Bluefield @ Logan

GetMoney55

just got word that Bluefield was down 70-49 with :20 left. Dont know how reliable that word is but we should see a true score tomorrow morning in the telegraph. Actually, I wouldnt count on that...games that start after 5:00 fall under late ending.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised by the score. I've said the entire season that Bluefield isn't on the elite level that teams such as Logan, Ravenswood, and Winfield are on. When you cannot consistently shot the ball from the outside and make free-throw you must control tempo and get into a run-n-gun type of game. Teams such as Logan are too good to allow a lesser team control tempo on them most nights.

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, I know Bluefield is down this year compared to years past, but when was the last time a Beaver team lost by 20+ to another WV AA school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Logan is a great team and just about every time Bluefield makes the trip up to Logan they come back with a loss. It wasn't too long ago that a team with Dexter Moore went up there and got beat pretty badly. Might not have been 20+, but I am almost positive that it was a double digit loss.

I will be one of the first to tell you that Bluefield is down this year and that Logan is a superior team. Unlike Bluefield, Logan shoots the ball well, and extremely well at home. Their gym rivals a tough college atmosphere as every child, student, and adult are on their feet making noise. It is a very intimidating place to play and I would venture to say probably the toughest place to place in all of WV basketball. As consistent as Logan is, I will honestly be shocked if they come down to Bluefield and win in such a convincing manner as they did at home.

[ QUOTE ]

Logan plays off the energy of 1 man....Bevins...

[/ QUOTE ]

Logan could beat a lot of teams without a good performance from Bevins. Brantz O'Briant and Brett Sorrell are both excellent shooters, and the way they run their offense it makes the other 2 players on the court just as dangerous.

Sorell is decent but Bevins is where it is at for Logan. Without him, they would be nothing. Last year when we played them, both games Bevins had 30+ points and everyone else had about 4(I know for a fact the game at Bluefield was Bevins 34, the high of anyone else was 5). That kid is a good player and it shows with his verbal commitment to WVU as a junior, but Logan is vulnerable. They already have two losses on the year so it shows they can be beat.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, I know Bluefield is down this year compared to years past, but when was the last time a Beaver team lost by 20+ to another WV AA school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Logan is a great team and just about every time Bluefield makes the trip up to Logan they come back with a loss. It wasn't too long ago that a team with Dexter Moore went up there and got beat pretty badly. Might not have been 20+, but I am almost positive that it was a double digit loss.

I will be one of the first to tell you that Bluefield is down this year and that Logan is a superior team. Unlike Bluefield, Logan shoots the ball well, and extremely well at home. Their gym rivals a tough college atmosphere as every child, student, and adult are on their feet making noise. It is a very intimidating place to play and I would venture to say probably the toughest place to place in all of WV basketball. As consistent as Logan is, I will honestly be shocked if they come down to Bluefield and win in such a convincing manner as they did at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

the last 2 years, dexs junior and senior season Bluefield lost by 1 or 2 both times... Junior year was the "phantom" foul according to bob redd that put Logan on the line to win the game...

may have been sophmore year though... im not sure...

I talked to Ansel Ponder today and he said that Bevins was using his height advantage and playing good fundamental basketball. Ansel said he put a hand in his face every time he could but Bevins was just too tall.

i dunno if i would say Logan runs off one player, being Bevins.

they've won plenty of games where Bevins wasnt the deciding factor.

as mentioned O'Briant and Sorrell are very dangerous and can hurt you if you try and double up on Bevins.

and not leave out Freshman standout Paul Williams.

he is gonna be one of the more tough if not the toughest player in the state come his senior year!

Mark has got a good sqaud of athletes on his team at Logan, if you try and take one out, two or three others could step up at any given time.

one thing that shocked me about Bluefield is just how they seemed to give up after getting down.

Bluefield teams in time past have never done that, not even under Gilliard.

Bluefield has some pure talent for sure!

Craig Ponder is gonna be a good player/play maker for Bluefield in the future!

another thing im shocked about concerning the Beavs is the action of the new coach, or should i say lack there of?

in the Logan game, he just set on the bench for the most part.

