Witt resigns as James Monroe football coach

GMan

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_024222912.html

Witt resigns as James Monroe football coach

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — David Witt led James Monroe to the Class AA state championship game last December, a first since the school was created through consolidation in 1994.

That game proved to be his last. Witt, who recently completed his fifth season as head coach at James Monroe in Lindside, has resigned. His reasons are simple and to the point.

“You can’t coach forever. I don’t want to coach until I die,” said Witt, who has also cited health issues for his departure. “It was just time to step aside.”

Witt led the Mavericks to a 53-10 mark in five seasons, with his last game being in the biggest game of all, a 20-12 loss to Bluefield in the Class AA title game.

“You’ve rather that be your last game than be 0-10 and have the 10th game of the season be your last game,” Witt said. “I enjoyed coaching in big games and that was certainly a big game.”

Even though Witt is only 48, he’s been involved in football for 21 years. He spent two years as an assistant under Donnie Jackson before taking his place in 2003. Witt will remain as a teacher and athletic director at the school.

“This is the end of an era as far as James Monroe High School football is concerned,” Monroe County Superintendent of Schools Lyn Guy said. “He took over the reigns from Don Jackson and kept up the program incredibly well and did an outstanding job.

“He has supported academics and molded the behavior of his players and I’ve enjoyed watching the games too. He’s done incredible work and we’re going to miss him.”

All the Mavericks did under Witt was compile records of 7-4, 10-2, 12-1, 12-1 and 12-2. James Monroe reached the playoffs each season, qualifying for the state semifinals in 2005 and 2006, and then reaching Wheeling in December. That was the first state football championship appearance for a Monroe County school since Peterstown won it all in 1992.

“I didn’t really have any expectations when I started, but at the same time, I’m not surprised with success,” Witt said. “You take the job and you work at it one day at a time in the offseason and one day at a time during the season in practice and with the games.

“When all is said and done, you sit back and look and see what your accomplishments have been and that’s been our approach from the first day to the last.”

While Witt mentioned James Monroe’s semifinal win in November over undefeated and defending champion Wayne as a fond memory, the sweetest memories are the relationships he’s developed.

“The highlight has been working with the type of kids that we have here at James Monroe,” he said, “and working with the assistants and the coaching staff.”

Not only did Witt bringing a winning approach, but also installed the single wing offense at James Monroe. That brought plenty of yards, points and wins to the Mavericks. Witt estimates the run-oriented offense averaged around 350 yards per game, while the often overlooked defense was just as effective in holding the opposition down.

“We haven’t been a team that stood on one thing,” Witt said. “The quality of our defense has been equal to the quality of our offense and it’s been just as important to our success.”

The same can be said for Witt, according to Guy, who accepted his resignation with regret.

“I called him when I got his letter. I’m deeply saddened by this,” Guy said. “Not only have the players and the program lost a good coach, but he’s also a good person to nurture the young men in that program.

“He’s just an incredible, strong individual, who has silently molded a lot of young men and I really hate that his health has warranted that resignation.”

Witt’s efforts in developing solid citizens — moreso than wins and losses — are what he wants his legacy to be at James Monroe.

“I told them lots of times that for me, records and wins and losses weren’t what I was focused on,” Witt said. “My focus was trying to teach kids to do things the way they needed to be done in order to be successful.

“If you do that, the success part of it will take care of itself. If you do that, then you’ve been successful, whether you win a game or not.”

Note: In other James Monroe news, Guy confirmed that Mavericks’ boys basketball coach Jason Mathis has been suspended, although she couldn’t elaborate on the details.

Guy added that there will be hearing on the Mathis situation on Monday.

“He has not been fired, he has been suspended and there is a hearing scheduled for Monday night,” Guy said. “Between now and then I really can’t tell you much more than that.”

Mike Hines is serving as James Monroe’s acting head boys basketball coach, according to Guy.

I hate to hear this. Maybe the James Monroe fans that wanted him gone now are happy. I hope his health problems arent too serious. Next year it will be interesting to see if the new JM hc will run the single wing.

[ QUOTE ]

I would say unreal expectations and unappreciative fans have more to do with the resignation than health reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Bluefield Basketball Fans...lol

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I would say unreal expectations and unappreciative fans have more to do with the resignation than health reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...Bluefield fans are often the proverbial pot calling the kettle black.

Health problems? First I've heard of that.

This didn't really come as that big of a surprise, there've been rumors going around about this for about 3 months. Hopefully if there are any problems they aren't too serious.

How much he'll be missed remains to be seen. Witt was overall a pretty good coach, but like his predicessor, had a bad habit of making poor decisions in critical moments of big games, especially the playoffs, the championship game was the most recent example. Still I wish him the best in being AD and his teaching career, and good health.

As for who will get the job, I won't speculate other than to say it'll probably take 1-2 months for them to decide, and I'd be a little surprised if the single wing is used in Monroe Co. in 2008. Witt was pretty much the technition in setting that up. Plus that, it's still not a popular offense with many, even some of Witt's assitants didn't care much for it.

