Bluefield @ Logan

GetMoney55

the best point guard in the state is Noah Cotrill from Poca. Bevins is the best big man, ill give you that, but Logan has already lost twice this year. Ravenswood lost once, yes, but to a somewhat contending AAA team in Ripley. Ravenswood beat themselves in that game though.

Ravesnwood wins it all. Good team ball, unselfish. A subject that Bluefield's Turquan Casey hasnt learned yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

No one will beat Logan. Bevins is the best big man, and the also have the best point guard in Brantz O'bryan. (sp?) Billy Sorrell can light it up too... This team has experience as well, making it to the finals last year and were a quarter away from winning it all till they fell apart in the fourth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Logan is my pick for the state champion too. Bevins is one of the top players in the state and their whole team complements his performance. Unlike Bluefield, the whole Logan team can shoot. In particular, Sorrell has hit 40+ three point shots already this season.

as for Havens, i dont doubt his coaching abilities, however it seems like when Bluefield teams of the past have been successful, you guys have had a coach who was into the game and up/moving around and not just sitting there.

Gaither is a good example, he didnt sit on his keester.

at times when Bluefield done well under Gilliard, he wasnt sitting down either.

i agree with the theory of a power struggle, i actually thought the Asst. Coach in the pull over Blfd. Sweater (i suppose that was Jeff Broyles) acted more like the head coach at times in the game than Havens did.

JMO though

as for Williard is on track to break his total 3 point shots made last season, being 80 something....as pointed out he has 65 of last count.

but lets remember he had 11 in the first game of the season, you take that performance away and he's not done so well, but fact is fact he did it....sooo

plus his numbers could be much higer if 3pt ratio had he made at least one in Wyo. East's last game against Oak Hill, but he went the whole game without hitting a 3 and East still won by like 9 or 10!

as for a prediction for State Champ, well i'll put it to ya like this, if i was a betting man, i'd put my money on Logan.

as pointed out, you got Bevins who is arguably the best big man in the state.

O'Briant and Sorrell are dangerous from outside.

and dont forget about freshman player Paul Williams, who is and has been making a name for himself this year, plus so many more.

and not to mention the key mixture to it all, a very good head coach in Mark Hatcher.

i'll go ahead and go out on the limb and predict and "upset" in Region 5 of AA, i'll say that Winfield not only downs Poca, but i say they down Ravenswood in the regional game as well.

Caleb Ashley is a man child and with Lamar Clark back with that team, it makes them very dangerous!

i thought Ravenswood was much better last yr than they are this year and Winfield beat them (and they didnt have Clark either, this year they do!)

so i'll go Logan state champs, Winfield runners up

however dont sleep on R1 or R8 either, Magnolia/Weir will be tough...no matter which team makes the tourney and Wyoming East should get past Westside in sectionals and Mount View in regionals.

if they can get down there and get Willard stroking it from outside and get the big boys working the inside well, they could surprise some people!

[ QUOTE ]

speaking of hitting crazy 3's, as of about 2 weeks ago, Willard from Wyoming East had like 65

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't believe how he hit 3's when they played James Monroe @ Lindside. Willard had like 8 consecutive 3's.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

as for Havens, i dont doubt his coaching abilities, however it seems like when Bluefield teams of the past have been successful, you guys have had a coach who was into the game and up/moving around and not just sitting there.

Gaither is a good example, he didnt sit on his keester.

at times when Bluefield done well under Gilliard, he wasnt sitting down either.

i agree with the theory of a power struggle, i actually thought the Asst. Coach in the pull over Blfd. Sweater (i suppose that was Jeff Broyles) acted more like the head coach at times in the game than Havens did.

JMO though

as for Williard is on track to break his total 3 point shots made last season, being 80 something....as pointed out he has 65 of last count.

but lets remember he had 11 in the first game of the season, you take that performance away and he's not done so well, but fact is fact he did it....sooo

plus his numbers could be much higer if 3pt ratio had he made at least one in Wyo. East's last game against Oak Hill, but he went the whole game without hitting a 3 and East still won by like 9 or 10!

as for a prediction for State Champ, well i'll put it to ya like this, if i was a betting man, i'd put my money on Logan.

as pointed out, you got Bevins who is arguably the best big man in the state.

O'Briant and Sorrell are dangerous from outside.

and dont forget about freshman player Paul Williams, who is and has been making a name for himself this year, plus so many more.

and not to mention the key mixture to it all, a very good head coach in Mark Hatcher.

i'll go ahead and go out on the limb and predict and "upset" in Region 5 of AA, i'll say that Winfield not only downs Poca, but i say they down Ravenswood in the regional game as well.

