulsa and Arkansas and what it did at UAB," Anderson said. "Now I envision taking what we did and using it at Mizzou."

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT'S how Bluefield should play EVERY GAME...

Craig Ponder being in foul trouble killed us. Also having Jacob Powell in there to fill in didnt help any either cause he is absolutely terrible. When you go from a kid in Craig who can run up and down the court and is a true triple threat to a kid in Powell who cant do anything right, it hurts. Also Shaun wanting to control the ball is killing. He should never EVER be the one to control and try to set up things or take outside shots. Yes, I know SOMEHOW this year he has gotten more threes than dunks, but soon all his misses of those threes will catch up with him. Our defense needs to improve and so does our coaching from the bench. Those are the two things I see that are most detrimental.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No discipline huh? Is that due to the coach or the fact that some of them have only been at for a couple of weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like coaching to me...

Best way to beat a zone D when you don't have outside shooters? Pressure defense when the other team has the ball and transition on turnovers and missed shots not allowing the other team to get back and set up...RUN FOREST, RUN!!!!

Hey coach...maybe this will help...

[ QUOTE ]

At Arkansas it was known as "40 minutes of hell." They called it "the fastest 40 minutes of basketball" at UAB. Missouri fans haven't gotten a chance to take a crack at the next label yet, but new coach Mike Anderson promises they will.

Anderson says he plans to employ the same style of play with the Tigers.

That means constant full-court pressure. Defensive traps in every corner. Pushing the pace at all times.

"We are going to try and play the way we have always played," Anderson told Rivals.com. "It's going to be a process, and I'm going to have to be patient with the first part, but we are going to get at it. We will pick up at 94 feet and play up-tempo."

That type of approach must sound familiar to SEC fans.

They watched Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl bring his brand of "controlled chaos" to the SEC last season. Pearl helped turn the Volunteers from a losing team to SEC East champs.

Anderson's believes his system will work in the Big 12, and he has established a pattern of success.

In 1980, Nolan Richardson landed his first Division I head coaching job at Tulsa. One of his first moves was to convince Anderson, then a scrappy, undersized point guard, to join him. The two had faced each other in the final of the national junior college tournament earlier that year.

Anderson was the prefect fit for Richardson's team. They pressed nonstop and constantly subbed players in and out. Their offense was built on easy baskets, and opponents began wearing down in the final minutes.

Tulsa ended up winning the NIT that year. The next season produced a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Anderson became an assistant on Richardson's staff at Tulsa and followed him to Arkansas in 1985. There, they made their frenetic style of play famous. The system carried the Razorbacks to the 1994 national title.

"I've seen how the blueprint played out with coach Richardson at Tulsa and Arkansas and what it did at UAB," Anderson said. "Now I envision taking what we did and using it at Mizzou."

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT'S how Bluefield should play EVERY GAME...

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed on the 40 minutes of hell... beaver can run that all night as well because they can go deep into their bench which they havent lately.

as for the coaching, i believe it is their fault. mainly because of the fact that havens thought he was not wanted at BHS so he tried to befriend the players.the thing is, once you do that, you cant yell at them like you would as their coach.

i know the former UNC coach matt doherty had a problem with this all through his tenure at unc. it was questioned if he was wanted as well when he got there.

point of the matter is, havens has to get this team to play REAL pressure defense and take good shots. no fadeaways from behind the basket, stupid threes by brooks, or tre baker throwing up his usual stuff.

this team must play with aggression and desire on the defensive end, but yet with control on offense.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Not a fit, just pointing out what needs to be fixed. Its early in the season dude and the team needs to iron out some problems...

I blame being lazy on the kids as well though...

They have alot of players on the bench but none of them can play. When Craig goes out of the game Bluefield is terrible. If the opposing team pressures the ball when he's out they will be in trouble. Patterson is not bad but he's a little out of control and can't run the team. Ansel needs to get more touches especially when his brother has to sit for any reason. They gave him the ball down the stretch and we all saw the results but I still say it's going to be a long night for them if they play a good team and Craig has to sit.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

I said several weeks ago that Bluefield didn't have any consistent outside shooters and someone argued that they did. They don't, period. Yes, they have a player or two that can get hot and knock down a string of them, but no one that can night in and night out consistently put the ball in the hoop from deep. And they had better get used to seeing a zone defense b/c they're going to see it 95% of the time this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually been saying this for a few years now. Bluefield has not been productive "shooting" the ball. We have had players in the past few years capable of shooting well but they just didnt in games. I would be interested in seeing the 3 pt field goal percentages from the past years. I may be wrong but I would expect them to be very low.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I said several weeks ago that Bluefield didn't have any consistent outside shooters and someone argued that they did. They don't, period. Yes, they have a player or two that can get hot and knock down a string of them, but no one that can night in and night out consistently put the ball in the hoop from deep. And they had better get used to seeing a zone defense b/c they're going to see it 95% of the time this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually been saying this for a few years now. Bluefield has not been productive "shooting" the ball. We have had players in the past few years capable of shooting well but they just didnt in games. I would be interested in seeing the 3 pt field goal percentages from the past years. I may be wrong but I would expect them to be very low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to agree to disagree with you on this. The past couple of years Bluefield has had some very good shooters. Most recently, Dexter Moore, Kyle Hammond, and Justin Harris could shoot the ball. Before that, Johnathan Repass, Kelly Mariotti, Ken Bogart were all very exceptional shooters too. None of these guys were the greatest shooters in the state or Division 1 talent, other than Moore, but they were all good enough to knock down open shots and be dangerous offensive threats. Their shooting, along with the team's talent, were all good enough to compete for state titles. In my opinion, it was execution, both players and coaching, that held the Beavers from maximizing their potential.

But A Christmas Story is on now, so I must go! A Very Merry Christmas to all!