I just hope whoever we get can finally get the team over the hump.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, Bluefield doesnt have unreal expectations. We actually get to state championships, state tournaments, etc. You havent up until this year and then you lost...to Bluefield.

so in the kind words of OSU's head coach, get your facts straight.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's time for JM to run the spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't.

At leat not the WVU stile spread offense. It's fun to watch if you've got the athletes the likes of Pat White and Noel Devine, but if you don't it's a disaster, ask Princeton and Narrows about that. And Scott high school will be lucky to win 3 games running that without Roberts.

I think going to more of an I-formation would work best. Weir ran that formation with a 3 WR spread a few years back, and ran it very well. James Monroe IMO would have the personell to run something like that in 2008. Should the single wing stay, which I don't think it will, we'll have a lot of rebuilding to do the make it work right, even with Robertson and Keisel returning.

that i-formation would be a pretty good fit imo, however, id be concerned that they would still just run the ball and never have the threat of throwing. Everytime I saw Robertson throw the ball, when it was completed, was to a completely wide open receiver and was a dying duck in the air. He has never proven to me that he can squeeze a ball into coverage or hit a receiver in stride.

I think with whatever James Monroe decides to do with their offense it will take a lot of work to perfect.

[ QUOTE ]

that i-formation would be a pretty good fit imo, however, id be concerned that they would still just run the ball and never have the threat of throwing. Everytime I saw Robertson throw the ball, when it was completed, was to a completely wide open receiver and was a dying duck in the air. He has never proven to me that he can squeeze a ball into coverage or hit a receiver in stride.

I think with whatever James Monroe decides to do with their offense it will take a lot of work to perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that Robertson would be qb? Did you see all of JM's games? I saw him throw some great passes during the season. I think we will be okay, whatever we decide....

In my system, Robertson would be the TB with Keisel and Thompson at FB. Who knows what will happen though.

As for Robertson's passing game, though he had an outstanding season running last year, his performance passing was somewhat disappointing. He actual had a better passing season in 2006.

Should my little scanerio pan out, the QB position would be a major ?.

After looking at last year's team, I don't see anyone outside of Taylor with any throwing experience. For that reason, I'd say he'll see at least some time beind center.

IF James Monroe goes to a non-single wing offense, there could very well be a QB change early in the season. It's happended in the past.

James Monroe has no where near the team speed to run th spread offense, just like Princeton found out the hard way this season. I think the should go away from the single-wing and go into a split back or i-formation. I love their physical style of football and hope they stick with it.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's time for JM to run the spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Rich Rod has been teaching his girlfriend in Peterstown to run the "spread" with those 112 phone calls he made.......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that Robertson would be qb? Did you see all of JM's games? I saw him throw some great passes during the season. I think we will be okay, whatever we decide....

[/ QUOTE ]

no I didnt see all of JM's games but from what I did see this year, especially in the first Bluefield game, he cannot throw under pressure if he HAS to. when it came down to james monroe HAVING to throw the ball and move downfield, bluefield actually played converage on the receivers on just swatted the ball down on every pass attempt. he had nothing on his throws, couldnt squeeze it inot coverage at all and couldnt lead his receivers. The good throws that I saw him make, whether it were on game film or against Bluefield, the receivers were completely open because of a play action and Roberston messed up glorious td oppotunities because he didnt lead them anywhere. Thats what im saying.

Now as far as him not being the QB and leaving him in at tailback, I think that would be a great idea. Finding a quarterback I think will be JM's toughest task. If they were to keep Roberston in at tb and have keisil, I believe is his name, at fb, and find a decent quarterback, then everything should go well with the program.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no I didnt see all of JM's games but from what I did see this year, especially in the first Bluefield game, he cannot throw under pressure if he HAS to. when it came down to james monroe HAVING to throw the ball and move downfield, bluefield actually played converage on the receivers on just swatted the ball down on every pass attempt. he had nothing on his throws, couldnt squeeze it inot coverage at all and couldnt lead his receivers. The good throws that I saw him make, whether it were on game film or against Bluefield, the receivers were completely open because of a play action and Roberston messed up glorious td oppotunities because he didnt lead them anywhere. Thats what im saying.

Now as far as him not being the QB and leaving him in at tailback, I think that would be a great idea. Finding a quarterback I think will be JM's toughest task. If they were to keep Roberston in at tb and have keisil, I believe is his name, at fb, and find a decent quarterback, then everything should go well with the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe a new coach will go away from the single wing, entirely, but will certainly add new formations. Although not everyone agrees with everything that's done on the field at all times, I don't believe we can complain about Coach Witt too much. A 53-10 record isn't so bad! And, yes, I believe whoever takes over will still play smash-mouth football. Our line will need reworking but we still have a lot of good kids. (I believe John Ballengee is a pretty good passer, but his size may hurt.)