Caleb Ashley is a man child and with Lamar Clark back with that team, it makes them very dangerous!

i thought Ravenswood was much better last yr than they are this year and Winfield beat them (and they didnt have Clark either, this year they do!)

so i'll go Logan state champs, Winfield runners up

however dont sleep on R1 or R8 either, Magnolia/Weir will be tough...no matter which team makes the tourney and Wyoming East should get past Westside in sectionals and Mount View in regionals.

if they can get down there and get Willard stroking it from outside and get the big boys working the inside well, they could surprise some people!

[/ QUOTE ]

here is my question, if logan makes it, and ravenswood loses to Winfield, could they matchuo in round one?

Presumably Logan will be 1, but with winfields forfeits could they be 8??? or will the coaches not let that effect their vote...

I don't see that happening. The coaches will vote Winfield no lower than a 5 or 6 in my opinion. IF, and I did say IF, Bluefield can make it to the state tournament I have a good feeling that they will be the #4 seed, like always. The coaches vote Bluefield the #4 seed so they will have the hardest possible road to a championship. If everything were to work out with seeding then #4 would beat #5, then have to play #1 in the semifinals, and if winning in the semi-finals then they would most likely play the #2 seed for the championship.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

i still say Ravenswood wins it all. Hasnt Logan already lost to one of Ravenswood or Winfield?

[/ QUOTE ]

they played ravenswood in a scrimmage.

winfield beat logan early in the season...

yeah Logan has already lost to Winfield once this season (@ Logan) and with the next matchup at Winfield, lots of the Logan faithful are expecting another loss, but should Winfield beat R'wood to make Charleston, like i think they will, well we all know the old saying "its hard to beat a good team 3xs"

the Westside/Logan championship game from 05 should be proof of that...Westside won both regular season games by a final of 56-53 but Logan won the championship game 60-56

i believe Winfield has the talent and ability to beat Ravenswood.

JMO though.

as for the seeding if this did happen i could see Winfield being seeded 4th or 5th.

assuming Winfield won i believe the top 5 seeds would look like this

Logan

Magnolia (cause i give them the edge against Weir)

Wyoming East

Winfield

Bluefield

Winfield/Bluefield could possibly be flipped flopped

again JMO

i mean you think about Ravenswood really hasnt played any caliber teams.

they play Wyo. East sometime this month, faced AAA Ripley, and faced AA Weir (and the Weir game has been the best challenge for them thus far)

Winfield has played a tougher skd. and should be tourney ready!

playing teams like Logan twice, Poca twice, and above average Summers Co. team, among others.

i just think Winfield has everything in their favor to win that region anyways...

Poca beat Winfield by about 12 the last time didnt they? What region does Poca play in because if they get into the tourney, I cant count them and Noah out. No one has been able to stop him this year, double or triple teamed. he's only a sophomore but he had the ability to lead his team to defeat a high powered Winfield team at Winfield so maybe he can lead them to advance well in the tourney.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

poca is in winfields section. poca beat winfield twice.... so the whole 3 imes thing comes into play again...

oh wow. this might be the acception to that rule. Noah Cotrill is nasty. I know how one man doesnt make a team, but when you have a top 10 recruit for his class on your team, it matters and can inspire a team.

if poca happens to get past winfield and ravenswood and into the tourney, they might just win it all.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah Logan has already lost to Winfield once this season (@ Logan) and with the next matchup at Winfield, lots of the Logan faithful are expecting another loss, but should Winfield beat R'wood to make Charleston, like i think they will, well we all know the old saying "its hard to beat a good team 3xs"

the Westside/Logan championship game from 05 should be proof of that...Westside won both regular season games by a final of 56-53 but Logan won the championship game 60-56

i believe Winfield has the talent and ability to beat Ravenswood.

JMO though.

as for the seeding if this did happen i could see Winfield being seeded 4th or 5th.

assuming Winfield won i believe the top 5 seeds would look like this

Logan

Magnolia (cause i give them the edge against Weir)

Wyoming East

Winfield

Bluefield

Winfield/Bluefield could possibly be flipped flopped

again JMO

i mean you think about Ravenswood really hasnt played any caliber teams.

they play Wyo. East sometime this month, faced AAA Ripley, and faced AA Weir (and the Weir game has been the best challenge for them thus far)

Winfield has played a tougher skd. and should be tourney ready!

playing teams like Logan twice, Poca twice, and above average Summers Co. team, among others.

i just think Winfield has everything in their favor to win that region anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

RenegadeFan, do you really think that Magnolia could come away with the #2 seed in the tournament? Not knocking anything you have said, but I haven't heard much noise about any team in the northern part of the state.

hokie07

i really think Magnolia could come away with a no. 2 seed, if the lineup i have makes charleston!

and thats a big if....

Magnolia returns just about everything, if not everything from last seasons team that upset the Beavs in the qt. finals!

i think Magonlia only has 3, maybe 4 loses if that.

so yeah i think they could easily be a no. 2 seed, IF the teams i had seeded makes it that is...

as for Poca/Winfield

they have actually already played 3xs!