Mark was up howlering and cheering and encouraging his team, but the Beavs coach just sat there.

i know he is the fomrer Montcalm coach and all, but would figure he'd be more into games than what he was/is.

thank you for noticing what i have said all season about Havens. He cant coach once his first plan is gone. If his initial gameplan is torched, he has no backup and will just sit on the bench with his hands on his face watching his team go down the drain.

[ QUOTE ]

one thing that shocked me about Bluefield is just how they seemed to give up after getting down.

Bluefield teams in time past have never done that, not even under Gilliard.

another thing im shocked about concerning the Beavs is the action of the new coach, or should i say lack there of?

in the Logan game, he just set on the bench for the most part.

Mark was up howlering and cheering and encouraging his team, but the Beavs coach just sat there.

i know he is the fomrer Montcalm coach and all, but would figure he'd be more into games than what he was/is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see others have noticed this as well...I didn't think he was the right choice from the beginning and now its becoming more and more obvious...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i blame it somewhat on Jeff Broyles. Seems to me as if he is trying to be the head coach, and it is hurting the team. Ive been on a team like that, and the players really dont know who to look up to and hear instructions from...

i think the coaches do not know either, so that is why havens is being so passive. I know Havens and jeff are big buds but how i see it is that the relationship on the golf course and the basketball court is completely different.

but that is just my take...

[ QUOTE ]

i blame it somewhat on Jeff Broyles. Seems to me as if he is trying to be the head coach, and it is hurting the team. Ive been on a team like that, and the players really dont know who to look up to and hear instructions from...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well somebody has to act like the HC. When players come off the court he gives them high fives and tells them good job. Havens sits there...

Plus Broyles was on the 95-96 coaching staff that won state titles, so im sure he knows what he's doing.

the players continue to tell me that Boyles is the one who does stuff in practice. Havens just gets mad and makes them run sprints when he is mad. Boyles is giving them tips, getting mad at them verbally without the physical punishment for missing a shot, and other things that are making him more likeable.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Just seems like there might be a power struggle going on. Lets keep in mind these 2 are friends, so they may not want to do something to upset the other.

I know from Havens past experiences he was very lively on the court, i saw him rarely coach before but he seemed vocal. Seemed like he got after the officals too, and i think he has gotten in trouble for it too... lol

either way, im not gonna down him just yet. I wish he would run more full court press but i havent the beavers play a close game in awhile where he could do it either. Seemed like he did it a lot last night... I do applaud him for beating a Princeton team this time around, and maybe he can do the same with Logan. Lets not forget this Logan team will almost assuredly be the state champs in my mind...

Havens will be alright, its just a big step from montcalm, no offense...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well somebody has to act like the HC. When players come off the court he gives them high fives and tells them good job. Havens sits there...

Plus Broyles was on the 95-96 coaching staff that won state titles, so im sure he knows what he's doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

technically i give that job to the assistant coaches... i am a student of Roy Williams, i absolutely love him. It is very rare that he high fives any of his players... only when they do exceptionally well, especially on defense does he give them a pat on the back... and trust me ive noticed his subtle ways, from where he takes off his glasses on timeouts and puts them in his left shirt pocket...

the thing is, he doesnt argue calls. forget what he was known for because he hasnt shown it yet. I turned around in the stands at the last pikeview game played at BSC when Havens actually expressed disappointed to a ref and then continued to coach a player and said "HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS, THE MAN IS COACHING!" and it got a good laugh. It bothered me last baseball season when we had coaches who didnt argue crap and now its bothering me again with Havens at head basketball coach.

As for Logan winning it all, I dont see it. I say Ravenswood gets it. Mullins is nasty for them and they play some great team ball.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

As an offical, a coach will get more calls by actually discussing and talking to the officals rather than making a big scene. I guarantee it every time with most veteran officals. So maybe we arent seeing havens argue, but i did during the BSC pikeview game, they were very subtle, but i thought he did a good job.

The only fault i found in havens (i was sitting behind the bench) was that he was slow to respond to his players when calling plays and defenses. If he would be quick and strong players may have more confidence running a defense rather than having to wait for a decision is made wondering what Havens is thinking...

No one will beat Logan. Bevins is the best big man, and the also have the best point guard in Brantz O'bryan. (sp?) Billy Sorrell can light it up too... This team has experience as well, making it to the finals last year and were a quarter away from winning it all till they fell apart in the fourth...