Tourney!!

richmondhunters2

If you want to take them all, then why play a District Tournament?? Shouldn't a 20 game regular season mean something. You don't want our "small schools" to have to play guys like GW...lol. GW has 444 students...JJKelly has more than that. Go to VHSL.org and look at who the "small schools" will have to play if they make it to the state quarterfinals and beyond. Division I in Region A and B have teams with 459--Mathews, 421 Franklin, 624--Nelson County, 618--Manassas Park, 588--Buffalo Gap. In Region B the smallest school is Rappahannock County with 341, that's 60 students larger than our, Region D, largest school in DI (Haysi--280).

I'm just not sure how anyone can think this benefits anyone in the long run. Yes, it may help a few of the Div. I teams get past the Regional Tournament, but the bottom line is you still have to be a really good team to go any further. DIVISIONAL SPLITS IS NOT THE ANSWER!!

The divisional splits do not change anything really. When teams from SWVA got to state they had to play the largest of the large schools in single A anyway. TV a few years ago played Clarke County in the state finals. A school that until Lee moved down was the largest in single A. Just like you were saying, the larger schools in Regions A and B D1 are still larger than most D2 schools in Regions C or D. the splits didn't really change anything it just creates more games---more money for VHSL.

Concerning was said above about Hurley and the importance of district tourneys. Why did they even play the "play-in" game the other night if the loser was going to regionals anyway? Why play a district tourney at all? Are all the teams from the BDD going to be in the regionals? I know Honaker is D2, but are all the others going to the tourney in D1? If so, what's the point? Just take the way they finished in the regular season and seed them accordingly.

The reason they play the tournaments is for points toward seeding. It justifies ranking a Rye Cove for instance higher than a Hurley. Or a TV higher than a JI Burton. I understand why they do it but it makes no sense to let teams in that are that bad. I read in the BHC today that Holston's girls qualified for the Region tournament. Taking nothing away from those coaches or kids, but a team that has an 0-20 record doesn not deserve a regional appearance. Same goes for anyone else with that type of record. If you want everyone to make the Regional Tourny, take the 24 teams in DI and DII put them into 4 brackets of 6, rank the teams 1-6, and have a DI and DII winner. Forget the district tournaments and seed based on regular season district record and non-district record. All the tie breakers could still apply. A lot of these teams face the challenge of playing any one particular team 4-5 times. Take the BDD for instance, you play each team twice in reg. season, most likely once in the district tourn. and run the possibility of playing that same opponent in the Regional tourny. Thats 5 times and your not even into the state tourny.

The good thing... is you wont be playing Gate City, George Wythe or Clark County.. And you should'nt. At least they are trying something... still honaker and castlewood will be playing teams with almost twice their size enrollment!! Va needs a 4-A or 5-A classification.

[ QUOTE ]

The good thing... is you wont be playing Gate City, George Wythe or Clark County.. And you should'nt. At least they are trying something... still honaker and castlewood will be playing teams with almost twice their size enrollment!! Va needs a 4-A or 5-A classification.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you will have to play Nelson County (624), Manassas Park (618) Buffalo Gap (588), so not alot of difference? The numbers way above even some of C & D's Division 2. The current system as everyone knows is flawed, but really is anything going to be done about it?