Poca beat them in the first meeting by like 5pts in some holiday tourney.

the Winfield beat them pretty handily in the 2nd meeting

then Poca beats Winfield in the last meeting, but bare in mind Lamar Clark was not allowed to play....

the hard to be a good team 3xs is still in play there, cause Winfield got one over on Poca.

i think in the sectional matchup between Poca/Winfield, that Winfield has the edge, Poca and Cotrill is like Summers County and Gunnoe, find a way to slow him down or even stop him and you can beat them!

and Its possible cause they've done it...right now i think Pat McGinnis (Winfield coach) is arguably one of the better coaches in AA if not the state, for me it would be a toss up between him and Hatcher....JMO there...

i will go as far as to say if Poca upsets Winfield in the post season, they will not upset Ravenswood!

which will throw a wrench into how i see the state tourney being this season....haha

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

they still have to play Winfield again and that might just be another loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Logan just beat Winfield. 72-65.

After the way Bluefield played last night and from what i hear about tonight i really am not looking forward to

Logan coming to Bluefield. I think they will win big again if Bluefield plays sloppy and gets out hustled.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the final was 62-55, but the outcome was correct, Logan did win @ Winfield tonight.

Winfield is a top 5 if not top 3 team, anyone who things other wise is just crazy, they will beat Poca in sectionals and give R'wood all they want in regionals, and i still predict them to beat R'wood....lol

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the final was 62-55, but the outcome was correct, Logan did win @ Winfield tonight.

Winfield is a top 5 if not top 3 team, anyone who things other wise is just crazy, they will beat Poca in sectionals and give R'wood all they want in regionals, and i still predict them to beat R'wood....lol

[/ QUOTE ]

well i knew it was seven at least lol...

I dont think it will Logan no matter who comes out of that region, but i am leaning towards Winfield coming out more and more because of strength of schedule...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think it will Logan no matter who comes out of that region, but i am leaning towards Winfield coming out more and more because of strength of schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

BeaverTail, what did you mean when you said "i dont think will Logan"

???

sorry if i sound rude, just curious.

as for Winfield winning, i've thought all along they'd come outta that region again this season simply cause of Ashley and then add the element of Clark and they have a pretty good big man too and a great head coach who knows the game of basketball and then their SOS!!!

playing Logan twice, Poca 4xs (counting the holiday tourney and sectionals), and Summers Co. twice (Gunnoe is much like Cotrill, he'll get his numbers no matter what) among a few AAA schools.

Ravenswood has played Weir and Wyoming East (come Tuesday) and that will be it as far as competition goes...

Poca has played Wyo. East losing by 20 to them in Charleston (that is when Williard had 11 3's in one game!), Charleston Catholic, Logan 2xs, Winfield 4xs (counting the holiday tourney and sectional game)

again if they can slow Cotrill down or even stop him, Winfield should have this one in the bag!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BeaverTail, what did you mean when you said "i dont think will Logan"

???

sorry if i sound rude, just curious.

as for Winfield winning, i've thought all along they'd come outta that region again this season simply cause of Ashley and then add the element of Clark and they have a pretty good big man too and a great head coach who knows the game of basketball and then their SOS!!!

playing Logan twice, Poca 4xs (counting the holiday tourney and sectionals), and Summers Co. twice (Gunnoe is much like Cotrill, he'll get his numbers no matter what) among a few AAA schools.

Ravenswood has played Weir and Wyoming East (come Tuesday) and that will be it as far as competition goes...

Poca has played Wyo. East losing by 20 to them in Charleston (that is when Williard had 11 3's in one game!), Charleston Catholic, Logan 2xs, Winfield 4xs (counting the holiday tourney and sectional game)

again if they can slow Cotrill down or even stop him, Winfield should have this one in the bag!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no clue lol. i got lazy and didnt check/preview my post so i was probably trying to talk to my dad and tyoe at the same time as well.

anyways, what i was trying to say was, regardless of who comes out of that region, (poca,winfield, or ravenswood)i think Logan will still win it all.

Logan in my opinion is just going to be a force to be reckoned with because they excel at all parts of the game.

yeah i agree with ya on that...

i actually hate seeing them go to AAA, i think they make AA just so much more competitive...

which i talked with Mark just about all day at the Logan Shootout when you all played them down there and before your alls game, he told me that he figured Logan would be back down in AA after these four yrs.

said they barley meet the numbers for AAA and he doesnt figure them to keep the kids or bring any in to keep them up there, i told him if he wouldnt go recruit they wouldnt be in AAA now, we had a good laugh on that.

anyways

i think it sucks where the SSAC is sticking them, in the same region/section with South Charleston/George Washington...just a shame IMHO, cause now instead of one good team not going to be in Charleston your gonna be without two 9maybe three) depending on how the final region/section format looks.