Who Will Win The ACC In College Basketball This Year?

bluefieldRocks

Who will win?  

1. 1. Who will win?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

If Duke Can Stop Carolinas Big Men We Might Be Alrite but it will be tough

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm... maybe you didnt watch the clemson game. One of UNC's big men was at home tending to a family sickness, tyler got shut down, and yet we still won. Stop the big men, you still have Danny Green, Wayne ellignton, ty lawson. all of those guys average double digits.

I'd set the line at Carolina -4.5, given that everyone on the Tar Heels is healthy. I can't wait to watch this game: Carolina and Duke are heads and shoulders above everyone in the ACC.

Almost everyone, except Kenny George from North Carolina-Asheville. The Tarheels had some fun with that! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but for the whole link, try:

George has his fun between the :55 and 1:14 marks. Just like swatting flies! And, to be fair, North Carolina didn't kill them, either...

[/ QUOTE ]

A win is a win. They aren't going to blow everyone out that they play. They'll have off nights like they did against UNC-A. However, the game was never in doubt...

North Carolina having an "off night" is questionable. Defense, perhaps: Asheville shot 53% from the field. Offensively, I don't think so. You could make the case for individual players, like Thompson (3-14 FG) and Ginyard only being 1-4 from the line. Hansbrough had 23, Ellington had 19, and Lawson had 17. 93 points from the Tar Heels is hardly an "off night". Beats their season average, am I right?

Personally, I think what happened was that the Tar Heels ran into an Asheville team that was better than anticipated. Yes, I agree that the game was never in doubt; from the scoring track provided by ESPN, it appeared that North Carolina got out to a lead and just kept Asheville at bay.

However, senior Bryan Smithson lit the Heels up for 25 points on 67% shooting; he was totally on his game. Garland had 14, James had 11, and George had 14 off the bench on top of a game high 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. This team isn't a bunch of complete stiffs. Don't be surprised if Asheville gives Winthrop all they can handle when the Big South tourney comes around. If there is an upset in the making, that would be it.

North Carolina is a superior, and perhaps even a national-title-worthy, team. No doubt about that. However, give Asheville some credit, too.

I never discredited Asheville, so please don't imply that I did. And teams can have off-nights on the defensive end of the floor just as they can on the offensive end. George really changed the momentum of the game when he entered as he altered what would have been 10-15 easy baskets inside for the Heels. And then of course Asheville hit key baskets to keep Carolina from getting the lead above 15-16 points throughout the night.

I didn't mean to imply that you were discrediting Asheville. I spent about 20 minutes after originally typing my post revising it to take that sentiment out. Certainly not my intent, and I apologize for that.

It just seemed to me that you thought North Carolina should have steamrolled Asheville, and that anything less constituted an off-night. That's definitely not the case. That's the only reason I upheld Asheville.

Other than that, we're cool. Best of luck to the Tarheels, except the night they visit John Paul Jones arena!

[ QUOTE ]

John Paul Jones arena!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of the first people to ever walk in to that place because me and a friend went to UVA B-ball camp and they just got done with and they gave us a tour. It was really nice. Me and that same friend also saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers there.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I think Duke can spread the floor on UNC and force Hansboro to get his bugged eyes away from the basket and guard someone

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just watched the Carolina game vs. Valparaiso then you might change your philosophy. Their second half performance was one of the most dominating outings I can recall in a long, long time. If Carolina plays with the way they did tonight with Danny Green and the other role players filling in nicely, despite the loss of Frasor, then Tyler Hansbrough will be the least of your worries.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Valparaiso! They should dominate them

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So you're saying VT is going to beat the likes of UNC,Duke, Miami in basketball this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's saying they won't be 0-16 in ACC play...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a good call since they beat Maryland today

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So you're saying VT is going to beat the likes of UNC,Duke, Miami in basketball this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's saying they won't be 0-16 in ACC play...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a good call since they beat Maryland today

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yeh...that's what GHS06's post was inferring.

'Rocks didn't understand what he meant in his post since he did use some "incorrect" language in wording the statement.

I was only clarifying what GHS06 meant, that VT would not go 0-16 now since they DID beat Maryland.

1-15 is still a possibility though...

[ QUOTE ]

Duke and Uva Play 2moro down in cameron! if sean singletary can score at least 25 pts. i think uva could have a chance otherwise no chance

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much on the mark, and as a Virginia fan, I'll freely admit that.

On the offensive end, Singletary needs a 25-6-8 night in order for Virginia to have a chance to pull out the upset. Mamadi Diane needs to take some of that load off Singletary from the 2/3 spot; he has the range to do it, but he's far more inconsistent than Virginia fans had hoped this season, though he is a staggering 50.9% from three-point range. Adrian Joseph has come on strong, averaging 12.6 points (2nd-team) and 7.7 rebounds (team best) per game; a big night from him is crucial, and if he gets the stroke going from the 3 and/or establishes an inside presence from the 4, this could help Virginia's bid for an upset. Calvin Baker has been welcome help off the bench, and Mike Scott has done well inside, with 6.2 boards per game.

On the defensive end, I sure hope Dave Leitao lit a fire under their behinds after that shameful performance against Xavier. No heart, no fire on the court that night. Good, solid defensive play is Leitao's cup-of-tea, and I expect better at Cameron.

Frankly, if Virginia can hold Duke to 65-70, an upset might be more likely. If Duke goes much over 70, Virginia doesn't stand a chance. I'm hopeful, but I certainly don't expect to see the team walk away with the win.

On the bright side, Virginia Tech plays Maryland again! wink.gif

With games left against a staggeringly-bad Georgia Tech team, and point-guard-less North Carolina State team, a rematch with Wake Forest, and a possible win at home against Boston College, 16-14 might not be impossible by the time the ACC tournament rolls around, which would lock up a postseason bid of some sort. That would be fantastic for the Hokies.

That is, if everything falls just right...